Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think Jennifer Morrison who plays Emma Swan on Once Upon a Time would be perfect for Captain Marvel Carol Danvers.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Ew, no. She looks the part but she's a godawful actress, and I say that as someone who saw every episode of House she was in, as well as most of Once Upon a Time. Oh, and Star Trek. I've seen enough of her to have a good sense of her abilities, and there's just no way. Nothing about her is intimidating or impressive--she has no presence at all and no range.

Put a blonde wig on Lana Parrilla and then we'll be talking. ;)

I am also enjoying Marvel whupping the shit out of DC with all this.

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's 2014. The film won't even shoot for another three years. It would be very strange to have someone cast now, unless they were going to be appearing in other films first.

4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

GOTG is a rare exception though. Keep in mind that GOTG made more than both Thor TDW and Captain America TWS worldwide as well. Both of the aforementioned films being the second individual outings for each respective character AND being films released Post Avengers. Avengers which featured both Capt and Thor. GOTG also outdid X-Men DOFP and Amazing Spider-Man 2 worldwide as well. So it's not just MOS that Guardians outdid. It's beat out every recent competitor except Iron Man 3. GOTG was a real wild card that broke all expectations.

MOS was divisive among fans and critics but a hit with audiences. Does TDK trilogy not count as good DC movies?

Like you said WB is a major studio. They make more than superhero films. WB has the 6 LOTR/Hobbit movies, 8 Harry Potter films, Nolan's films (Interstellar, The Prestige, Inception), Gravity, Snyder's films (300, Watchmen, Suckerpunch), Affleck's films (Argo, The Town), Hangover trilogy to name a few. WB announcing their slate of hero movies last week was a big commitment by them because they have not been invested in those genre of films outside of Batman and Superman. While Marvel Studios on the other hand only makes superhero films. Them announcing another slate of hero films isn't as shocking as WB's, because we know Marvel is wholly invested in the production of superhero films. Hopefully WB threads the needle of success well with their other properties. Marvel, success is a brand. They don't have to sell it because it sells itself.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I looked at it as both sides had good and bad reasoning behind their choices.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do you suppose they chose the Inhumans to lead into Avengers: Infinity War part 2? Not really familiar with them. Do they play a fairly pivotal role in the comics?

7. M.A.C.O.

Traditionally Inhumans have had a closer relationship to the Fantastic Four. Inhumans are a race of humans who were genetically altered by the Kree. The Kree we briefly saw during GOTG. The villain Ronan was a Kree. Traditionally the Kree are in a prolonged conflict with the Skurll. However since Marvel does not own the rights to either the FF and their villains (Dr. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer and presumably the Skrull) we probably won't get a reference to the Skrull in the MCU. The Inhumans like mutants for the X-Men franchise all have special abilities that separate them from normal humans.

Notable ones would be
    Kamala Kahn: Shapeshifting
    Black Bolt: Super Strength and extremely powerful sonic voice
    Medusa: long hair that is as tough as steel that she can control.
    Lockjaw: Dog creature with teleportation powers.
    Crystal: Element Manipulation.

8. Obiwanshinobi

So are mutants and Inhumans synonymous with each other if they're in the same universe? Comic-wise anyways.

9. M.A.C.O.

^ No. Inhumans are humans who were genetically altered by the Kree for their war with the Skrull; some hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Mutants are normal humans who developed a mutant gene through natural evolution.

Kind of the same but different.

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If rumours are to be believed Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will be Inhumans in the MCU.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's pretty much locked in since both their storylines starting with Avengers 1 and GotG are featuring Infinity Gems.

If anybody got excited about the Avengers team up (and it blew the box office wide open) i bet this double team up will annihilate the box office :lol:

I can't wait to see Quill wisecracking with Stark or the Hulk sizing up Groot :techman:

12. Obiwanshinobi

I was actually about to inquire about this since they technically can't mention mutants, Magneto, x-men, etc. How will they explain their powers other than some throwaway line such as: "we were just born this way."

13. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Feige said today he can't comment on negotiations.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/34474/brief-new-marvel-studios-phase-3-details

14. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^What this gentleman said.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Would you guys say somebody like Charlize Theron would be too high of profile or possibly even too old to play Carol Danvers? Or just straight up wrong for the part? Hmm she's 39 now so probably too old.

Maybe somebody like Margo Robbie, if she doesn't do Suicide Squad
    Or Emily Blunt. Or somebody like Yvonne Strahovsky

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Or possibly solo movie leading into Infinity War Pt. 2 ?

True. DC are not only ridiculously far behind, they are looking pretty incapable of joined up thinking. They can't even seem to forge one coherent universe - the current successful TV shows aren't going to be part of the same continuity.

17. M.A.C.O.

I actually think that's a strength for the TV shows. Flash, Gotham and Arrow can tell their own stories and not have to worry about overlapping with what the films are doing. They can bring in all the Flash rogues and Batman villains without having their hands tied by the cinematic universe. Agents of Shield for instance is kind of reactive to what the films are doing. Like they fought the Absorbing Man recently but that is never going to be referenced in the films (given that he is a Thor villain). They also fought a villain using Extremis, but Tony already sorted that out in IM 3. don't really know what AoS is trying to do except ride the Avengers/MCU coat tails with a TV show that is derivative. Only Coulson and Agent Hill standout among the cast to a general audience. That's even if the GA knows who they are.

Also Geoff Johns said the films and the tv verse form a multiverse for the DC properties. This leaves the door open for a crossover. Which is cool since we don't know which Flash Ezra Miller is playing. The CW is telling Barry's story. The films could be doing Bart or Wally. Keep in mind BvS is DC's 2nd film in their cinematic universe. Avengers AoU is Marvel's 11th. No duh Marvel is ahead.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

If DC had any plan they'd include the TV shows in the movies and make them part of the whole movie universe but then again they cast relatively unknown TV actors (because they are far cheaper than A or even B list movie actors).

So it's doubtful that they could stand next to major movie stars in the key roles which means opportunity missed.

It could have been DC's way to start their franchise.. kind of the opposite move of Marvel to get strong on TV before hitting the big screen because everything DC does now will always be compared to Marvel and many would simply state that DC copied Marvel even if it wouldn't be true.

Then again i'm rooting for DC even though i'm mainly a Marvel man.. a good superhero movie is a good superhero movie and it doesn't matter which universe they play in.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first person that came to mind to play Captain Marvel for me was Kristen Bell. They'll make the right casting choice whoever it is though. I haven't been disappointed with anyone yet.

I'm not real familiar with Black Panther, Doctor Strange or The Inhumans. Guess I need to start reading up.

As far as Captain America: Civil War and Thor: Ragnarok... HOLY CRAP. I really don't see Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans renewing their contracts, but these are both going to be awesome solo films.

As far as Infinity War goes... there are going to be the highest grossing movies of all time without a doubt. Avengers meets Guardians meets whoever else they want to throw in there. I am not prepared emotionally.

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Those movies will become LotR like movie epics, I am sure!