Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

You seem to forget Picard asking Worf if he plans on blasting a hole in the viewscreen when Q appears in Encounter at Farpoint. Or is it only okay to call out male officers when they do something stupid?

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yeah, Roddenberry had his weaknesses was far from perfect, and the writing on TOS and TNG didn't always reflect his noble intentions. But I don't see how that invalidates the message of the show or anything.

These were still shows written by 20th century writers, after all, so it's only natural some of their antiquated ideas and attitudes were going to slip through. And they did still have to draw in male viewers, so of course there were going to be lots of pretty girls in sexy outfits.

It's still a TV show, after all.

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well it made me chuckle.

Season 2. Looking through that list of episodes I think I've treated this season with some disrespect over the years by mainly ignoring it. There are some of Trek's best ever in amongst it - Measure Of A Man and Q Who and some thoroughly entertaining episodes in Elementary Dear Data, Contagion, A Matter Of Honour and Peak Performance. Throw the promised extra's in (especially the extended version of M of a M) and I am actually really looking forward to this. :)

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I'm not saying it invalidates it, I'm just saying that even though he created Star trek, he wasn't good for it. Imagine if DC Fontana and David Gerrold were able to work on the show without Gene and his lawyer always butting in and telling them what to do and what not to do. Michael Piller always described this situation as "Gene's Box", where as long as you work under Gene, you have to abide by his rules of Star Trek. They basically amounted to "Humanity is perfect and there is no conflict. Now go create drama."

If Gene himself didn't care that much for Star Trek's message, why was he so darn insistent that this message be taken to the most serious degree with the other writers?

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I'm a wee bit disappointed in the quality of the cover. The Enterprise looks way out of place.

6. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha nah. As cheesey as the episode is I still think it has some great parts. Worf fighting with the old lady was hilarious.

and this scene should look pretty awesome in remastered HD:

[​IMG]

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

GR took his "vision" from all the stuff fans had projected onto Trek over the years. In time GR adopted it as his own as if he'd intended that all the way back to the beginning.

As much as I love Star Trek I do think GR's "vision" was more a fan invention he took credit for.

8. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding the two versions of Measure of a Man, here's how I understand those: The version that Melissa Snodgrass has on VHS tape is not a strict superset of the broadcast version, i.e. it doesn't just have additional shots but either also alternative shots or lacks some shots used in the broadcast edit. The second version would then be a new edit that combines all of the available footage, i.e. a hybrid of the broadcast edit and the Snodgrass tape.

9. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

That could very well be, though it's odd they labeled the extended cut "HD" but not the hybrid cut. Then again, it's odd they listed Rob Bowman as "Don Berman!" :lol:

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Next you'll tell us Dr Crusher and Troi had nothing to do and they were only there to look pretty.:lol:

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The cover is understated. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

12. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We're getting to see these episodes unlike we've ever seen them before. A less than perfect cover to the set isn't going to faze me.

14. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I could legally purchase for download the eps anywhere with Blu-ray equivalent bitrates I wouldn't even bother with something quaint like discs, so I can't say I care about the cover either.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't think he's wearing a gold uniform; as he never wore one in the series and making him look to be in one would require someone to actually manipulate the image which would be an odd thing to do. It just looks like he's wearing a gold uniform due to the gold tint of the cover.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think that's exactly what is.

17. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Weeeeelll, there is some precedent for this, although it's flimsy, I'll admit. I don't think it would have been a good idea for a starship that was trapped several thousand lightyears from home to start messing with the chain of command. After all, in regular Starfleet, a promotion opens your career up to new opportunities outside your existing post. On Voyager, it only determines how high you are on the local totem pole, because there is no grand scale. It would have created unneeded tension between the crew for Harry to be given authority over crew mates with whom he was previously on an equal footing with (as well as crew mates under whom he was previously subordinate but would have now been equal in rank to), crew mates who would have had exactly the same opportunities for promotion back in Federation space. How do you promote Harry while simultaneously denying every other members of the crew their due?

I think the point was basically that pretty much everyone on that ship deserved equal opportunity for advancement, but because of their extenuating circumstances, they just weren't gonna get it. Apocryphally, he was promoted to a full Lieutenant, skipping Junior Lieutenant entirely.

If I recall, the only promotions ever given out on the show (aside from B'Elanna becoming chief engineer in the infancy of the show) were given to Tuvok and Paris. Tuvok's promotion didn't affect his position in the chain of command, and Paris' promotion only came after getting demoted once.

Anyways, enough about Voyager.

I'm certainly looking forward to S2 more than S1. I'm especially interested in Where Silence Has Lease. While not a perfect episode, Nagilum was an awesome villain. I wish we could have seen more of him in any form of Trek.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

One of the things I like about Season 2 is that it's a nice mixture: we were getting new ideas and new Trek adventures yet it still had something of a TOS resonance to it. Plus it was generally a lot more polished than S1.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't wait for this. I will be at a theater screening if they really are having one because I was on the fence about buying season 1, decided to buy it, and regretting not doing the theater screening the night before. Also, I think having just gone and seen Dark Knight Rises had something to do with it too.

The only hard thing will be waiting like 21 days while the excitement on here is going strong because I plan on asking for this set for Christmas. Still, I can't wait and I'm glad we finally have a release date.

I really hope Stardate Revisited Season 2 has an exclusive interview with Diana Muldaur. I would love to see what she's been up to since TNG, what she looks like now, and her time on the show. One thing that I found unfortunate is that the writers never brought Pulaski back and even her name was only mentioned once. It was like one and done and she was forgotten. Yeah I get the McCoy criticisms, but to shove a character to the side like that is just something I found as a missed opportunity.

Speaking of Diana Muldaur, I was searching through Youtube and actually found a video from January 2012 where she does talk about her time on TNG. It's this kind of thing I hope is on the set.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9kDZMPg_24&feature=player_embedded#![/yt]

Her TNG talk starts at the 15 minute mark and she does get a bit of info wrong regarding Gene Roddenberry's death. Also, I think the end of this segment about why she left is revealing and might be why she never came back.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral