Shipper war: Spock/Uhura or Spock/Chapel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DevilEyes, Jun 28, 2009.

?

Which pairing do you prefer...

1. Spock/Uhura

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Spock/Christine Chapel

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. someone else - I prefered episodic love interests who weren't part of the crew

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. I don't want Spock to have a love interest at all

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eversince ST09 came out and word hit the Internet about Spock/Uhura romance (even before everyone actually saw it), there's a been a lot of debates and shipper/antishipper wars, with attitudes that can be roughly summed up this way:

- One group consists of antishippers who hate the idea of Spock having a love interest at all (especially one that does not belong to the 'disposable guest star love interest' category').

- Another group consists of Spock/Chapel shippers who are dissatisifed with the storyline because they would prefer Chapel to have been Spock's love interest in the movie;

- Finally, Spock/Uhura shippers: consists of people who love Spock/Uhura in the movie and don't care about the storyline of Chapel's unrequited love for Spock, don't see the relevance, or think that Spock/Uhura is a better pairing. A subgroup consists of people who already shipped Spock/Uhura in TOS, prefered it to Spock/Chapel paiting and felt disappointed thatit wasn't developed more, and who feel about the new movie as a long-awaited victory ;)

These are pretty much the attitudes I've seen on various forums, please add if I've missed any.

So, let's see the demographics on this forum...

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIPxS-ZPGnk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3Fc14xOu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfdPwvA9wIQ

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur53104.cfm

2. Toruika

Toruika Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I voted for S/C but I also like S/U within the context that they came together after months of keeping their relationship platonic, with the events of the movie finally bringing them together. It was a shocker for me, when I saw the movie, but when I saw clips for the basis, from TOS, then I was cool with it.

I would like to see S/C or perhaps a love triangle with S/C and S/U in the next movie, but then, that'd probably make for a Sci-Fi RomCom which will make all the boys groan, so I'll just have to settle for undercurrents of romance tossed in as an afterthought.

:sigh:

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock/Uhura, Spock/Chapel I really don't care and wouldn't have a problem with either one.

But since they went the Spock/Uhura route in Star Trek they should stick with it. And no love triangles, thank you very much.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Got to go with Uhura. Even as a kid, I always found Nurse Chapel boring. (Forgive me, Majel.)

5. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock/Uhura is far more interesting and (the horror!) new and different. Why do people keep wanting to see exactly what they saw in TOS again? Just watch the DVDs!

6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'm going to have all the choices. Infinite timelines in infinite diversity.

7. soot

soot Lieutenant Red Shirt

S/U, even before the new movie, actually. There was an article in some volume of The Best of Trek that convinced me when I was a youngin.

8. Toruika

Toruika Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There ya go. Thread closed. ;)

9. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

He, he. ;) It's why I like the books; canon nuts beware dragons there.

10. Cassy4

Cassy4 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I thought I read in an interview with Abrams that S and U's relationship wasn't romantic until that scene on the ship in the elevator thingy(whatever it's called). He was emotionally vulnerable from seeing his planet destroyed and his mother killed so he was more willing to except...comfort from Uhura. It may just be the fangirl in me, but I'm hoping they continue this relationship in the upcoming films. I think it could be interesting to see what effect it would have on the character of Spock, and I'm not exactly sure, but from what I've seen of TOS they never really had any ongoing relationships did they? I agree though, I prefer the S/U thing in the context that their relationship was platonic until the events of the movie changed it to a romantic one.

I have seen TOS so I'm aware of where the arguments come from that Spock shouldn't be in a relationship. However, given that its an alternate timeline and therefore anything is up for grabs, he could explore his human side more than in TOS. Plus, given that Vulcan is destroyed and his mother is dead, that may give him more of an interest in honoring his human half. IMO... I love Nimoy Spock in TOS but I would rather see them take Spock in a different direction in these movies. As long as they keep his character mostly intact.

11. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

:lol: And there's the beauty of alternate timelines for all the naysayers!

I voted Spock/Uhura because the new movie was my first experience with TOS characters, and I absolutely loved the way their romance was handled. Just brief glimpses in the background that didn't have a bearing on the main plot. It seemed mature and strong, and I pray they don't have a triangle subplot in the next one. I think it would be nice as an unspoken constant, but I fear that TPTB will jostle it lest it stagnate.

Anyway, I enjoy Spock/Chapel scenes in TOS just the same. She seems sweet and, bless her heart, I just want to give her a hug everytime she reaches out for Spock and he doesn't respond in kind. However, I don't think she is vivacious enough to hold his interest. There seems to be more of a spark between Spock and Uhura in the scene in Charlie X, where he's playing the lyre and she's singing. The smile he gives her... :adore:

I dislike almost all of the episodic women he was with, mostly because he was out of character for some reason when interested in them (spores, regression due to going back in time, etc). I understand the necessity of some kind of catalyst to temporarily modify his behavior, and it's fun to watch, but it does little for long-term interest. Also, they seemed rather bland as characters (I'm thinking specifically of Droxine, Zarabeth, and Leila). All blonde and soft-focused and smiling like lovesick puppies. I don't mind sweet, innocent characters, but come on, girls. You have to work harder than that if you want to keep a Vulcan after he's come down from outside influence.

12. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

Ummm...this is a "no vote" ("hell, no!" ) for a love triangle of any sort in XII from this female fan. (A really OLD femail fan.) :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  13. Rackon

Yup, so true!

FYI, Spock gets much higher quality nookie in the books.

I always thought S/U would've been a great development in TOS, but Paramount was much too timid for that - heck, they had a hemorhage over the K/U kiss. That, BTW, was originally to be a S/U smooch.

14. Rackon

Cassy, I don't remember ever reading this, but it doesn't mean JJ didn't say it. Do you have a link?

The way the actors played it, it seemed to me that they were already lovers...or certainly IN love with each other, requited or otherwise. The scene in the shuttle hanger certainly implies a sexual relationship. Also, their interactions and body language in most scenes seems to support a serious relationship(e.g. as Spock hurries from the bridge to beam down to Vulcan).

15. DataRules

DataRules Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Are you kidding? After the movie "Obsessed," we really don't need another movie with a triangle like that. And let's fact it, we all know that no matter what happens in the movie, it will turn into a female race war among the fans. Look no further than the IMDB forum for the movie. :scream:

I fail to understand why we're even addressing this. :rolleyes: If Abrams put Spock with Chapel, we wouldn't even entertain the possibility of Spock choosing Uhura. There would be no polls, no controversial threads, and no questions asked.

I can't believe that so many people like Star Trek, but can't handle Uhura being the romantic lead. :sigh: Things like this really tick me off! :mad:

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Greg, does that mean we can look forward to Sp/U nuance in your subsequent Trek novels?! :p

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

you didn't like the Romulan Commander?

18. Rackon

Ah, you're right there. But that was a ruse.

Personally, I always thought Spock dug her.

19. Rackon

Yes, please.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nothing definite in the works at the moment, but maybe someday . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.