Bryan Fuller wants to make a new series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Eric Cheung, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekMovie.com reports that Bryan Fuller wants to make a new Trek series. I kind of stopped watching Voyager around the time he started writing for them. So I'm not too familiar with his work.

Speaking completely prematurely, what's everyone's take on how this could go? He says he wants to go back to the spirit of TOS. Do you think he means the time period or going to something 24th century but with a TOS vibe? Voyager was kind of sold as a throwback at first but wasn't really TOS-like. DS9 was sold as something completely different but managed to capture a lot of TOS's visceral qualities.

Personally, if I were to choose a show or movie series to watch, I'd like something that covered the Romulan War. But I doubt we'll see that anytime soon unless there was some direct link to how the new movie plays out.

Perhaps it'll be a ship that's a contemporary of Kirk's Enterprise? That'd be cool.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I don't know what he wrote on Voyager, but between Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, and his brief stint on Heroes (including "Company Man"), any Bryan Fuller project is something I'll be watching----Trek or otherwise.

Pocket Books is working on that at the moment. See The Good That Men Do and Kobayashi Maru for the lead-up----the next one looks set to begin covering the war proper.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

Agreed 100%

4. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Well I hope something comes of this because it's time for something fresh. We're already long overdue for a new Trek based series so lets get the ball rolling!

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost everyone who previously worked on Star Trek would like a crack at creating a sixth series. But only JJ Abrams seems to have exclusivity. Which explains why Fuller is "bigging up" his love for TOS, even to the point of putting down the shows he himself worked on. As for the sterile ENT comment. Perhaps. It's not the way I saw it in Seasons 3 and 4. That was a show accomplishing the impossible, both taking risks and building bridges in equal measure. I tend to think he dipped in and out, either "Trekked Out" at the time or simply too busy working on his own projects.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wrote more in TrekToday but based on his work on Pushing Daisies and Heroes, he would be good as one of the writers on the show. He handles personality, heart and humor well; but someone else will be needed for the more kick-ass and darker stuff. As long as he understood his vision must be merged with others', he would work well as one of the writers.

7. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

More found here

8. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, but I think that Bryan Fuller is the only Trek alum that's really actively courted creating a new series. The impression I get, without really having seen much of his work, is that it would probably be light, quirky, optimistic, and charming. I agree with Temis that he would probably need someone to balance him but I'd certainly be curious to see his take.

9. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Any new trek would be a good thing.

10. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

I couldnt agree more. We have been without a series for long enough. The break was needed; but now it is time to bring it back.

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Any good new Trek would be a good thing.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Paging Brannon Braga....:devil:

13. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, the more I think about it, maybe the next series should be an anthology (ala The Outer Limits). I don't know whether in today's current television climate that would work well, but maybe it would sell (well) as direct-to-DVD.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

No, she should make a new show that has the same feel as DLM and Wonderfalls without being overly cutey like Pushing Daisies.

No new Star Trek, the break is still not long enough.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

If they make a new series, get a new creative team. Maybe have a past writer come in to do a one-off episode, like DC Fontana did for DS9, but other than that, fresh blood.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Bryan Fuller is one of the better writers out there right now (Heroes got noticeably worse after he left), and he's already familiar with the Trekverse. I'd be pretty comfortable with him in charge of the writing room of a new series. We won't hear anything solid until after Star Trek is released, though. If it tanks, CBS won't be interested in funding a new series (they control the TV rights, Paramount only controls film rights).

18. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

How could a trek anthology fail ? It seems the obvious choice - A space station set, a bridge set, etc. It's perfect but's like DS9 and TNG combined. It opens up the possiblities of a new Starship exploring an unknown quadrant for the first time, after Kirk but with the same designs, why not. When something is not right or doesn't work, that is when you change it, not when it's worked for fourty years and maybe a thousand years to come. You could explore many of the same ongoing characters in different situations between the ship. the station and the planets. It's the same formula.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The budget would be way too high.

20. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Actually I'd say it was perfectly viable until a few years ago. If they hadn't auctioned off most of the sets, wardrobe and props... but they did. Each episode would be no different than the effort put into VOY Flashback or ENT In A Mirror, Darkly. Or to really keep costs down, something more like TNG Relics where only half a set is built then blended with stock footage. Most of the planet sets and alien ships tended to resurface across each series anyway... just redressed and given a new coat of paint.

With a Trek anthology series, bottle shows would probably be Earth based, set at Starfleet HQ or the academy. The most expensive ones would probably be trying to recreate something like DS9. Maybe Ops and the odd corridor is affordable but we'd probably not see any new wide panning shots across the promenade.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008