Transformers: Exodus (Novel) Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was coming out next month but it's out already as of this week and I'm waiting for my library to get their copies in as usual. The book depicts the history of the war between the Decepticons and Autobots and is supposed to be cannon tie in to the upcoming "Transformers:Prime" animated series and originally to "Transformers War for Cybertron" but I guess that was nixed by Hasbro. The reviews I've read from Transfans about it have been largely positive so far...would be interested in knowing if anyone has bought it or read it yet and what their thoughts on it are. Here are the first four chapters online...I read them the other day and can't wait to read the book.

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/discover/movie-news/upload/TF_EXODUS_excerpt.pdf

2. Char Aznable

Char Aznable Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm the tag line reads "The Official History of the War for Cybertron." Are you sure it's no longer related?

Anyway, it could be interesting, but I think I'm going to wait until I hear some word of mouth. I've already read "War Within" years ago as well as seen the G1 ep "War Dawn," so I'm not sure how many renditions of the Great War's origins and Optimus' ascention there really need to be.

3. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, the stories of Exodus and War for Cybertron are apparently completely incompatible. My guess is they take place in the same cluster of universal streams, but not in the same universe.

Oh, tfwiki mentions that one of the 13 are in this novel. I haven't read it, but can anyone tell me which one?

4. Admiral_Young

It's
    The Fallen who also gets a name Megatronus whom Megs takes his name from

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well this is the "official history" so I guess the rest are not very "official".

6. Admiral_Young

Yes apparently hasbro has endorsed this thus the chapters I linked to in my post being available on their website and it seems like this will be tied into the upcoming series "Transformers Prime".

7. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course they're all official. The Transformers multiverse consists of over 15 quadrillion concurrent realities.

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting story. Reminds me a lot of War Within.

9. Admiral_Young

That's what I thought when I read the preview chapters online...my guess is that Irvine read that before he started to write the book. He seems like he's a TF fan.

10. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    "War for Cybertron" and "Exodus" are the "official" histories of the current continuity going forward. Current toys including Power Core Combiners can be accepted as part of this continuity (though their exact place has not yet been developed). This is also the official history of "Transformers: Prime" as well. That idea has not been nixed, it is very much alive (this was discussed at Botcon 2010 with some of the Hasbro folks).

I'm about a quarter of the way in and so far I'm enjoying the book. It takes a much more detailed approach to the history between the Autobots and the Decepticons. It uses a lot of the elements from past continuities including the G1 cartoon, the G1 Marvel Comics, the Unicron Trilogy and even Beast Wars. I can see how the continuities are blending in this new one and I like it. So far so good.

11. Admiral_Young

I just finished the book and enjoyed it quite a bit. Agreed with God Magnus with regards to Irvine's use of previous continutity as there are homages and references to previous incarnations of Transformers lore. Wasn't too keen on his writing style though for some reason. I think it could have been faster paced. I liked the relationship between Megatron and Optimus Prime along with Megs jealousy over Optimus's destiny. I'd like to see a follow up book taking place on Earth but I guess that's what "Transformers Prime" will deal with.