2012/2013 Video Game releases anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Silver, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, I remembered a game that I'm looking forward to this year. It's a remake to one of the best Mario games of all time. Super Mario World: The Second Reality Project 2. It's a romhack of the original game with all new levels, enemies, story, music, graphics, and bosses. It's technically a rom hack, but it's more accurate to say that it's an original game that uses the Super Mario World engine.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8ZtzszasU[/yt]

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

The game I'm looking forward to the most right now is the new Tomb Raider.
    After that it's The Last Of Us, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and Grand Theft Auto 5.

3. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

after Skyrim I'm not really looking forward to anything . . . :(

4. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

Assassin's Creed III
    The Last of Us
    Assassin's Creed Liberation
    Halo 4
    God of War: Ascension
    Resident Evil 6
    Gears of War: Judgment

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Final Fantasy: Versus XIII has quietly been cancelled apparently, I guess we won't be anticipating this one after all.

I wonder whether we'll see any more DLC for Skyrim this year? Anything would be an improvement on Dawnguard.

6. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Actually, it hasn't:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/24/square-reaffirms-existence-of-versus-xiii-continues-to-not-show/

This is literally twice in one week Kotaku has reported on the incredibly likely cancellation of something which has not, in fact, been cancelled -- they did the same thing with the proposed Mass Effect film a few days ago, but there's an interview with the movie's planned director that's only like a week old where he reaffirms its existence.

That said, I could still see either of these projects -- especially the film -- cancelled in the end.

7. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FF XIII has been vocally uncancelled today via several media outlets.

What's wrong with Dawnguard? I enjoyed it OK. I'd like to see more too.

... and I also forgot to mention Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. If you like 3D action adventure brawlers, Castlevania LOS was one of the best in the last few years. I'd highly recommend it.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

In no particular order I'm most looking forward to:

Assassin's Creed III
    Black Ops II
    Bioshock Infinite
    Halo 4
    Star Trek
    Watch Dogs
    Tomb Raider
    GTA V

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

AC3, GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Hitman Absolution maybe (they seem to be changing a lot and I'm not sure about dropping David Bateson either)

10. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I know a few folks had mentioned waiting out on The Last Guardian. Sadly, here's another setback to report:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/09/sony-abandons-the-last-guardian-trademark-can-get-it-back/

Sony has abandoned the trademark for The Last Guardian, a game first teased by Team Ico in 2008 that has since been notoriously absent during subsequent conventions, productions and shows. The last we heard of The Last Guardian was when it didn't make an appearance at E3 this year. During the show, SCEA's Scott Rhode told us, "It just wasn't appropriate for us to give an update. That's just how it worked out."

The trademark was abandoned "because no Statement of Use or Extension Request [was] timely filed after Notice of Allowance was issued," the USPTO TARR report states. Sony may have unintentionally let the trademark lapse, and has two months to file a petition to retrieve the application, according to its notice of abandonment.

The Last Guardian trademark was issued in January 2010, meaning Sony has until January 2013 to prove "use in commerce" and retain the mark, according to sleuth superannuation. "Use in commerce" would mean a completed, marketable game, which doesn't exist, as far as we know. Sony can of course register The Last Guardian in a new trademark if this one lapses.

Regardless of whether Sony intentionally abandoned the trademark, accidentally letting it lapse would seem to indicate a lack of focus on The Last Guardian, substantiated by the lack of content shown to the public.

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Translation: "We haven't produced anything presentable yet."

And that's after four years. It's dead Jim.

12. commanderkai

commanderkai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Right now, I'm looking forward towards Simcity 5 (yeah yeah, just "Simcity" but whatever), and I was looking towards C&C: Generals 2, up until it went to a free2play system like...three days ago.

Other than that, I'm waiting for Civilization V: God and Kings, and Skyrim to become cheaper. Hopefully during Steam's Christmas sale.

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well here's one that I'm surprised to see hasn't been mentioned yet.

New Super Mario Bros. 2. It's a Mario game. It's a platformer. It's not Sunshine. What more needs to be said?

14. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

For the rest of the year, I'm mostly looking forward to Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, and Torchlight 2. All of those have been pre-purchased. If Heart of the Swarm is coming out this year, I'll definitely be picking it up, as well. I'll probably also pick up Assassin's Creed 3, but later on at a discount. I just restarted the first game this summer on the PC, and have to replay 2. I've never played Brotherhood or Revelations on any platform.

I should be really excited about Bioshock Infinite, but I'm not feeling it yet. The first Bioshock is one of my all time favorites. I'll mostly pick it up when it comes out.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

You gotta play Revelations. It's short, but wonderful.

16. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

That's good to hear. I bought the whole series for PC during the Steam summer sale. Now that Guild Wars 2 is out, and Borderlands and Torchlight 2 will be out in a couple of weeks, it's going to be awhile before I get back to the series.

17. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Baldur's Gate enhanced, will probably play it on the iPad. Should be out in a few weeks. Among other factors, I'm really glad that they kept the 2nd edition ruleset, which is still closely related to Gary and Dave's D&D.

18. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

XCOM: Enemy Unknown looks like it might be good.