Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by BlueStuff, Apr 10, 2013.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just out of curiosity. Who was the Wesley Crusher of DS9? This show has many beloved characters but who did fans dislike?

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't hate anyone on DS9. I wasn't keen on Sisko and Jake at first, but I grew to like them.

I saved my hate for Janeway and Tuvok !

3. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure that it's really comparable to Wesley, but I think Bashir was the character that tended to register as least popular among the regular cast while the show was on the air.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

I didn't really "hate" any character, nor even dislike. I remember the mentions of fans' disfavor of Julian, but that was even echoed in the storyline.

I did come to not look forward to shows centered around Quark and the Ferengi stories, but even they had their moments.

Jake was never an irritant like Wesley was in those first-season episodes. Sisko took some getting used to, but he turned out just fine.

Early on, I had a hard time grabbing onto all of the Bajoran religion mumbo jumbo, but again, after awhile, it turned out just fine and added a lot to the overall story.

Harry

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I am almost done Season 2, but so far I do not hate any of the characters.

Sometimes it seems like Sisko can be a bit monotone-sounding at times, but he is certainly not a bad commander and he seems to be a good father and all that. He could use a little more...zing? But all in all, I do not dislike him or anyone.

This would be my pecking order from fave to least fave (only judging on Seasons 1 and 2 though!)
    -Odo
    -O'Brien
    -Kira
    -Quark
    -Garak (Dude should have gotten more screen time. He's awesome.)
    -Bashir
    -Sisko
    -Dax (I haven't gotten to any episodes with Ezri Dax, but so far I like Jadzia. I am sad to hear she will be killed... :weep:)
    -Jake (Er...I have nothing against him...he's just not a main focus of many episodes so far lol.)

I guess Nog...I don't like that much. And O'Brien's wife is a little one-dimensional although their baby is ADORABLE.

6. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I won't spoil it for you, but there's a BIG change for Nog in season 3 that'll probably surprise you, but I think worked really well.

7. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Some may have started out with a funky character concept, but I think everyone except O'Brien's personality changed before the end of the series.

I found both Rom and Leeta a bit annoying right up 'til the end, even though the Ferengi shows were always funny. Rom's personality after season 3 always made me think of Gilligan from Gilligan's Island. Sometimes funny, sometimes just odd.

Worf needed to lighten up. Some of the episodes leading up to the marriage were very annoying. Even General Martok pointed it out.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I would have guessed Rom, or maybe Bashir.

Plus at the very beginning a lot of people probably hated Kira.

9. Captain Kathryn

Ooo cool. I'm almost at Season 3 actually. :D

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Rom and Nog were my least favorites at the beginning, because it was like a double act of dumbasses. Either they mellowed or I did. Ferengi Three Stooges might have been interesting, though that usually happened any time more than 2 Ferengi were in a scene.

11. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Bashir annoyed me to no end, even after he and O'Brien became friends! (Although their friendship was one of my favourite relationships on the series).

This will be unpopular, but the character I resented the most was Ezri Dax. I felt they wasted too much time on a new character when they had really important plots to tie up by the end of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil Captain Kathryn!

12. Captain Kathryn

Yeah, but I have a soft spot for the Ferengi. They make for good humor and Quark definitely helped Odo all those times without meaning to. :lol:

But yeah the fact that Quark was the most intelligent out of the threesome of Ferengi was kind of troubling haha.

13. Captain Kathryn

Sorry! :D

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Quark = Moe, Nog = Larry, Rom = Curly

15. Captain Kathryn

:lol:

16. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rom. Definitely Rom. He had his good moments, sure, but more often than not, if he was the focus of a story, few had positive things to say about it afterwards.

17. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with the general sentiment that there weren't any Wesley like characters on DS9, though to be honest I never hated Wesley either. I can understand it, but I just don't agree with the general dislike of his character, though that's a topic for another time.
    I think on DS9, most of the characters, even the ones that were disliked or at least were not the stand out favorites, grew so much over time, that even if you started out not liking them, they at least developed some qualities that redeemed them.

It is interesting to note, that I've seen some ill words thrown toward lwaxana Troi and her appearances on DS9 over the years. Even though she only showed up two or three times, more than a few people never seemed to take to the idea of her interest in Odo.
    Personally, while not my favorite guest star, I by no means hated her or her ongoing story line with Odo.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say early Bashir annoyed me a lot. But by season 3 or 4, they'd made an active effort to make him less insufferable and though that major plot twist concerning him is really out there, it suited him in the end. Though Ezri did annoy me too... but for spoilers I won't get into that. Let's just say she distracted from the main plot more often than contributing to it.

As for Nog, Captain Kathryn. I'd actually say he probably had the best character arc out of -everyone- on DS9. He's a petty Ferengi brat at first but he changes... a lot. If you watched the season 7 finale of DS9 you seriously wouldn't recognize him, but the slow changes over the years really do become him.

19. Captain Kathryn

Eh...I don't think Bashir is that bad. He has a cute affection for Jadzia and I like his love/hate relationship with O'Brien and Garak. It's not as funny or interesting as the Odo/Quark relationship, but is still funny to watch. Either way, I don't have any dislike for Bashir. He isn't my favorite character, but he's not too bad in my opinion.

I love Garak. He needed more episodes. Well since I am only approaching Season 3, maybe more will come. :D I think he is an awesome character.

20. Captain Kathryn

Dang...all these premonitions about Nog coming in. I might have to look up spoilers to satisfy my curiousity now... :confused: Or should I just wait and be surprised? :D