Doctor Who party suggestions

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by auntiehill, Jul 29, 2013.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

A friend and I are having a joint birthday party this year and we've decided on a Doctor Who theme, as we're both big fans. It's not until September, but she is terrible at planning anything, so I have a feeling I will be doing most of the work.

So far, I've planned on getting Tardis-blue plates, cups and bowls (my local store has these) and maybe pasting little paper windows on them.

I'm going to get a local bakery to do a Tardis cake and I'll get some Jammie Dodgers from Amazon (no one has those here). Half-Price Books has lots of Doctor Who sticker books and such I can use for little decorations......but what else?

I thought bow-tie pasta might be fun and my friend has Dalek & Tardis salt and pepper shakers that I thought would be a cute centerpiece. Any other ideas? I toyed with the idea of actually serving fish fingers and custard, but, well, YUCK.

There will only be about 10 people there, tops. Don't want to go too overboard but I still want to do it up right.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Do you need episodes to watch? I can list some of the best from each era if you like.

3. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Fish fingers and custard! The secret to making the two components mash well is to make sure the fish fingers are not oily at all. So rather than fry the fingers in oil, I just use a spray bottle to spritz a thin film of oil and bake them in the oven. Hopefully, that will still make the crust crispy and the insides are still soft and flaky.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think the first Platform Plank for The Doctor Who Party should be to ensure a minimum of 5 missing stories per year are animated and released on Disk.

Oh, wait, that's not the kind of Party you had in mind, is it? (Damn stuck with just the Democrats and the Republicans only for the foreseeable future :scream: ). A Doctor Who Party, now tht's a party I could vote for with pride.

Blue Service sets,Jammie Dodgers, and TARDIS Cake, sounds like you covered pretty much the entire gambit, unless you want to get some Jelly Babies and deck yourself out in costume. There are glasses that have a disappearing/appearing TARDIS, that changes depending upon the temperature of the liquid inside them (IE: Like those glasses where the swimsuit comes off to reveal a naked person)

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Jelly babies, of course!

My wife and I eat beans on toast periodically solely because as Americans were were baffled by the frequent references to it in RTD-era Doctor Who, and it turned out that we like it.

7. auntiehill

Thanks for the suggestions, gang. I like the Fez idea; might have to give it a go.

Hmm. Hubby is quite the chef-wannabe. Maybe I can get him to try making some fish fingers.

8. Stevil2001

9. little_chris

little_chris Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. auntiehill

AWESOME! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Hubby loves to bake cookies and considers himself a "cookie baking expert." I can give him this task, and know it will be done right. Score! Thanks so much.

Oh, I LOVE those. Unfortunately, being in the States, the shipping would be far more than the items I want. Phooey. If they were in the US, I'd totally buy them.

11. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about fancy dress?

You could dress up the room as the TARDIS interior (which one is up to you though. The 2005 coral one is probably the most famous one)

If you want to go really fancy, how about butlers dressed as cybermen? Imagine some cybermen in tuxedos serving drinks. That'd be really cool! :)

12. auntiehill

Ha! I wish. Alas, it is not being held at my house, so I will have to show SOME restraint.

13. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We're starting to brainstorm ours... The wife's birthday is Nov. 9, mine is Nov. 13. She'll be 30, I'll be 40, and Doctor Who will be 50.

Menu thoughts already: the obligatory fish custard, jelly babies, and Jammie dodgers; plenty of tea, fixings for banana daiquiris (200 years early!), and a supply of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale! :guffaw:

--g

14. auntiehill

Just got back from the joint birthday party--it was a blast! Here's some photos to give you an idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Stevil2001

How were the "fish fingers"? If they're good I might give them a try myself.

16. auntiehill

^They were pretty good. The recipe called for plain graham crackers, but I would suggest using cinnamon ones, to give it more zing. Hubby, the cookie baker, made the fish fingers and made them just slightly smaller and thinner than he wanted for the final result, but they spread out quite a lot---so make them significantly smaller than you want for the end result. They came out tasting pretty good---little very sugary cookies, a little crumbly, but just dry enough so you can dip them in pudding or custard without getting too soggy.

We decided on stove-top lemon pudding, because once its chilled, it looks very custardy but has a bit more flavor.

The Jammie Dodgers, btw, were surprisingly popular. This is Texas, so no one had tried them before. I bought two packages of them on the "international" aisle of my local grocery store. We had about 15 guests---and all the cookies were gone before it was over. I didn't even get to try one. :lol:

17. auntiehill

Aww. No one commented on the TARDIS cake. I thought it was AWESOME. :(

another shot of it:
    [​IMG]

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Just send me the slice with the word Police on it, says Sting.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I wrote up a post twice, that raved about it, but, both times my Browser crashed (Different computer using IE :( ) . I was in a hurry, so couldn't make a 3rd attempt from scratch, and then forgot I hadn't accomplished it :alienblush:

20. auntiehill

^ :lol:

Well, thanks for the thought.