Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 22, 2013.

?

borg for Trek 3

1. yes.

20.7%
  2. no.

70.7%
  3. save them for ST 4 (if there is one)

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Let's really freak out the hardliners: The refitted Enterprise's new M-5 Computer System freaks out and begins assimilating the crew in order to make the Enterprie more effecient.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I honestly don't think that the choice of villain is a contributing factor to how good the movie will be. Khan was the villain in two films. The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. One was excellent, the other was a steaming pile of targ manure. So I don't give a shit about whether the Borg are the villain or not. I just want a good movie.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Boy, you don't find too many people who don't like The Wrath of Khan! :eek:

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's..... possible that it could actually happen. From a marketing perspective, putting aside the fact that it would make some people's heads explode for the alleged 'wrongness' of having the Borg in the TOS era, it would be a no brainer to use the Borg because, like it or not, they are one of Star Trek's most identifiable things for a broad population. Just like Khan. And the bottom line to those marketing guys is just being able to put the Borg on the poster so that people will go out and buy a movie ticket. ;)

From a personal perspective, I hope it doesn't happen. I hope they can be more original, even if that means giving us a new villain from an already established alien race, just as they did with Nero the Romulan in the 2009 movie. Maybe the well-worn Klingons? Or maybe even give us a villain who isn't identifiable by his/her association with a past Star Trek race..... a brand new face. I mean, it can happen, right? :devil:

Or maybe they could find a middle ground, and throw a curve ball into the mix: a villain from the Prime Trek universe who has already been established as having actually existed in the TOS era, but who were never actually seen facing off against the TOS crew, thus satisfying all the above criteria. The 2009 movie clearly stated that Cardassians were known to this version of Starfleet's finest..... maybe make the villain Gul Somebody-or-other, and have our first chronological experience of Starfleet-versus-Cardassia? :cardie: If Star Trek Into Darkness established one thing, it's that the DS9 era (Section 31) could be a particular gold-mine for the writers. :)

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Just about any of the "God" Living-Computers from TOS would be a set up for a Borg story. Landru, M-5, Val, all of them could used as a story point about a computer creating a species of "Borg" out of their respective races.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Wrath of Khan was never Teh Best Star Trek Evar, not by a long shot, but I think "steaming pile of targ manure" is a bit strong.

7. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Will Nick Meyer ever catch a break from Trek fans? WTF...

8. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Borg would be great, I miss them! Was really disappointed with the glimpse of NuKlingons, but perhaps seeing more of them will reveal some awesomeness still intact.
    The advancements in CGI could deliver some pretty immense Borg, as long as they don't clean them up, over do it and, ruin it.

9. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kind of think the star trek franchise might want to move on from the Borg now. We've already killed their Queen on film. If we're gonna fight them again, maybe make it destroy the Borg for good.

Otherwise, the Borg will forever be the be-all-end-all star trek villain. Will Star Trek ever again have an alien race that becomes as menacing as the Borg? I think it should try atleast

10. BillJ

It has been eleven years since they've been on screen (nearly twenty since their sole appearance on the big screen). Just because Trek fans have seen every appearance numerous times and dissected them to death doesn't mean general audiences have.

I think a Borg movie made by the current Powers That Be has the absolute best chance Trek has to be a seven-hundred million to a billion dollar grossing film.

11. Tiberius

I think they are joking. The steaming pile of targ manure I was referring to is STiD. I think TWoK is an excellent movie.

12. BillJ

We all know.

I was more just acknowledging the comment as another drive-by insult on Star Trek Into Darkness.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think it has gotten to the point that the Borg are almost as much of a household name to non Star Trek fans as Klingons are. I've heard the term "resistance is futile" from several people who have never seen Star Trek. I have a feeling people would love the Borg on the big screen again.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

You'd have to horror-show them up a bit more. Really amp up the undead/zombie aspect of them. It'd have to go further than space-vampires form FC and VOY and go for the scare.

Where as there as those--like me--that think, TWOK is an over hyped--at best--average film that makes the TOS crew look like out of touch idiots.

Not to mention: The same crap was being said (the now beloved) TWOK. And I'd wager, by some of the same people that now herald as the pinnacle of Trek film.

15. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

True. Just watched it again this morning.

STID is a pretty darn good movie.

Although I'm one of those that thinks TWoK is treks finest. ;)

16. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Probably makes the.most sense for a big name among general fans. Even people who are not fans know a little about the Borg. Could get a boost from the rise of zombie movies recnrly.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't want the Abramsverse to do a Borg story, but unfortunately I suspect that they still will. Oh well, I admit I'm curious as to how the different timeline would explain the Borg's presence this early...

18. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

You all DO realize that by voting "no" you have effectively guaranteed that the Borg will appear in ST3... right?

Okay, I jest. But only kind of: the writers have demonstrated a propensity to figure out exactly what the most hardcore fans of Star Trek claim to want and then do the EXACT OPPOSITE in awesome style. It's almost as if they're intentionally giving us the finger; it's almost as if we deserve it.

Moreover, JJ Abrams has approached the franchise largely from an outsider's point of view, similar to the way Joss Whedon handled "The Avengers" (Sam Raimi did the same thing for Spiderman, though it didn't work out as well in the third one). He's pretty much distilled the entire franchise into a handful of Awesome Moments, modernized/reinterpreted/reinvented those Awesome Moments, and then built movies around them.

If/when they decide to do a Borg movie, it won't be just the Borg. They'll try to stick at least two other major villains into it, because, fuck it, it's the third movie, so obviously we need three villains. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be the Klingons launching a suicidal invasion of the Federation and the Enterprise helping Starfleet crush them, only to discover that the Klingons are actually fleeing from a Borg invasion or something like that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I can see it now:

"Establish a connection to New Vulcan"

"What the hell? Do you know what time it is here?"

"Have you ever heard of a race called the Borg?

"You know I swore an oath never to divulge the future...they are the most dangerous enemy the Enterprise has ever known."

"You said that about Khan"

"Hey, you called me!"

20. Tiberius

Hardly a drive by insult. I can point out flaws in the story that I can use to justify my dislike of the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.