DS9 Relaunch novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by comicbookwriter, Aug 27, 2008.

1. comicbookwriter

comicbookwriter Captain Captain

Can someone help me with a website that has full synopsis of the DS9 novels? Or does someone feel like telling me the basics of what happened in each of the new novels.

I don't mind spoilers...

Thanks in advance...
    CBW

2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

This is easy. People's bodies are possessed. It takes a while to figure it out. Some secondary screen characters die. Sisko comes back. Bajor joins the federation. Kira almost dies. Odo and Laas are the Dominion. Jake gets married. Ro Laren is apart of the cast and also almost dies. The Andorians are a dying species. The Ferengi culture has changed dramatically under Nagus Rom. Quark is still Quark. Garak is helping rebuild Cardassia. Obrien and family (if I remember correctly) are actually living on Cardassia. Bashir and Ezri are still lame, but fortunately not a couple anymore.

If you want details on how all this happened, then yeah, it's time to actually pick up the books.

4. comicbookwriter

Thanks. But that's why I asked for LINKS first. That's why I came here, to the TREK BBS LITERATURE board to get this information. I didn't expect people to spend a lot of time doing anything.

CBW

5. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yeah, you did. Sorry about that. I was having flash backs to that previous thread.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to be snotty here or anything, but is there some reason you can't read the books? No matter how good a synopsis is, it still isn't anywhere near as thorough as actually reading the book.

7. comicbookwriter

Sure, I teach 12th grade history and economics in NYC public schools, I have an afterschool job, I am writing 2 comic book series and a novel. And I have a social life.

I am currently reading Stephen King's THE STAND, Michael Resnick's PARADISE, and rewatching DS9 season 4.

I just wanted to know the current state of affairs in the 24th century world of Trek. I love the DS9 characters, and I wanted to know how they were doing and what they were doing since we last saw them in WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND.

That's basically it.

CBW

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here is the personel section of MB's page for the station...

http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Deep_Space_9#Residents

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, it sounds like you have a legit reason for not reading the books. I was just afraid you were one of those people who was simply to lazy to read them.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sorry, but I find that insulting. You saying "I have a social life" kinda infers that you think the rest of us don't have one.

I have a full time teaching job, too, am always working on several professional writing projects, plus maintaining several websites and blogs (both recreational and work-related), and my social life - and I often fall behind on my ST reading, but if I really, really need to know what happens in a certain ST novel I try to find snatches of time to read it.

Synopses of books you can't find the time to read are no replacement for reading books that are so low on your priority list that you have decided you'll never get to them. If your yearning to know what happens in ST was higher, surely you'd be reading ST instead of "The Stand" and "Paradise"?

11. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

None of which are infinite tasks. When you finish those you can start other books you want to read. If you are truly that interested in them you can make time for them like you did with these.

12. David Henderson

David Henderson Commodore Commodore

You mean "implies", not "infers"... but I actually don't think it does either of those things. It seems to me that mentioning a social life in this context is merely one more thing, on top of all the other things already mentioned, that is taking this person's time.

And I don't see the problem with the question in the first place. I enjoy the Star Wars films, and though I don't read the Star Wars books, I do know that they have an ongoing continuity. At some point, I feel curious about the "current state of things" in the Star Wars book universe. In my case, I am fairly good at figuring out the right search terms in Google to find a good site to explain things, though I'd probably start my search at starwars.com or theforce.net. However, if I were unaware of these two sites, and less skilled at formulating queries (I probably couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for with a simple "star wars books" query; I'd expect to need to narrow the search further), I might very well stop by a discussion board and ask for a quick update on how things currently stand.

Curiosity is not a bad thing.

davidh

13. comicbookwriter

You're making a lot of ridiculous assumptions here, but I will make myself a bit clearer since there always seems to be someone lurking around waiting for an excuse to be disagreeable.

I didn't say they were "low" on my priority list. I do have things I want to do and things I need to do. I love Trek, and especially DS9. However, the Trek novels are being produced at a fast rate and in high numbers. I can't afford to follow them all, which is a reason that there are websites out there that have SYNOPSES of the stories.

I don't feel the need to justify why I choose to read certain books and when I choose to read them. I use TrekBBS as a fantastic resource and a direct conduit to like-minded Trek fans and so on. I asked for info, and I got it.

Frankly, I had no idea anyone could find a reason to be "offended" by words that had absolutely no ill will or motives behind them.

There is no requirement to read anything, and since I have already received the information I need badgering me through this thread is childish and a waste of everyone's time.

Yes, I DO have a social life, and much of that is not centered around DS9 novels. I wanted to know about my favorite characters, and I am done. Anything else said here in a negative light will be catastrophically simple minded.

CBW

14. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

I think people are being a bit harsh on you, but there's something to be said for: "If you want to find out what happens, go buy the books". After all the authors have to earn a living and you're basically asking for part of their work for free. I'd actually suggest you pick up Unity, as it has a timeline in the front that briefly summarises the entire series to date.

15. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Let's be easing up off CBW's back, y'all. He's good people.

16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People, plural? Multiple personality disorder, eh. Hope one of 'em isn't a creepy serial killer... *eyes CBW suspiciously and starts backing away*

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're really quick reads and should be able to be picked up pretty cheaply. I've never read any licensed-tie-in fiction before, so it was a very nice surprise how quality the characterisations are. The latest book is excellent in that regard. Someday full audio-video synthesis of the actors will hopefully make it possible for someone to visualise these; in the meantime my imagination is doing a fine job.

18. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss that life. [sniff] Take good care of it for me.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Social life?

Wait, yes... it seems to me that I remember having one of those... A long time ago, before the fantasy series and two comics series and Star Trek and movie treatment...

But what the hell, the social life didn't bring in as much cash, so I don't miss it!

Hum-fucking-bug etc

20. comicbookwriter

I am not asking for a free PDF of the books (which would be akin to stealing their work), I am asking for a synopsis... do people know what a synopsis really is and how that works?

Its the same when you go to Itunes and get a 30 second snippet of a song, its just a taste for what it sounds like. I usually support STAR TREK related titles considering how I already own nearly 30 TOS novels, 2 TNG novels, 5 DS9 novels, and a slew of technical journals, the star charts, the blueprint books and the official timeline/encyclopedia.

Not to mention I bought 5 of the STRANGE NEW WORLDS books.

I don't believe I can be accused of "not supporting Trek authors."

I wanted a capsule of what happened, not a copy of the book for free.

CBW