Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I just received the Excelsior, Defiant, future Enterprise-D, and DS9 in one delivery. The DS9 model isn't all that impressive -- the fusion reactor was glued on at an offset angle of about 20° and the three deflector arrays on Ops weren't aligned correctly, so I had to fix both of those faults myself. The tower antennae were also missing from Ops but given the scale (1:10000) I'll overlook that. The accompanying magazine makes up for the model's deficiencies and includes a lot of info I hadn't seen before (although keen fans might not see anything new). The future Enterprise-D looks pretty much like a kit bash, no surprises there. There was no magazine with it. The Excelsior and Defiant models and magazines are just fine though. I didn't know the nose of the Defiant was a detachable "warhead" module nor that the ship itself had a shuttle bay (I wasn't paying attention I guess).

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting. The Defiant did have a small shuttle bay bottom center, but I thought the front end was where the mess hall was. There was an episode when an unexploded Dominion torpedo penetrated the hull there, but I never thought that whole structure in the front was a "warhead" of any kind. :confused:

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Cool.

Mine too.

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I thought they pushed the model of the DS9 spacestation. They sent a note that we wouldn't be billed until December.

How did you get yours?

5. Asbo Zaprudder

I'm in the UK.

ETA:

Yeah, me too. Apparently, one of the novelisations has the warhead nose as a plot point. However, as it contains the main deflector array, it effectively screws the ship from travelling at warp. Bit of a design flaw I'd say.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since it was in the novels, and especially since it contradicts what was shown on-screen, I think it's safe to say that the nose was not a warhead.

7. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

This was an original design idea, also included in the DS9 tech manual. The warhead wasn't meant to be a defensive weapon, rather a last resort weapon. Surely included when battling the Borg. I suspect that the warhead was dropped by the time the Defiant was stationed at DS9. You wouldn't wanna have something go wrong with it while docked at a station holding 7000 innocents.

8. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:bolian:
    Anyone else in the UK received theirs yet? If so, are you seeing the same issues?

9. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

No but when I got my D7 the stand had been molded wrong so it was not straight leaning to the left so the ship would not sit properly. So I had to heat the stand up with a candle lighter and wait until the plastic was flexible and move the stand back to been straight !!! Took some doing but it's sitting better now !!

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Forbidden Planet UK doesn't even have the Defiant up for sale until December 15th, going to be ordering it soon.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I saw my mates last night who has these on subscription and his DS9 looked great, I wouldn't say it's issues per say, just the poster being exceptionally picky.

I got my Excelsior earlier today and it looks great in with my other models.

12. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

This UK fan got a bumper box of goodies yesterday; the K'Tinga, the Excelsior, the Defiant, DS9, the four mags, the dedication plaque and a binder. Lovely stuff.

Only issue was that the parcel wasn't sealed. No tape on it at all, just a lot of plastic straps around it. Anyone could have reached in and taken something out, but luckily they didn't...

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Well, that the model looked like it was a Friday afternoon job probably coloured my impression. Thankfully, it wasn't that well glued together so that I could fix it without breaking it. If the model were made by child labourers in a sweatshop in China (I don't know that is the case -- let's assume it's not), I should probably thank my lucky stars that I have nothing more to gripe about than a bit of haphazard assembly in my non-essential trinket.

14. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I got my DS9 model today; I was very impressed by it.

15. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

In the novel Avatar, Nog remembers O'Brien saying ""Part of the auto-destruct system. The whole thing can be launched from here in a worst-case combat scenario, though I doubt it ever will be".

16. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

FIRST LOOK: Next Wave of Official Starships Collection
    [​IMG]

Star Trek The Official Starships have released the first official images of issue 13, the Jem’hadar battlecruiser, and issue 14, the Cardassian Galor class, both ships that played a significant role in the Dominion War.

Read the rest here

17. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After seeing the Galor class in the S5 episodes of TNG on BD, those ships were indeed quite orange, more than yellow as I think most of us thought they were.

18. Brefugee

Nope, I also thought they were orange/brown and that colour scheme is spot on.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Bought the Excelsior today, and basically going to pack it in and not bother buying another one of these until Eaglemoss up their quality control a lot more, the construction of the last couple of my ships is pretty poor, defective and misshapen.

20. Brefugee

Photos?

Apart from the port nacelle being slightly off which I can live with, what's wrong with yours?