Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dunno about wheat. We'll have to wait for the official update I guess.

I think one of the updates changed the physics of redstone. I'll need to go digging and see whats going on under the stations.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Cutter John

And the updates continue with 1.1.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/

No need to ever kill a sheep again.

Of course now to wait for the Bukkit update. Which I sppose is okay. I've been needign to go into my SP maps and update them with all the new features.

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I came across this today and thought some of you might be interested. There's a guy creating 1:1 scale models of ships from Star Trek with fully explorable interiors using the official deck plans. They're not perfect, although that's to be expected given Minecraft's blocky nature, and most of the rooms are empty, but all of the important areas are detailed. An incredible amount of work has gone into these and they really give a proper sense of just how massive these ships are, even a small ship like the Defiant feels like a giant 3D labyrinth.

Constitution class
    Defiant class
    Intrepid class
    All Atrocities' Ships

Sadly, there's no Galaxy class, but given the scale of that ship that would probably be asking for too much.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

6. Cutter John

Looking at those makes my head hurt. It took me a week just to do a simple airship.

7. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Just started playing again for the first time in several weeks. God, but I had forgotten how cathartic it could be just to survive the first night in a new world. Glad to be back :)

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, but they build all those crazy things in creative mode, with some help from mods. It's much more work to build stuff like that in survival mode with no blueprint mods!

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's an amazing piece of work, but you can't download it because it was built in the old creative mode, so you can't add stripper poles to the bridge. :(

I haven't played the game properly since 1.8 came out, but a few weeks ago I decided to give one of Vechs' Super Hostile maps a try and that was a fun challenge.

10. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been playing with Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders lately. It's renewed my interest in Minecraft mostly by how unbelievably pretty it is now.

That said, I've recently upgraded to an i5 2.5k and an nvidia 560 and I get about 40 fps. Talk about taxing your system!

11. Cutter John

I confess I haven't gone in for mods, just because they usually end up broken in the next update. There is one out there though that gives the water a more realistic wave/refective texture I've been wanting to try though.

Funny thing, I've been playing more single player recently than multiplayer. I really want to find some of those hard to find items I've been taking for granted on our multiplayer world.
    Of course the downside as always is you die in SP. Lost a ton of valuable loot the other day while exploring a cave when a #$&^! Skeli kicked me off a cliff into a pool of lava.

Oh, I did start work on a new exhibit in the zoo. Digging out an underground room for cave spiders under the wolves den.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

There's one mod I always use, called Optifine. I need it to be able to play it at a bearable speed, because my computer is ass. Other than that they don't really interest me.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Optifine is awesome. And yeah, I don't really use client mods, either. They don't work with SMP so it's kind of pointless, since I don't play single-player much (if at all.)

14. Owain Taggart

Yeah, the only client side mods I use are the minimap and Optifine. Those are the only ones that don't actively change anything in terms of content, but the minimap does give the ability to set waypoints which can be very useful.

15. Iasius

I've pretty much only played SP for months now, but the only mods I use are Optifine and Sonic Ether's Shaders mod. It's ridiculous how much hardware that last mod requires though. I mean, I've seen the creator of that mod complaining about how Minecraft with it runs worse than Crysis 2 on his PC.

However, it really is unbelievably pretty.

16. Owain Taggart

Yeah, a mod like that runs counter to the spirit of Minecraft, in my opinion. I can imagine the strain it would create. I have a hard enough time running regular Minecraft as is. My computer would likely just choke and die if I tried using that mod.

17. Iasius

The spirit of Minecraft?

18. Cutter John

In other news, this weeks napshot update features the addition of upside down stair blocks, and iron golems to defend villages against zombie attacks.

Looks like someone at Mojang is a Miyazaki fan. :)

19. Owain Taggart

Well, people have asked Notch in the past if he'd ever add shaders to it and he'd said that it would never happen as shaders were in his opinion, not in the spirit of the game's original intent, wether that will change in the future with Jeb now the main lead on it, I don't know. Maybe with the upcoming mod API. But in my opinion, they can be viewed the same as HD textures, in that they run counter to the game's vision if used excessively. Some run super high-res textures aiming to be realistic combined with advanced shaders adding bumpmapping of all things, and that I feel misses the point of the retroness of the game. GLSL shaders in particular. Not a knock on the shader at all, but rather a point of view on the whole idea of shaders in general in minecraft. I just find it ironic overall that people are using shaders on what's supposed to be a retro looking game. That said though, I find the dynamic shadows to be far more subtle than most shaders out there, so they're not so bad. They don't tend to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  20. Atrocities

Atrocities Ensign Newbie

If you like Star Trek minecraft builds then I would like to suggest that you check out my builds. LINK TO SITE

Each of my builds are to scale, fully explorable with complete interiors and include such ships as the Constitution, Intrepid (Voyager), Nova, Oberth, Miranda, Federation, San Palo (Defiant), along with a few kit bash ships such as the Yamato, Longbow, Augustus, and Picon.

Each build is downloadable in either a schematic file or world save. (Hurry, once you update to version 1.2 MC, you won't be able to use MC edit until, and if, it is ever updated again.

[​IMG]