Should it have been a straight reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ssosmcin, Sep 7, 2009.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm... Nemesis was a failure indeed. Insurrection was not. Adjusted for inflation, Insurrection did just as well as Undiscovered Country. And was that one a failure?

Really, please stop blaming Insurrection, as it really wasn't the problem.

2. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Nah. I like what they did. It took more effort and created a more unique attempt at re-establishing the franchise than most.

3. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

5 series + 10 movies > 1 season + a few episodes of an aborted series

And BSG really lost a lot o f its luster after the first season.

4. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

And I still say, it did. Once again, there's nothing that canonically establishes FutureSpock really is from the "Prime Universe" of the previous TV series/movies. For all we know he comes from a universe where there was only ever one Enterprise and nothing else.

5. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Critically speaking, it was received as a failure. It couldn't maintain the momentum of the popular First Contact. The cast and director (Mister Frakes) didn't like the script. It started a downward trend of quality. If Insurrection was as successful as First Contact but Nemesis remained a failure, would there be a need for Abrams to go back to TOS? Perhaps not.

(also, important to note: Rottentomatoes gives INS 54%, or a Rotten rating. They give TUC 81%, or a Fresh rating. TUC comes out the winner here. There's more to a movie than simple dollar signs)

Besides, these days, studios aim for sequels to capitalize and improve upon the original's numbers: Spider-Man 2 & 3 did better than Spider-Man, Dark Knight did better than Batman Begins, etc. etc. To fail to do that plays a large part in classifying a film as a relative failure, but it's not the only part.

And lastly, I said "...as a whole." Even if you think one movie is great (and you're entitled to think that) but the other crap, that crap brings the whole average down. Basic math.

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed the new film a lot, but the 'alternate timeline' stuff was a bone thrown to us fans, and it probably hurt the film for casual viewers, I think. I say if they wanted a reboot, they should have come straight out and said it, rather than adding in all the time travel stuff.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

See, and these are all the things that KEPT me from seeing the film. If they started over and dragged out all this 'built on earth' stuff, it would have been, 'okay, maybe I'll go watch this stupid movie pretending to be ST' but by trying to wrap it into a variant on what went before, they were contaminating/pissing on what went before, and that DID keep me out of the theater.

Well to be scrupulously honest, I'd never pay to see a movie with this many lens flares (I've seen the first 7min on youtube and it is atrocious), it would be like paying to see a kid's sci fi movie in super 8 from 1971, where every shot uses the zoom lens. But except for that huge cosmetic defect that I find utterly disgraceful for ANY feature film, these various improvements alterations that I see as fuckups might not have kept me out of the theater if it had been a straight reboot.

8. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Ya know, I saw the movie twice before I noticed lens flares. I read about the lens flares here before the third time.

I think the lens flare thing is a bit exaggerated by people.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm with you!

10. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

As am I!

And to be honest, for those who really have a problem with it, JJ seems to agree with you, and is likely to not include so many in the next one (something about the lens flares were actually physically and deliberately present when they shot the scenes and couldn't be removed in editing).

11. Tyralak

Tyralak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed. I barely noticed it.

12. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    In 20 years or so, when they do yet another version of ST, I bet they do a complete reboot without a nod to either the first or second version. It was a unique way of retooling the franchise, though. After all, you never saw that in any Superman or Batman reboot. I do kind of fall in the "straight reboot" camp now, though, even though months ago I was fine with the way they did it. And the next time they do a reboot, I hope Kirk doesn't go from cadet to captain in hours! -- RR

13. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Hm... A quick visit to boxofficemojo.com (or any other movie site) reveals that TUC did 74.9M in 1991 dollars and Insurrection did 70.1M in 1998 dollars.

Adjusted for inflation, TUC clobbered Insurrection at the box office.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this movie...but I would have preferred they just told the origin of the Enterprise crew in our universe using new actors. I would have had old Spock on Romulus during a peace treaty (or possibly after Nemesis trying to forge a peace with the new Romulan government) tell the story of Captain Kirk's first mission as Captain of the Enterprise (we would need to retcon some of the events of Where No Man Has Gone Before to include Checkov, and McCoy).

15. JarodRussell

Worldwide, TUC made 96 million, INS made 112 million.

16. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Again, not adjusted.

1991 ticket = $6.75
    1998 ticket = $8.50

Ah, the good old days.

17. JarodRussell

While we're at it... how successful is the new movie compared to TUC, taken the budget/gross relation into account?

TUC: made 2.7 times its budget domestically, 3.5 worldwide.
    Generations: made 1.9 times its budget, 3.1 worldwide
    First Contact: made 2 times its budget, 3.2 worldwide, and FC even has a 93% Fresh rating on RT.
    INS: made 1.2 times its budget, 2 worldwide.
    nuTrek: made 1.8 times its budget, 2.7 worldwide.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  18. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Budgets are misleading. IIRC, Star Trek The Motion Picture barely broke even despite HUGE box office returns.

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even with the evidence that the other posters have put up, INS seems to have made the least amount proportionately compared to the rest on your list. So yeah, it's still a dud. It's nice that nuTrek is in the same ballpark as Generations and First Contact; those numbers plus DS9's creativity and Voyager's ratings was probably the height of contemporary Trek's popularity.

Additionally, newtype_alpha's correct on misleading budgets. TMP's paradoxical success and failure is what facilitated the huge revamp for TWOK.

I'm reminded of the Ocean's 11 franchise. Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney have both said they want to make a fourth film. However, each film made less than the last, and while they were all very profitable, the last one was considered not profitable enough that the studio is balking at the idea of a fourth film. It's just another lesson that the big picture has to be taken into account.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I kept reading about the dreaded lens flares on this board. Once the Kelvin came onscreen I forgot to look for those dreaded lens flares. This movie captured me from the first scene until the last... there were lens flares?:techman: