The fate of Tryla Scott

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JM1776, Mar 8, 2008.

1. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's just say that she survived.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just as an aside, the parasite-controlled folks themselves seemed to keep their phasers on stun rather than kill. Observe how the blast from Aaron's phaser leaves no mark on the walls of SF HQ when he fires at Picard and Riker and misses!

It might well be that Riker disregarded Crusher's advice on phaser settings, feeling pity for the hosts. He, too, might have had his weapon on heavy stun.

Timo Saloniemi

3. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That seems reasonable, in that the they know a phaser set on stun is quite effective against their opposition.

Possible, but unlikely, in that it took a lengthy blast, probably on heavy stun, to take down Quinn, who'd already been hit by another shorter burst and engaged in combat with both Riker and Worf. Riker understood the stakes.

4. Timo

Fortunately for Riker's victims, the Type 1 phasers of TNG had eight settings. We know the highest one makes people disappear, so that one wasn't used. But there's plenty of gradual ramp-up between "tickle" and "hit so hard his heart goes through his spine in flames". Perhaps 1-3 is stun and 4-7 is kill, as suggested in the TNG Tech Manual, but 4 doesn't burn big holes in you yet. Crusher might have used 3 and recommended 4, which we know doesn't damage clothing yet (Riker used 5 against Yuta in "The Vengeance Factor, and her dress stayed intact).

Too bad we never got a closeup of Riker's phaser dials here... They managed to keep it surprisingly consistent in "Vengeance Factor".

Timo Saloniemi

5. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless they're like the Gao'uld and purposefully exterminate the host if forcefully removed. If the host retains any memory of it's experience or knowledge of the parasite's mind, they might do so for strategic reasons.

6. Timo

Assuming that they are that malevolent, that is.

We don't have direct evidence of such malevolence yet. For all we know, the Horatio was destroyed by the crew in gross overreaction to the parasite actions. The mother creature's "we seek only peaceful coexistence" might just as well be taken at face value, even if the face is on loan...

I mean, Klingons posture and growl a lot, too. Doesn't mean they wouldn't make for nice allies.

Timo Saloniemi

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

If you accept the novel origins for the bugs, then they're definitely malevolent.

8. Timo

And if I don't? ;)

I mean, I have to admit I hate the convoluted connection made with certain other parasites there.

Timo Saloniemi

9. Unicron

If you're referring to the Trill, I don't have a problem with it personally. Why should referencing an existing species be a bad thing?

10. Timo

The old thing: far too small a universe. Is Picard Riker's father? Is Kira his long-lost daughter? Are Cardassians descended from Terran dinosaurs? Was the Romulan Commander in "Balance of Terror" Sarek in disguise, on a secret mission of infiltration and sabotage?

(Is Tryla Scott the child of Montgomery Scott and Nyota Uhura?)

Timo Saloniemi

11. Unicron

I don't see it that way at all. Sometimes I'd rather see a species fleshed out than some entirely new race for a novel, especially given that Trek has been pretty poor about using its races to begin with. Some are barely used even though they're supposed to be major players, and others have been written into a corner.

12. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Is anyone going to use Tryla Scott in future fan fiction, in sequels to "Conspiracy", set after the Dominion War?

13. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've toyed with the idea of employing her—hence the query to my fellow cognoscenti on the feasibility of her survival.