Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Nope, it just sits at the base of my monitor.

2. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great news.

I don't know about the Wolf 359 ships. Kit-bashed background ships, with some exceptions, tend to be abominations, but the New Orleans class could be nice.

I would like to see some of the ships I mentioned above.

But, regardless, this is great news. Let's keep buying ships when we can, folks. The more you get means the more you can get. :)

4. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

Great news about the collection, Ben has also said that we'll likely find out the next group of ships before christmas.

5. Sans

Well, as long as the W359 Ships are cleaned up a bit, and not exactly done as the org was, that may make them look better.

6. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Lieutenant Red Shirt

I sure hope the Enterprise A makes the list - I have always loved the refit Constitution class, and always wanted a micro machine of one (alas, that never came to pass). The Eaglemoss refit Enterprise would have been a great ship to have, but then I read reviews that covered the lack of aztec details and other let-downs of the design (such as the lack of the grids on the engineering hull). When I saw on Trek Collective that the Enterprise A was possibly coming in the 70s, I had hope that - especially with the lessons learnt from the success of the Reliant's detailing - I'd eventually get exactly what I'd always wanted. I still have that hope.

7. t_smitts

Some of them aren't bad. Besides the New Orleans class, there's also the interesting looking Cheyenne class, which has four nacelles, like a Constellation.

I don't care for the look of the Freedom class. Nacelles are supposed to work in concert with each other, so I'm not sure how that works, but, more from a visual standpoint, one nacelle just doesn't look very impressive. (I don't mind the Kelvin so much, but that has a secondary hull to balance it out).

Looking at the designs on Ex Astris, I also think the saucer of the Springfield class is pushed back a bit too much, relative to the secondary hull, and as for the Challenger class, something about one Galaxy-type nacelle position above the nacellle and one below doesn't really look right either.

Bear in mind that none of these designs were meant to be subjected to close scrutiny. They're not hero ships or even prominent "guest" ships like the Excelsior, Grissom, or Equinox. They were just some ships slapped together with spare parts, and made to look sufficiently wrecked, to appear on screen for a few seconds.

I believe they ARE making a 1701-A.

I actually ended up with THREE in Micro Machine form. I got the first 16-ship set as a kid, but the saucer broke off pretty quickly. Years later, I bought a loose one by itself on eBay and later bought another copy of the first set.

Of the two intact ones I have, neither looks all that great. The nacelles aren't straight on either of them and the saucer on one is a bit crooked, pointing to the right. It might simply not have been a ship they were quite up to at that size and price point.

If you still want one, I'd say checking eBay regularly is your best bet.

I got a Johnny Lighting refit 1701 (basically the same ship) which looks a lot better.

In other news, I poked my head into a local comic store to see if they had any Eaglemoss ships (usually, the only thing he had was a single Klingon Raptor, which I already have). This time he had a couple of other ones: A Romulan Warbird, a Jem'Hadar attack ship (I don't like calling it a "bug" or a "fighter") and an Excelsior. I could only afford to get one, and since I figured Fed ships disappear the quickest, I snapped that one up. (It's actually the lowest numbered ship in the series that I currently have).

Speaking of Micro Machines, I'd only had the Excelsior from that line for so long (the saucer on my first one broke off as well, but, as I said, I later got another copy of the first set), so that was my frame of reference for the Excelsior, and it's a bit disorienting, that the Eaglemoss one is rather different. Besides having a white paint scheme, as opposed to the Micro Machine blue, it also appears proportionately shorter and longer.

Given that Eaglemoss probably went to further lengths to ensure accuracy, I suspect that one is closer to the real deal, but it still feels a bit "off", after so many years of the other one.

8. Sans

If they cleaned them up like they did the Centaur, I will be happy. I wasn't expecting it, but the Centaur has become one of my favorite ship classes because of the collection.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Mine, too. Always loved the Centaur design to begin with, but they really did an excellent job with that model in particular for this series.

10. NOVE9

Based on what ben has said on twitter and the announcement as well, They will be without the damage and there is a great deal of effort being put into finding as much detail as they can on the ships. They've even bought in the original designers/people who worked on the ships (I forget their names).

11. Sans

Part of me would like to have damaged ver. of the ships. Mostly the 1701 (Refit) from STIII. Maybe a diorama of the 1701-D saucer crashed landed, and a 3rd idea would be (and i know it would be difficult to do) the 1701-E and the Scimitar rammed.

12. 137th Gebirg

You could always buy the existing models and modify them. There was a time when I was planning on doing something similar by taking existing models that were already available and kit-bashing them into DS9 frankenfleet ships. I stopped that notion, though, when individual model prices were starting to go up. It is an expensive proposition where you're chopping up 2 or 3 models to make one new one, especially considering the number of variants that have been built over the years. If you have the spare coin lying about, however, it's certainly possible. :)

13. t_smitts

I like the Centaur too, but bear in mind that, for every one of those, you also get something hideous like the Yeager.

I assumed they would be pristine, which I suspect most fans prefer, myself included They didn't make the Equinox damaged, for instance, despite that being the only way we ever saw it.

All those "battle-damaged" Johnny Lightning ships left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather that slot go to something that hasn't been done, as opposed to a variation of something we already have.

14. Sans

Well, I see them as a type of special. Like the shuttles or the Mirror ships. Def not taking a slot in the reg issues.

15. NOVE9

If we were to get damaged ships I'd want to see the Enterprise from trek III, Voyager from year of hell and NX Enterprise from the Xindi arc.

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The US store has shipped my ISS Enterprise, the only thing I didn't receive from my Black Friday shopping spree.

Glad Ben has changed his mind about the Daedalus class ship. His argument that it didn't have much detail is week as the desktop model had more detail then the original Bird of prey, and most think that looks pretty darn good.

Not really that thrilled with the idea of more 'remastered' designs being used. But that's a personal thing as I general want work that was approved by the art department of that specific show, and the normal , though not always, design approval process they have to go through with the producers.

So this leaves us with about 40 more ships for them to chose from. I could really easily feel out 40 additional ships I would like. Easily.

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of the Micro Machines, outside of stations (thanks, Ben, ugh) which we have little chance to get. I really want the Romulan Scout, the T'Lani Cruiser (or the Darmok version) and the Karemma are the only three full size ships that i really really want.

I do think they need to produce one Kazon ship, even if they aren't my favorite race or ships. They were still prominent for two full seasons of a show.

We do absolutely need the Merchantman ship and Groumall. Wouldn't be surprised if we got the Jenolan, but I am really not that big of a fan of that kit bash.

Want the D5, want the Jem'Hadar Battleship.

Really don't like the reptilian ship, but it was fairly prominent for a season. would like Degra's used less, but a design I like better.

Need to produce the telluride ship, even if it's not the original race for the ship.

Who am I kidding, i really want pretty much every original model they produced, or if at least some redress of them...

18. 137th Gebirg

Anyone else getting an error 404 on the shopping pages of the US site?

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

In a larger size I hope--even bigger than Vengeance.

20. 137th Gebirg

Doubt it. It's likely to be close in size to the original refit, just more accurate to the filming model than that one was. IIRC only the Abramsverse ships were contracted to be oversized (and the Borg cube). If you're looking for bigger, you could always go with the Art Asylum, Diamond Select or Hot Wheels versions. They're sizable and reasonably priced.