Lost 5x13: "Some Like It Hoth"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 15, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

17.7%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm pretty sure they specifically said "filling" but even if they didn't, do the Russians use iron, nickel, or cobalt for dental work? Maybe they do, I honestly don't know.

I think the more likely scenario is that it was just an "oops" on the part of the writers since somebody being killed by having a magnet suck a filling through his head seemed "cool."

2. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But he also told Hurley that once you are dead the brain shuts down. No "talking" only remembering what was there before they died.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

wikipedia mentions cobalt-chromium and nickel-chrome alloy fillings. I'm assuming they're not magnetic, but maybe an extremely powerful electromagnet could attract them?

4. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Someone hacked into the Star Wars Wiki last night:

LOL!

:lol:

5. gh4chiefs

Well apparently cobalt and nickel are magnetic, however in some alloys they may not be. I was unaware that any of those metals were used in dental fillings. The most common metal is silver.

Edit to ADD: I guess actually most common is amalgam which is a composite of mercury and silver, although copper and tin can be used.

Interesting. (who says watching TV can't be educational? :lol: )

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: Although, I don't think you have to hack into it. Still, very funny.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i thought i read in Lostpedia that someone from the WIdmore Corp.is on thee board of the Hanso Foundation....all of that has to come into play next season.

The Dharma drops...why was all of that continuing?

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll give it Above Average for the humor -Miles' double take at Dad's favorite musical form, Hurley "improving" ESB (work on the prequels instead, dude!) and "I'm in the Circle of Trust!" is my new excuse for everything - but it was kind of scattered and draggy. Bring on the whompin' season finale episodes!
    Just review this video and you'll see why Dr. Chang is off the hook for being a bad father.

Oh and the answer to "What lies in the shadow of the statue" is "somebody who is about to get thwacked by Smoky for lying to her, and on her own turf, yet".... :D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Mitty's Prediction: In "the Incident" the Losties will somehow get back to the future. Candle/Chang/Hallowax will go with em. He didn't die... he just didn't exist for 20 odd years. Then Miles can tell him who he is.

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it, that's a really good theory, The Variable is the setup to the finale right?

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my impression of what they were aiming for. Thanks for catching this slip up, if it is one. Actually, I'm sure TPTB will hear about this through the grape vine and probably devise an alternative reason at some point.

Mr Awe

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There's four episodes left: "The Variable", "Follow the Leader", and the two hour finale "The Incident".

13. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

I don't think they were going for that at all. I'm sure this isn't the only guy on the island who has a filling.

And, after discussing this with someone else yestereday, I was reminided of the scene when Miles opened the body bag and there's a hole in the guy's forehead. If it was magnetics, the filling would have been pulled straight out - through the top of his head, not out the front of his forehead.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It would have been pulled out in a straight line from the underground E-M source, so it all depends which way his head was tilted when the pulse went out. I would imagine he was leaning over since he was digging a hole in the ground.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think it was a bit of a goof. They wanted to make it look like it could be a bullet because it raised anticipation. Then they wanted to say that it was a filling because that would evoke the extreme magnetism of the hatch. They're building suspense for the hatch.

16. Jenee

If that's their intention, they didn't do a good job ...

17. gh4chiefs

I don't know, I'm miss a LOT with this show and I picked up on that right away. It seemed clear to me that's what they were doing based on Miles' comments. However we probably won't ever know for sure, that's probably the extent of that particular incident. Unless Chang or somebody like that gets a flashback episode.

18. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gave it an average.

Couldn't give it more after Hurley who is suppose to be a fan and has seen ESB 800 times was unable to get the end of the Luke vs Vader fight scene right by saying that Luke kept fighting Vader after he found out about his parentage and then lost his hand. Unforgivable...next he'll be telling people on the island that Greedo shot first! :p

19. Jenee

There are plenty of things I pick up on, that later turn out to be nothing.

Just because you picked up on it, doesn't mean that was their intention.

You could be right, but ..., I just think it's too far of a stretch. - like this guy is the only guy working over there who has had fillings? not likely.

20. gh4chiefs

Hey no problem. Believe what you want. I know what I saw. You don't think that's what it was. Not worth arguing over. Like I said, that scene will probably never be revisited so we'll probably never know.