STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

How do they rank now you think?
    TOS Khan vs TNG Shinzon vs NuTOS Nero vs NuTOS Khan

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

As I'm the poster Belz... is referring to, may I precede my response by clearly stating your asinine and disparaging comment is...

wrong, Wrong, WRONG.

I'm a 44 year old HARDCORE TOS fan of many decades. I have seen each and every episode countless times, and STID on six occasions currently. I have no problem with your (minority) opinion on Bad Robot Trek, but to post something so absurd is not only insulting, but borders on plain trolling IMHO.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Two things to say regarding that:
    A) You're wrong.
    B) Unless you have some pretty solid evidence demonstrating that anyone here is, in fact, lying about whatever, you'd do well not to accuse anyone of lying. (And in the event you do happen to have conclusive evidence, you really ought to find some other way of presenting it than an accusation of lying.)

4. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

STID at times feels more like TOS, than *any* ST that has been made post 1969... It's my honest opinion... Those final 20 seconds where they embark on the 5 year mission... No director has ever captured that 'TOS spirit' like JJ has... And that is coming from a loooong time fan *and* member of this board...

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I've never seen a Michael Bay film, but I came out of ST:TMP in 1979, and Bad Robot's ST 2009 and STiD, with the same feeling of having been totally immersed in Star Trek. Even ST II and ST IV didn't quite do it for me. Maybe "First Contact" almost managed it.

And when I caught up on TOS episodes throughout 1980 (most on the big screen at Marathon events in Sydney), I found plenty of episodes that gave me similar satisfaction.

Bad Robot's films captured everything I loved about TMP and the best of TOS.

Really? With Kirk suddenly hating Klingons with an intensity we never saw in STs III, IV nor V? With Chekov seemingly not knowing that a hand phaser sets off ship alarms? With Uhura not knowing any Klingon sentences? With McCoy not knowing anything about Klingon anatomy? With Kirk and McCoy being imprisoned in their Starfleet uniforms, complete with tracking device?

Nah, not perfect to me.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

TUC may not be perfect but it was perfectly wonderful.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I disagree. It has a ton of potential but there's quite a few things wrong with it.

First, it should've been Saavik. Second, the conspiracy is a bit too wide and complex. Why include the Romulan ambassador, for instance ? Why is the warden on Rura Penthe part of the conspiracy, since Chang thought Kirk would be executed ? Why is the Romulan ambassador at the secret meeting with the plan to rescue Kirk ? Etc.

Wow, so I and others in this thread are liars, now ? Your personal opinion of this movie is supreme ? No one can possibly hold a different one ?

Really, read slower. He said Nemesis was worse.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All this bullshit happened with the 2009 movie too.

"You're making it up! You're not real TOS fans!"

Everyone immediately coughs up their TOS credentials. Years, money spent, times watched, love felt..

Accuser ignores it all.

I bet you credits to navy beans this will all happen with Star Trek XIII too. There is NO film that could ever be made that would make some people happy.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep wondering what happened to "Jeffrey Abrams" who wrote "Regarding Henry" and "Forever Young". With the name change came also a change in filmmaking style.

10. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

After seeing the latest figures, I think STID will finish around $470-500m WW.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

To be fair, once you get down to that level...what is and what is not worse is irrelevant.

12. Belz...

If I remember correctly, Abrams is also on record saying it was his favourite show nonetheless.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Your opinion is incorrect in thinking Hugh Mann's observation is "100% wrong" based only on your opinion--which completely ignores the reality that there are other TOS fans (40+ years and running) who just might fit his assessment.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hugh Mann said "everyone" which was 100% wrong if even one person within his criteria felt differently.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

You need to read what he said more carefully. :cool:

16. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

Ladies and gentlemen, I've seen to Leonard Part 6, Showgirls, and Battlefield Earth, and I can say without hyperbole that this is a million times worse than all of them put together.

Sincerely,

Kent Brockman

17. Belz...

What's worse ? Nemesis ?

18. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you adjust all the older TNG & TOS movies for inflation, this is where STID stands domestically right now:

The Motion Picture...............260M
    Star Trek 2009....................257M (140M Budget)
    The Voyage Home................235M
    The Wrath Of Khan..............216M
    Into Darkness...................200M (190M Budget)
    The Search For Spock..........180M
    First Contact......................166M
    Generations........................142M
    The Undiscovered Country....141M
    Insurrection.......................118M
    The Final Frontier................104M
    Nemesis.............................59M

Factoring in world wide numbers, and the film's budget, it doesn't look like STID is going to be any more profitable than ST2009 (maybe slightly less).

I think that's a bit of a disappointment for Paramount.

Hopefully they'll cut the budget for the next film which will force the writers to focus more on story and less on FX/action. Sometimes limitations are the best thing for creativity.

19. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

It was more of an opportunity to pull out one of my favorite Simpson's quotes than a true commentary on the relative quality of any particular movie. I'm just making fun of the occasional extremism shown on this board.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Any series of only 79 shows that ran the gambit of quality from strong dramatic episodes like "Balance of Terror", "Journey to Babel", and "The Immunity Syndrome" to fun stories like "The Trouble with Tribbles", "A Piece of the Action", and "I Mudd", to pure schlock like "Spock's Brain", "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky", and "And the Children Shall Lead" is going to attract a variety of fans for a variety of reasons.

Does "The Squire of Gothos" feel more like "Star Trek" than "The Doomsday Machine"? How does one know?

What about "The Gamesters of Triskelion" compared to "Shore Leave"?

What about TMP compared to TVH?

Where the hell is the TOS archetype so many seem to use as the measure of something's "Trekness?" (Ususally to say why something isn't Trek.)