The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, worst timing ever.

Still, it was another great episode, if not the best. The aftermath of Sophia's death was very depressing. And Shane keeps going farther off the rails. I love Dale, though. He's probably my favorite character.

But if I were going to be handling dead zombies, I think I would wear gloves. :ack:

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd have just doused them with gasoline and burned them right there. I'm not touching those nasty things! :rommie:

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

A good episode, but the actions of Lori don't make much dramatic sense to me. If I had just seen what happened to Sophia, and I had a child, I would never take off, on my own, without him. I wouldn't take my eyes for the kid for one second. To just jump up and get in a car, by yourself, was beyond stupid. It felt like it was a "because it's in the script" moment.

I LOVED the scene in the bar; so much was hinted at, without being thrown in your face. Rick did what needed to be done and was a true leader; I think this shows how Rick will be in the future and that he's coming to grips with the reality of the situation, much like Hershel is.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If by "later in the season" you mean next week, you're in luck.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nice.

Was that in the preview? I couldn't be bothered to watch the show that was on next to see it. ;)

6. sojourner

^I watched the encore showing, which had the previews right after.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Problem is: you hit a zombie, but so what? No guilt, don't even bother to swerve. Crash into it and don't bother looking back. Reaction to hitting a human shouldn't be the same as a zombie. If anything that's good, one less wandering around. Sure, wrecked the windshield, but not a huge problem that requires swerving and flipping the car...

8. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The latest episode was pretty good.

My main criticism though is that we should have had this about 3 episodes into Season 2. After the repetitive "angst" over looking for Sophia,the endless "We have to leave the farm. Wait no we don't. No hang on we do, and its definite this time. No my mistake, we can still stay" drama, the second half of season 2 is having to rebuild momentum pretty much from scratch.

And if they drag out the car crash like they did searching for Sophia, i doubt i'll bother watching season 3.

9. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Its about time they ramped up the action. I was sick of all the "Green Acres" drama.

10. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its a reflex reaction. You hit something that looks like a human you react like you think it's a human. It's not a video game where your mind has already been trained to think about hitting zombies.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Kinda hard to really say that, though. They've had at least a few months of Zombie Appocolypse, so gotta think some of the old reactions are being replaced at this point.

Not sure why she was looking at a map while driving, as opposed to checking it out before she left, so she could be prepared for potential zombie attacks, though. or why she was so worried about it on what appeared to be a straight road without a decison point coming up anytime soon. Plus, it's rural Georgia, I can't imagine there are THAT many turns you'd have to make to go from the farm to a small town center.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I finally had an opportunity to watch "Nebraska" today, and I'm pretty much in agreement with most of the opinions expressed so far. A good episode, with a great performance from Scott Wilson in particular.

As Caliburn24 suggested, I would expect Lori's idiotic drive was meant to set up her capture by Dave's group (who, by the way, I am disappointed appeared so briefly in this episode - I would've loved to see Michael Raymond-James around for at least one full episode).

13. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it has been a few months: maybe two from the moment of Rick's coma to now? The whole season has had one of the usual zombie genre themes worked into it, which is how we deal with things that look and were human. The differences between Shane's slaughter of Herschel's zombified loved ones and his inability to kill Sophia makes no sense without that tension. Neither does the power of the moment when Rick can do it (and how that bears on the casual way he can now kill living humans, as opposed to the care he took with Sophia).

So while I agree that this Lori is dumb as a bag of hammers, her instinctive reaction to a figure on the road is part of this tension (and further, isn't driving so rooted in a kind of mental programming which means the body reacts before the brain sometimes?).

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not sure of the exact timeline, maybe there was something in the logs from the CDC in season 1 that said how long he'd been working on the problem? Not 100% on how long between zombie ground zero and when Rick woke up, as well. It's implied that it went on for a while, that he's missed at least a couple weeks or something, but not sure exactly. Lori has those extra few weeks' experience, too.

Biggest thing that implies decent time passing is the total lack of other people. If this was more recent, there would still be a lot more survivors wandering around. Maybe they wouldn't last, but even at the two month mark, there should be more people around still. We haven't seen more than a couple dozen since the show started, and Atlanta was a pretty heavily-populated area. Yeah, might also mean the zombie-ism spreads faster, but more chances to run off, as well.

Agree with the overall point that in stress, she's going to fall back on the 35-40? years' experience with NOT hitting people rather than the more recent 'zombies are fair game' lessons. It just makes her character more unlikable, though. At some point in a zombie appocolypse, it's time to leave the old shit behind, sack up, or die.

15. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it's been 12 days since rick woke up from his coma.

16. sojourner

^unconfirmed.

17. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

of course. But over christmas I watched every episode but one and tracked the days.

day 1
    rick wakes up spends night with man and his son

day 2
    Rick goes to atlanta meets glen and group. Returns to camp

day3
    they go back to atlanta to look for merle. Come back to camp and it is being overrun with walkers

day4
    they decide to go to the cdc

day 5
    break camp and head out, get to cdc that night

day 6
    cdc blows up

season premiere rick says they lost another member of their group the day before last.

day 8
    hit traffic jam, herd passes through, lose sophia

day 9
    begin search again, carl gets shot, head to farm, Shane shoots otis

day 10
    zombie in the well, glen and farmers daughter head to town, daryl looks for sophia alone, lori is pregnant

rick says this is the 3rd day the girl is missing.

missing the next episdoe
    but I think it's one more day
    shane and andrea do the nasty and andrea discovers her inner klingon, dale tells hershel that they know about the barn, lori tells rick she's pregnant and about her and shane, maggie and glen go to town to get morning after pills and maggie tells glen they treat him like walker bait

day 12
    shand and hershel take walkers for a walk, daryl calls carol a stupid bitch and apolagizes, shane opens the barn

18. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course it’s stupid to try to check Otis’s body, and the chances of finding anything conclusive is low, but Lori is just that, stupid.

It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever that she absolutely had to get Hershel, none whatsoever. Guess you guys are right in that it doesn’t make any sense to go to a known <walker> area where a known “walker-catcher” got killed and Shane barely got away, but I don’t know. Nothing makes any sense when it comes to Lori.

Here’s another interesting idea. What if she gets turned, and her kid has to shoot her down? That would be a moment that really makes that kid cold

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The problem with your time line is it's unclear how long it takes Carl to recover from his gunshot wound.

One day he's laying in the bed recovering and the next he's learning to shoot with Shane, seemingly fully recovered from his injuries.

Presumably it would take more than a day or two after having major surgery to be back on his feet and 100%.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a lot of time passed, but more than a day. My guess was a week. Yes, an improbably amount of time to heal from a gunshot, but this is television we're talking about.