Awesome Quotes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

You ever make an awesome quote just out of nowhere, a quick genius moment?
    Well feel free to share your awesome quote or a quote from someone you love.
    Also feel free to add a small explanation as to what lead up to that small genius moment or coming upon someone else's quote.

Here is mine:
    "As an atheist I claim no such blind allegiance to a divine being who not show themselves and make me bend a knee."

I was posting on Huffington post and this just suddenly came out.

2. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic. But destroy our farms and grass will grow in the streets of every city in the nation"

William Jennings Bryan

I first heard this at the funeral of a gentle, beautiful man who hanged himself from the haymow the day before his equipment was to be auctioned off.

RIP, Ray.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not sure if I heard this somewhere, paraphrased something I heard, or came up with it spontaneously:

"Who should we aspire to more, the man who succeeds because of his talents, or the man who succeeds despite not having talents?"

A fun one some friends and I came up with one night back when I was young, only to find out later it was pretty common twist on Clarke's quote:

"Any sufficiently explained magic is indistinguishable from science"

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I once sarcastically coined the phrase "We're a government agency. Please leave your common sense at the front desk"
    It became a rather big hit among my colleagues and is still being quoted, after 20 years. It even spread to other agencies and ministeries LOL.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

My mother is fond of quotations and so I tend to remember them if I think she'll like them. Some I've sent to her recently are:

"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charlie Chaplin

"We are the custodians of life's meaning" - Carl Sagan

From the master of pithy and quotable wit: "Only dull people are brilliant over breakfast." - Oscar Wilde

And, of course, Sir Francis Bacon, who said something I chose to carry with me always:

[​IMG]

6. Kenbushway

I really like that first quote. "Who should we aspire to more, the man who succeeds because of his talents, or the man who succeeds despite not having talents?"

7. Kenbushway

I have another Sir Francis Bacon quote:
    "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."

8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I want a tattoo of a great quote! I'm particularly fond of "I've lost my heart, I've buried it too deep under the Iron Sea", courtesy of Mr Timothy James Rice-Oxley.

I could just cover my whole body with the stuff he writes. :adore:

The Iron Sea bit just fits so perfectly.

I'm good at quoting other people, not so much at coming up with original stuff myself...which is why there are song-writers out there to do it for me. :p

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

GREAT choice!!! Tim's writing and Keane's music as a whole is full of inspiration... Really haven't stopped playing Strangeland since I got it... Almost every song is fantastic!!

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

Thank you, and you are so right about Strangeland! I went to see them live a week and a half ago, and I've been listening to Strangeland (especially Disconnected and Sovereign Light Café) nonstop, as well. I've been wanting to get a Tim-quote tattoo for ages... So, to put it in the quiet tones of the perfect Mr Thomas Oliver Chaplin (sorry but I love this gif):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Awesome!! So jealous you got to see them.. Closest they came to New Mexico was Denver, but it was our busy time of the year at the office and there was no way I could get there... I wish Albuquerque was more of a "destination." "Disconnected" "Sovereign Light Cafe" are my favs as well..

12. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

"Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awakened, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things. "
    - Zuangzi (Translation by Lin Yutang)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -Aristotle

"I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place. Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they have always a nostalgia for a home they know not."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

"Two babies were born on the same day at the same hospital. They lay there and
    looked at each other. Their families came and took them away. Eighty years
    later, by a bizarre coincidence, they lay in the same hospital, on their
    deathbeds, next to each other. One of them looked at the other and said, 'So.
    What did you think?' "
    - Steven Wright

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it."
    - Dr. Evil, Austin Powers International man of Mystery

"I drank what?"
    - Socrates (Unverified), Real Genius

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I bought a new camera. It's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright :D

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

My sig says it all.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does mine.

"I wish the first word I ever said as a baby had been 'Quote' so right before I die I could say 'Unquote'." - Steven Wright

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:lol: I love it.

One of my favorite quotes of all time comes from the show Angel:

"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Actually, that show has a lot of my favorite quotes.

"The world isn't as it should be. It's harsh and it's cruel. But that's why there are people like us -- champions. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be,"

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Agreed. I love that quote.

And obviously I think my signature quote has some merit.

Others that come to mind:

"True nobility lies not in being superior to other men, but rather, in being superior to one's former self."
    - Hindu Proverb

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
    - Jesus

"Fiat justitia ruat caelum." (Let Justice be Done Though the Heavens Fall),
    - Various attributions

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I find it uniquely appropriate here on this very board at times! :lol:

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

A quote that I could never actually share in everyday conversation because people would look at me really oddly, but does sum up my attitude to life nicely, comes from Edna Mode in the Incredibles

"I never look back, darling, it distracts from the now"

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked this one so much I made it my sig.

The only use of an obstacle is to be overcome. -Woodrow Wilson.