Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #586
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
I'm basically saying I ultimately don't agree with piracy (content creators need to be paid just like I do) but that the constant antics of the big studios to leverage more and more money from those of us honest enough to pay for content often makes me tempted to do the "wrong" thing.
Everyone who was involved in making Star Trek TNG was paid for their hard work a very long time ago. I doubt many of those same people are seeing much in the way of royalties from these overpriced Blu-ray sets. The only pockets being lined by fans in the UK paying £60 a piece for these sets when they could go elsewhere for half the price, are those of the money grabbing suits at CBS.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #587
trekker670
Captain

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
USS KG5 wrote: View Post
I'm basically saying I ultimately don't agree with piracy (content creators need to be paid just like I do) but that the constant antics of the big studios to leverage more and more money from those of us honest enough to pay for content often makes me tempted to do the "wrong" thing.
Everyone who was involved in making Star Trek TNG was paid for their hard work a very long time ago. I doubt many of those same people are seeing much in the way of royalties from these overpriced Blu-ray sets. The only pockets being lined by fans in the UK paying £60 a piece for these sets when they could go elsewhere for half the price, are those of the money grabbing suits at CBS.
First, those involved in the original production do still receive royalties for their work.

Second, there's new work being put into these sets that require the money made from sales: scanning film, redoing effects, paying the interviewees/commentators/etc., creating new features, creating the physical media, the list goes on...

Your justification for pirating these sets falls flat. If it makes you feel better, fine, but it doesn't make it any more legally or morally right.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #588
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post

Your justification for pirating these sets falls flat. If it makes you feel better, fine, but it doesn't make it any more legally or morally right.
I agree to a point. But I also don't think it's cool that CBS is trying to soak foreign territories on the cost of these sets.

I would steer clear of them if the prices were too high and nab them on the resale market once the prices started to come down.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #589
trekker670
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

I agree to a point. But I also don't think it's cool that CBS is trying to soak foreign territories on the cost of these sets.

I would steer clear of them if the prices were too high and nab them on the resale market once the prices started to come down.
Agreed, I was commenting only on the advocacy of pirating.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #590
Admiral Bear
Captain

First, those involved in the original production do still receive royalties for their work.
I never said they didn't. But if it's more than a cheque for a few dollars once a year, I'll be surprised.

Second, there's new work being put into these sets that require the money made from sales: scanning film, redoing effects, paying the interviewees/commentators/etc., creating new features, creating the physical media, the list goes on...
True, but nothing that justifies the cost of the sets. If there were no special features, and that substantially cut the price of the sets, I could live without them. Many of them have just moved over from the old DVD sets, so there's no extra cost there.

I'm all for making myself feel better. Ain't no one else gonna do it for me. Besides, CBS ripping the fans off with these prices puts them on pretty ropey moral ground as well. If I'd been part of the TNG filming crew 25 years ago, I'm not sure I'd be bothered about getting a pittance in royalties for work I'd done that long ago. I'd want as many people to see that work in the same quality that it was originally shot in, not see them priced out of seeing it by a money grabbing studio that's been milking them for years.

Have you seen the forthcoming Star Trek Compendium Blu-ray release of the first 2 Abrams films? First CBS issue retailer exclusive discs of In to Darkness with different special features at each retailer knowing full well it will piss off the fans. The fans rightly complain. Even the Digital Bits got in a state over it. A year later, CBS announces that they're releasing both films with all the special features together for another $34. Bunch of fothermuckers.

What next in a few years time? TNG in 4K for another $60 a season?
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #591
trekker670
Captain

True, but nothing that justifies the cost of the sets. If there were no special features, and that substantially cut the price of the sets, I could live without them. Many of them have just moved over from the old DVD sets, so there's no extra cost there.
That's your opinion. Obviously the numerous marketers, researchers, and thousands of customers that have purchased these think that the costs are justified. If you can't justify the price and can live without them, then that's your prerogative. What you're doing is pirating the sets, so you're not living without them as you say. You're reaping the benefits of owning the set by pirating and robbing the parties involved.

I'm all for making myself feel better. Ain't no one else gonna do it for me. Besides, CBS ripping the fans off with these prices puts them on pretty ropey moral ground as well. If I'd been part of the TNG filming crew 25 years ago, I'm not sure I'd be bothered about getting a pittance in royalties for work I'd done that long ago. I'd want as many people to see that work in the same quality that it was originally shot in, not see them priced out of seeing it by a money grabbing studio that's been milking them for years.
Again, this is your opinion. You're in the vocal minority that believes these sets are overpriced. They've all been in the top sellers when they're released, so it's easy to see that most people don't agree.

You're obviously not someone involved in the industry. This their jobs. This is their livelihood. As a fan, it's easy to say that you'd want to see Star Trek freely, but that's not how it works.

Have you seen the forthcoming Star Trek Compendium Blu-ray release of the first 2 Abrams films? First CBS issue retailer exclusive discs of In to Darkness with different special features at each retailer knowing full well it will piss off the fans. The fans rightly complain. Even the Digital Bits got in a state over it. A year later, CBS announces that they're releasing both films with all the special features together for another $34.
Paramount handles the movie releases. CBS handles the TV shows. CBS has nothing to do with this release...
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #592
Admiral Bear
Captain

That's your opinion. Obviously the numerous marketers, researchers, and thousands of customers that have purchased these think that the costs are justified. If you can't justify the price and can live without them, then that's your prerogative. What you're doing is pirating the sets, so you're not living without them as you say. You're reaping the benefits of owning the set by pirating and robbing the parties involved.
Get your facts straight. I've pirated nothing, aside from one episode from season 6 to see the picture quality, nor have I said I've done any different. I've bought all of the first 5 seasons on Blu-ray, and have already said I'll be buying the much cheaper Italian season 6 set when it's released. I also own all 7 seasons on DVD, which I paid £50 each for when they were first released.

Also, I said I could live without the special features if they were responsible for increasing the price of the sets. I didn't say that I can't justify the price of the sets therefore I've illegally downloaded them. You seem to be making up things that I've not said in order to suit an agenda.

Please don't.
Old Today, 05:00 AM   #593
Tosk
Rear Admiral

How tedious.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #594
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

You're in the vocal minority that believes these sets are overpriced. They've all been in the top sellers when they're released, so it's easy to see that most people don't agree.
That doesn't follow. Most people haven't bought these sets. Most people don't even like Star Trek. Most people would look at a 25 year old TV show and say "HOW MUCH??!"

We're already a minority of hardcore fans; when some of us lot start thinking the sets are too pricey, it's worth taking note!
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote