TF: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Dec 22, 2013.

?

Rate Peaceable Kingdoms.

1. Outstanding

18 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Above Average

41 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Average

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  4. Below Average

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Dayton Ward gets to close out both the year and the The Fall saga with the fifth and last entry, Peacable Kingdoms. Street date: December 30th!

Blurb:

(Sorry for the quickie -- pre-holidays weekend's a bit crazy.)

2. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My copy has arrived in Sydney. Wonder what I will be doing over Christmas!!

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I hope spending time with friends and family and only reading after that.

4. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished the book about 30 mins ago. It is good book, but the weakest of the The Fall series.

I would rate The Crimson Shadow, A Ceremony of Losses and The Poisoned Chalice as some of best trek books and along side my favourites - The Destiny Trilogy, A Singular Destiny and DRGIII's Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn.

Revelation & Dust took a while to get going, but once 'it all kicked off' it was great. I felt that Peaceable Kingdoms never found the 'high gear' the other 4 books possessed.

However, Peaceable Kingdoms carried the story and the series to a satisfying conclusion.

5. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished as well! I'll attempt to keep any major spoilers out until everyone else has read.

This book reads a lot like an episode of star trek, which made for an overall enjoyable read. I liked several of the new characters, and the flashbacks were some of my favorite parts. The overall story shifts between two main 'plots', although one at times feels a bit superfluous.

What I think people will most like about the book is where it leaves off the series. If you've had any complaints about the current story-lines, there's a good chance you'll be pleased with how the story comes to a conclusion.

Its hard to critique the book without talking about the fall series entirely. I think while overall the story was quite good, there may have been a bit of an over-complication of events. By the end of Peaceable Kingdoms there are two fairly huge conspiracies. I feel as though expanding upon one of them would have been preferable to using both. I'll probably elaborate on that further when more have read.

Then, I have something of the same complaint as I had about Typhon Pact, except moreso. Each of these books is supposed to be read as a stand alone. Except there's clearly a progression of events and information for the reader to receive. There's a big difference between 'each story is stand alone', and 'each story has a self contained story within it'. I would rather see crossover books numbered so that less time could be spent explaining what is going on. I completely get that readers need to be 'reminded' of things that happened in prior books... but there is a ton of explaining done in Peaceable Kingdoms. At times that got very tedious.

Overall though, this was the first series of trek lit I got to read as it was released, and I really enjoyed the experience. I can't wait until the next grouping of novels comes out.

If I had to rank the books in order it would go something like; Crimson Shadow --> Poisoned Chalice --> Peaceable Kingdoms -->A Ceremony of Losses --> Revelation and Dust.

6. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

^^ I totally agree about numbering books!! It may help people collect sets, but equally it disuade readers from getting books in a long-numbered series?

But really, I do wish there was a lot less explaining of past events in Trek books in general! Perhaps it is a silly annoyance, especially as new readers do need some explanation - but there are some other long-form tie-in fiction series where explanation is kept to a minimum, if at all used. For example another series that James Swallow contributes to - Black Library's flagpole Horus Heresy line (as well as several of their other lines) all seem to have minimal continuity explanation.

Of course this isn't always the case. I really loved The Crimson Shadow. Didn't it have very few continuity explanations (or indeed any explanations) of past book events? I think one just was assumed to probably have read Revelation and Dust, A Stitch in Time and The Never-Ending Sacrifice, as well as perhaps The Lotus Flower. It certainly made a smooth text even smoother. Other authors do the same too, but sometimes there is a lot of historical dumping (for example so heavily, if perhaps understandably, in Revelation and Dust).

Sorry for my complaint - it is perhaps unfair, but I sometimes wished the authors were released from obligations to explain :) ANYWAY, I can't wait to read Peaceable Kingdoms!!!

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've noticed lately that very few series of novels actually have numbers in or on the books themselves.

8. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Not even 4 8 15 16 23 or 42? :D

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw several copies at a B&N I was at today. Too bad I preordered a download.

10. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Dsven43

Dsven43 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What?! No spoilers yet from those who got the book early? Come on...don't leave those(like me) who like reading spoilers waiting;-)

12. Mimi

It ends with a massive dance party. Its true, I read it.

As someone who always spoils books though before I read them, I will refrain from posting spoilers until someone else does. It is for your own good!

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Picked up my copy after work today. Still making my way through A Ceremony of Losses, though, so it'll be a little while longer before I can dig into this one. Looking forward to it, though!

14. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Picked up my copy today. Blew through it in about five hours (which is unusually fast, even for me; I find my TrekLit hard to put down. :mallory: ).

Since it looks like not many people have read it yet, I'll refrain from posting my full thoughts (laden with spoilers!) just yet.

I agree with much of what Mimi said, though I think I enjoyed it less than she did, and I would not have the same rankings of The Fall books as she did.

My rankings would be, from best to worst:
    1. The Crimson Shadow (this may be the best Trek novel ever)
    2. A Ceremony of Losses (also great, though I think I would not want to reread it much)
    3. Revelation and Dust (in hindsight, there is a lot that is beautiful in this novel)
    4. The Poisoned Chalice (the stories and and writing for this novel are great, but I think it really suffered from "Middle Book In A Series" Syndrome; perhaps it should switch places with Revelation and Dust)
    5. Peaceable Kingdoms (not that it's bad, per se, but it went against some pretty tough competition)
    I'll simply say that I think we will have a lot to discuss as more people finish the series. :)

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Waiting for Tuesday to start reading......

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why did you guys put your rankings in spoiler codes? I don't see why what the order you rank the books really spoiling anything for anybody.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the end of this was supposed to bring about big almost Destiny level changes to the Trekverse, would those of you who read it say that it did?

17. Mimi

My thought process was that its not technically related to the discussion, so more of an aside rather than a spoiler.

As far as changes to the galaxy...I would say no. No where near as much as Destiny. I can see how it might change the novel-verse for a little bit, as the ending does set the stage for some different stories to be told. I wouldn't go into it expecting a huge toss up though.

18. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it and found it a suitable wrap-up to the series. I did notice the reference to Arcturus as a smuggling haven and it took a bit of time to register where I'd heard that before. Way back when in "Entropy Effect". Nice callback, Dayton.

As an aside, I wonder about the Andorians who were trying to solve the reproduction crisis by transporter-duplicating (ala Tom Riker) Andorians. Is that going to come up again now that the background crisis is resolved?

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Ward's also referenced it in that context already, during Vanguard, if I recall.

20. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, that was my thought process as well, though I also thought that it was better to give people the option to not see where it ranked, in case they wanted to read the book unbiased. (On the other hand, why such people would be reading this thread is beyond me.)

Hmm, I would agree that it's not quite as galaxy-changing as Destiny. But I think The Fall will have basically as profound an effect on the novel series as Destiny did. Bigger real-world changes than in-universe changes. (Though there are some big in-universe changes, too.) I would say that the amount of toss-up suggested by the ending of The Poisoned Chalice is a reasonable expectation.