Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Yeah, it seems like a nonsense argument to me. The only thing that should matter is the story inside the book, not the number on the outside.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine you have 30 thousand books in your attic.

You put your small collection into 45 short boxes in alphanumeric order, and obviously label the boxes, so that you can find anything you need to, no matter how many years later it is.

There's what 15 Avengers #1, probably more, that either eventually change the specificity of the Avengers title, or reverts back to original numbering, sometimes taking account for the placeholderings of the renumberedbooks, and some times not...

What do you do with your comic books after you read them?

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Except issue #1's are rarely a true jumping on point any more.
    Jason Aaron's Thor #1, picking up from his last.
    Hulk #1 picks up directly from Indestructible Hulk #20
    Waids DD is just a number change.

It's pandering to get those LCS owners to increase orders even if the base really isn't expanding. They get new buyers at best for variant covers but true readers are not gained and sales fall back to where they were by the first or second arc most times.

So when I sniff it out like with Mighty Avengers or Thor I opt to turn those title into just TPB reads.

Conversely I don't see why, nor understand when the notion of jumping in at an issue #45 suddenly became so different for people. Readers did it for decades, gained new fans, character arcs grew the title and nary a #1 was to be seen. How did it become a stigma to suddenly have high numbers?

I get we are well passed ever going back but the change was pointless as the industry rarely has a true #1 jumping on point as it pertains to the A-list character relaunches.

Guardians 3000
    She-Hulk
    Moon Knight
    Elektra
    Silver Surfer
    These are legit examples but Thor, Hulk, DD & MAvengers are not.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I see Captain Craig replied to me too. This post is more in reply to Guy Gardner:

I have stack outs of each comic book I'm currently reading around my room. When the stacks are too high to maintain, I'll box them up with a proper label. So far the renumbering has not affected the way I box up my comics. If anything it gives me a perfect opportunity to box them up every time they start over in the numbering scheme. So yes, eventually I'll have two boxes of Daredevil comics that say 1-whatever the last Waid run was and a new one that says similar.

I will concede though, that this works for me because I've only been collecting comics for a little over two years, so I don't have nearly as many back issues as some of you guys most likely have.

Re: Captain Craig:

I don't disagree with anything you said. I am however more inclined to purchase a number one over a number whatever, and I will admit it's a purely aesthetic reason. Especially in the case of Daredevil where the story simply continued but for whatever reason Marvel reset them back to issue one.

5. Guy Gardener

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

renumbering bothered me when i was younger...now i pretty much accept it. just give me a good story and good art, i don't care what the issue number is.

7. Captain Craig

I accept it, the re-numbering, the industry has catered to the 'x' and/or 'y' factors so this is the status quo now.

I'm just expressing why I think it's silly and unnecessary. Plus...stay off my yard! ;)

I read Black Widow #11 featuring X-23 and this book continues to be a homerun every month from scripting to the art work. They should put a Noto drawn BW on posters/T-Shirts cause more people need to see this art.

Moon Knight #8 - I'm enjoying the book still and admire the new creative team for making their first two books feel nearly seamless from the Warren Ellis run. This issue we get mentions of Lockely and Grant by Moon Knight himself as they seem to be illustrating how during and within the same mission MK is fighting his own condition. However, the more homicidal nature seems at bay....until that final page. It's a likely Harbinger or...????

Over at CBR I read that All New Ghost Rider is nearing cancellation levels along with Ultimate X-Men, Hawkeye and Superior Foes of Spiderman is confirmed as cancelled in a few more issues.
    Ghost Rider is the only one of those I'm reading and frankly they have been drawing this out.
    It's not nearly as interesting as the Alejandra series and yet that suffered the same fate, cancelled at #9. We'll see where this ends but Johnny stops by next issue.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean Ultimate FF, which was confirmed cancelled back in August.

"Black Widow" continues to be exceptional and I'm really enjoying "Punisher" as well.

9. Guy Gardener

I do like the new Punisher book, but why the #### is he wearing a mask?

the renumbering is not half as annoying as the rerenumbering when they revert back to the original numbering... which if the link i supplied above means anything, avengers 600 is closely drawing upon us, and they are not going to ignore the saleability of that.

10. Saga

i hope All New Ghost Rider doesn't get canceled. its such a good book.

11. Guy Gardener

So. Hyperion is gay for Thor.

No "doubt" about that anymore.

Will Thor reciprocate when Hyperion addresses the point finally?

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Axis #1: solid, solid opening. big threat. everybody's on the table. I really hope this doesn't end up being a vast paper tiger like Original Sin. at least it's a continuation of a pre-existing story and not something out of the blue like Fear Itself or Original Sin.

13. Saga

i thought it was good. but man, Kubert's art was very rushed.

14. Guy Gardener

The Dramatis Personae looked like chicken scratch.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Adam Kubert's art always looks like that though.

16. Guy Gardener

Depends on the inker.

25 years ago, the credits to the Namor comic claimed that John Byrne Pencilled and inked the book.

It was fantastic. Some of his best stuff.

But what he was actually doing was drawing straight onto paper with a felt tip pen, FOREGOING pencilling altogether.

My question...

Was he still being paid for both pencilling and inking the book when it's not exactly clear which he wasn't doing?

17. Admiral_Young

18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that Doctor Zero in that poster art?

19. Admiral_Young

20. Captain Craig

Usually I can say I've heard of a character, even if I know zero details.
    This Dr. Zero is not one I can say that about.

Civil War 2015....ok, another universe shattering event. Does no one else feel it's a bit soon for that. Age of Ultron wasn't that long ago. It'll be just 2yrs.
    It's also not like Original Sin wasn't a world changing event for our heroes.