So I have FINALLY started watching Enterprise... love it so far!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Trek Survivor, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Two Days And Two Nights" - ha ha, brilliant! Loved Trip and Malcolm in their "pulling" outfits (those two are rapidly becoming my favourite characters); the Phlox bit was a bit OTT but my wife thought it was funny.

2. Trek Survivor

"Shockwave Part I and II" - fantastic pair of episodes! I really don't understand why people don't like Enterprise...seems like it gets a raw deal with fan criticism. Not perfect, but good grief, this is the best season one from any of the shows I've seen.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought "Shockwave" was great. I was just disappointed to see that 31st century Earth was supposed to be okay, after Daniels' cryptic "It depends how you define 'Earth'" line in "Cold Front"

I remember lots of people complaining that Daniels' line that school kids of the 31st century would send messages to themselves back through time was ludicrous, but I think people of the 1900's would say exactly the same about people of the 2000's carrying devices that can access pretty much the sum total of human knowledge, yet mostly use them to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue about old TV shows.:)

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I bet the 31st century humans are sending messages to their younger selves which are pictures of cats or points they think they should have made about old holoprograms :lol:

5. Trek Survivor

"Carbon Creek" - another fun episode. I really liked the Vulcan who chose to stay behind in the past. Would love to know that he ended up doing OK, but I am guessing this one is not followed up on in later episodes.

Still, another fun show from Enterprise!

6. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've only posted a few times here so far and hardly ever visited before coming aboard, so at the risk of taking this thread off the rails, does it seem that the hardcore haters of the show usually would hang their hat on a single prevailing production element that they truly couldn't abide? Or would one often get a balanced wide ranging critique that mentioned many issues while also winding up giving Enterprise the proverbial hard kick in the pants?

As an example, I've never understood the rabid enmity expressed in making the case that the theme was anathema to the tradition of Trek by somehow diminishing the majesty of the presentation of the brand. For me it communicated a resonant message of humanity's strivings up to this point in history and at the same time rather deftly acknowledged how far the audience knew the voyage had to run. Stylistically, it makes sense that the genre used was so much more earthbound, contemporary or not, just as the characters are closer to us not only in time but in sensibilities as well.

The naivete of the crew and Archer specifically in making their missteps in dealing with a continual string of "first contacts" seemed to generally echo pretty well the the living out of any number of similar roles throughout history with people stepping out into a virtual unknown realm and having familiar procedures, assumptions, and biases harshly grounded in the light of what real world experience quickly teaches.

Certainly, there are sore thumbs that can be strongly argued merit scorn, from the beginning to the end. Some, rightfully engendering visceral anger as in the choice made on the package used to wrap the series' swansong. But given my own perceptions of the program as a whole, I just can't associate with a sort of lockstep consignment of it to a veritable dustbin of history.

7. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's always great to welcome a new "Enterprise" fan; welcome Trek Survivor. I really love the show and rank it right behind TOS as my favorite trek. I watched the first 6 or so episodes when they originally aired but my local station switched the airing time to 11:30 on Friday night. I remember coming home one night a few years later and turning on the TV to catch part of the third season episode "Twilight" and a few weeks later part of "Carpenter Street" and was impressed; the show was great. I watched when I could but it was when I bought the entire series on DVD and watched them all over the Christmas holidays that I became a huge fan of the show. Its a solid show and I never understood the hate for the show. What else is there to compare to it on TV during that time? I will quit rambling; welcome to the world of Enterprise and please keep posting your reviews. I find myself wanting to go watch the series once again (for about the 20th time, lol)

8. Trek Survivor

Thanks for the welcome feek61! I am really enjoying this show; just can't understand the hate. It's a lot better than Voyager (which I gave up on fairly early on) and though the best of TNG and DS9 probably still beat it (so far...) I have to say Enterprise is far more consistent in its quality. It might not reach the heights of DS9/TNG, but it sure don't hit the same lows either!

Anyway, a few episodes to catch up on:

"Minefield": A cool episode. The aliens didn't really need to be Romulans, but it was an interesting element anyway. Reed getting hit in the leg by the mine certainly added an extra layer to the standard "crewman in trouble and time is running out" plot. The scenes taking place on the hull looked great.

"Dead Stop": Roxann Dawson doing the computer voice! I wasn't so keen on this one. I liked the continuity from the previous show though.

"A Night in Sickbay": This one had some funny moments, but a bit of a disappointment overall. The Archer/T'Pol attraction thing isn't something I'm too keen on, and I hope it doesn't go all the way to romance. The aliens and the whole "apology" thing were silly.

"Marauders": Great episode. A bunch of Klingon bullies and the Enterprise crew as the heroes in a 'wild west'-type town? Irresistable!

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome Treksurvivor Minefield and Dead stop are really great season 2 episodes.A night sick has a few funny moments Hoshi catching Phlox's bat :rommie:.Minefield is also good.It reminds me of the A-team approach fighting the Klingons.

10. Trek Survivor

Yes, it felt like an "A-Team"-esque storyline. And as I love the A-Team, it went down well with me.

"The Seventh": This one also felt a little A-Team esque. I really do enjoy the adventure element of this series. The production values are also very high. I was less convinced about the whole T'Pol "repressed memories" thing, but the story was good enough.

"The Communicator": A bit disappointing... also reminded me of a couple of season one episodes in plot and tone (Archer and a.n.other crewmember captured, interrogated etc).

"Singularity": This was a weird one. A very Star Trek-ish episode with the crew being affected by an outside phenomenon. OK, but forgettable.

11. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad you're enjoying the show, I can't wait to hear what you think about seasons 3 and 4 as most people (myself included) consider them to be the best.

12. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I was never interested in Enterprise when it first came out. I didn't see how it could work within the timeline/canon, but I started watching it recently on Netflix.

I just started Season 4 last night. I have to say I'm very impressed and I rank it up there with DS9 as my new favorites of the series. I think Capt Archer's changes in season 3 were totally believable as a combat veteran and how he had to do things he didn't expect when he first left Earth as an explorer.

I'm sad that Season 4 is the last season, but I've enjoyed the ride so far.

13. Trek Survivor

“Vanishing Point”: Reminds me in execution of “The Next Phase” from TNG a little bit, although of course none of those similar events were ‘real’. Interesting and well filmed – and I like Hoshi, a good character.

“Precious Cargo”: Complete and utter daft fun. It’s another example of Enterprise kind of ignoring any pretensions that Trek is this serious, noble, thought-provoking venture and just presenting a comic book adventure for one of the characters. The actress playing the princess didn’t really gel with me but Trip is always good value.

“The Catwalk”: Didn’t really like this one, but can’t explain why... just felt a little drawn out over the 45 minutes.

“Dawn”: DS9 and Voyager had the same problems, but again, this felt too similar to a TNG episode (“The Enemy”, with Geordi and a Romulan stranded and working together, and even “Darmok”) to be really enjoyable in its own right.

“Stigma”: I really liked this one, mainly due to the relationship between T’Pol and Archer. Yes, the allegory was pretty blunt and obvious (Trek has never really done subtle in this regard) but it was a good one, and again offered a fascinating glimpse into the Vulcans. Knowing how mind melds are considered A-OK in the “future” (TOS onwards) it’s interesting to see the comparison that what was once “taboo” becomes commonplace.

“Cease Fire”: Another great action episode. Again, the arc of the Vulcans comes on a little further here, and I am starting to like Shran. It was difficult to get passed “oh, Jeffrey Combs AGAIN” but he’s done wonders with this role. As always, Archer proves that he’s ‘the man’ and a great captain.

“Future Tense”: An intriguing mystery, but I didn’t like the lack of resolution. I did like the Tholians popping up. What I find curious is that if somebody had mentioned a “temporal cold war” as a concept (a concept I love, incidentally) before Enterprise started, I – and probably many others – would’ve seen it as a way of including appearances/references to 24th century Trek. But the temporal cold war didn’t originate in the 24th century, but the 31st... it almost seems like a missed opportunity. But I suppose we would’ve all groaned at the “lack of ideas” if it had been a 24th century villain causing hassle in the past. Whatever the case, though I like the idea, I’ll be happy when the whole “temporal cold war” is won/resolved. I find myself not particularly engaged with the episodes themselves, though I like the idea.

Season 2 (thus far) has been a bit of a dip in quality for me compared to Season 1, though even when the plots are disappointing, the characterisation/acting are spot on.

14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Jeffrey Combs as Shran. He becomes more involved in the up-coming seasons.

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching Enterprise with my girlfriend right now, and we JUST started season 2. I'm a but unnerved, since I find season 2 the weakest, and I'm hoping she'll stick with me during it. Since I know she'll love seasons 3 and 4.

16. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

ENT is my favorite Trek. Glad you are enjoying it. If you like it so far you are really going to like season 4. Great stories that shine a light on some of Treks glossed over history. You're going to love "Thru a Mirror Darkly 1 & 2".

17. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

I am really enjoying your recaps and your enthusiasm, Trek Survivor. Always happy to have a new fan join the party. :)

A refreshing new viewpoint on this episode! I think this is what the makers of the show might have intended - a screwball comedy in homage to films like "It Happened One Night" and "Bringing Up Baby."

This has been my experience with the show - there is something about every episode that I like, even if the story elements don't quite come together. The little character moments were wonderful to watch.

I hope you continue to enjoy the show. Keep us posted :techman:

18. Trek Survivor

Thank you, my friend. The biggest delight for me is that my wife is equally enjoying it. She liked TNG and DS9 when we watched them together, but she couldn't last one season of Voyager. Really didn't like it (I don't either, but I tried not to influence her decision - I was up for watching the whole series, as I only watched seasons 1-2 and a bit of 3 back in the day!).

Anyway, two more episodes down at the weekend:

"Canamar": This was a great episode, one of my faves from season 2. Plenty of action, and an interesting story. I like that Archer really rolls up his sleeves when needed.

"The Crossing": I was ready to dislike this episode when I ready the EPG summary. Sigh. Alien possession (again, for Trek). But... dammit, Enterprise, you still managed to deliver an entertaining episode out of a very tired sci-fi premise! I liked the way the aliens kept "popping" in and out of different hosts, and T'Pol was well used. Hoshi was very well played in an eerie sense once she was possessed.

On a more general note, I can see where the criticism of Enterprise being about "the big three" (with the other characters given short shrift) comes from, but... I don't really feel it's necessarily a bad thing. I suppose after TNG and DS9, fans (and cast?) probably assumed the ensemble would be managed in a similar way, but I like there being clear "stars" and "co-stars" with this show. Seems to work, at least for me. I also happen to really like Archer, Trip and T'Pol which helps ;)

And let's face it, even in those other shows, there were always stars and "co-stars".

A-hem. A little off tangent. Next up - a Klingon episode, which the wife & I always enjoy! With Archer on trial, no less...sounds good!

19. Trek Survivor

Judgment: LOVED this episode. J.G. Hertzler as Kolos the defense lawyer really made it for me. Well written and well acted. Lots of echoes back to previous Treks (Most obviously Star Trek VI) but did not once feel like a "retread".

Horizon: So Travis finally gets an episode... and I find the subplot of trying to get T'Pol to movie night more interesting. Sorry Travis! Not a bad episode by any means, but I can kind of understand why Travis hasn't been in the spotlight too much. He's good support, but carrying a whole episode...

The Breach: Phlox is one of my favourite characters, and I liked the idea presented here - could be read almost as a German doctor/Jewish patient. The episode also managed to stay just the right side of sentimentality, and the subplot with Tucker, Reed and Travis was also well done with decent humour. Another great episode.

20. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Hey, little late here, but welcome to Enterprise!

Seasons 1&2 or Enterprise get a bad wrap.

I'm in agreement with you. Clearly Enterprise S1&2 are stronger than TNG, DS9 or Voyager's 1&2.

I envy you, getting to watch all these episodes for the first time.

Enjoy!!