Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvels-all-new-all-different-universe-what-we-know-so-far

So some interesting developments. Iron Man's armor sort of looks like a mix between the early 90's armor and the more current type, and the new Cap (Along with elderly Steve) and Thor are sticking around. We've got four Spider-men/women, two from other universes, so it might be an interesting dynamic if this is a new sort of combined universe, especially with Gwen "back".

Then again, it's hinting that maybe the classic Spider-Man is not Peter. Unless of course the 'new' Spider-Man is simply referring to Morales joining the main Marvel Universe.

Although Wolverine is not in the picture, it's interesting that some version of him might be back, although they're kind of vague.

As a fan of Hulk, I'm wondering what they mean by that. A new Hulk meaning another incarnation of Bruce (Who will play a role in the story evidentally)? Or a totally new character? Perhaps another transformed member of Bruce's supporting cast, yet again? Pretty much the only members of that who haven't been Hulked is Talbot, a character that's been dead in the comics for a long time but who showed up in the SHIELD TV show in the MCU continuity.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amadeus Cho?

If he got increased intelligence too, can you imagine Amadeus and the Leader trying to flex their foreheads longer than the other, like 7th grade boys having a stiffy competition in the changing sheds after swimming?

Did Doc Green remove the leader from play?

Did he make it out of the Thunderbolts alive?

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that design for the new Red Wolf...wondering what First Nationals seeing that for the first time make of it. As a settler-descended outsider, I'm leaning towards "cliche design".

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those comments about the Hulk are interesting. i'm wondering if maybe the Maestro will stick around after Secret Wars.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Newsarama has a similar article with a few different quotes, and one of them says that Spider-Gwen will stay in a separate universe, but will crossover.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Those legs things on Steve Rogers costume look odd - they don't fit the rest of the design.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Another Teaser

Looks like Zemo is back as Citizen V just in time for the movie.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least they actually do appear to be making some real changes. I wonder if this stuff will actually last, or if we'll end up back with the traditional versions after a few issues?

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sales will probably determine whether some or all of these changes will stay, but I do think that Marvel Comics is trying to be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The idea that the two have be identical in order to lure new readers to the comics has either played itself out or really didn't work that well to begin with, IMO.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's never worked - except for Batman (1986) which might be just before the direct market.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm glad female Thor is sticking around after Secret Wars.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

:confused:
    1986?

There was Tim Burton's first Batman movie in 1989. Not sure if it brought a ton of new readers to comics, but it definitely made a killing as far as various tie-in merchandise.

Now, there was the Speculator Boom that began around 1985 or so and then kicked into high gear during the early '90s, but that had less to do with any movies and more with an ill-conceived idea by investors that most comics could be worth a ton of money in the future.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Direct Market has been around since the late 70s, and it really started to take off about 1982-3.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Sticking movie stuff into the comics has sort of been a trend since X-men came out in 2000-or perhaps even further back with DC, as some aspects of the Reeve Superman films and the later Burton/Schumacher films tended to end up in the post-Crisis comics here and there. But around the time of the early 2000s, you had stuff like the X-men wearing black leather (Although this was later reversed), Spider-man having organic webbing, Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus redesigned to reflect their movie versions, Toad and Mystique mutating to look more like their movie versions (although the latter was also reversed), and various other changes.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here they actually seem to moving quite a bit away from the movies. We have female Thor, Sam Wilson as Captain America, Thing as a member of the GOtG, and X-23 as Wolverine (well, a Wolverine).

17. Guy Gardener

18. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ About as long as it took for this thread to be Godwinned. ;)

If Marvel is 75ish now, then there's a big anniversary coming in 25 years or so. I doubt that 2041 will be overshadowed by 2015, but who knows?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  19. Guy Gardener

I knew that was coming, and still I proceeded.

You're counting the Timely years starting from the Human Torch? Marvel, vain bitch that she is, counts her birthdays from Fantastic Four #1.

The covers for the 25th anniversary were legendary.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...er-what-i-am-marvels-25th-anniversary-covers/

Pay special attention to the Marvel Age cover at the bottom. ;)

Skellington likes this.
  20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral