who the fff... put Troi in that outfit??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dal Rassak, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What is a councillor doing wearing a lilac bodysuitall the time? I mean she's meant to be a Starfleet officer, isn't she, and I suppose councillor falls under medical officer,so why doesn't she wear the uniform?
    It's only near the end of season 6, after the brief tenure on the Enterprise of Captain Jellico, who insisted she dress more formally, that she did wear the uniform and it suited her much better. But for practically the entire run of the series (barring the odd attractive evening gown) she goes round in this ridiculous number that you might wear doing yoga down the gym. Plus the front was cut so low you'd be in danger of dropping your eyes down her cleavage. How's any normal male meant to take psychological advice from anyone dressed like that? How would you ever concentrate?? What I'm saying is it seems unprofessional.

2. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

My money's on Maurice Hurley. Though it persisted well after he left, so I dunno. It is more than a little silly, though.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A female Trek character in clothing that high lights her sexuality? Why has no one ever noticed this before?????

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

For all we know, she does. That jumpsuit never changed much, so perhaps it was the official Counselor's uniform?

We have seen weirder. Crusher always wore a nonstandard jacket, Picard started wearing one later on as well, and all sorts of background and eventually also foreground characters wore the odd mustard jumpsuits.

In comparison with the tights the men wear? I don't quite see it.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Keturah

Keturah Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I remember someone asking Marina Sirtis about this phenomena at a convention. Rather than explaining who or why she just smiled and said. "No let's think about this. Gentleman, which outfit would you like to see?" And that was that.

6. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

You're seeing it from a 20th century perspective; it was meant to imply a much different society in the 24th century. Cleavage? Why not? What are they - Puritan prudes? Body-hugging uniforms - why not? Is she supposed to pretend she doesn't have a body? Or poor men, they have uncontrollable urges. Must suppress them! Make the women dress in burlap sacks so the men can concentrate.

7. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I don't have the ability to link stuff from work but remember the dress uniforms for TNG? They looked like dresses and the leggings just added to the silliness of that getup

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard it said that the costume actually makes professional sense. Putting Deanna in an outfit where her rank isn't thrust in the face of her patients. If they were contstantly being reminded (by the uniform and rank pips) that they're being asked to 'fess to a woman who is their Commander as well as their counsellor, a junior officer might be less willing to go to her with their troubles.

Personally, there's a part of me that kinda wishes they hadn't given her officer rank and put her in a uniform in the pilot episode in the first place. That was the mistake, if anything. The character might have been better served if the implication was of her being essentially an outside civilian in a high position. Of course, it would be hard to accentuate her importance in the ship's hierarchy without showing her rank... :confused:

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Troi in a miniskirt is NEVER a mistake.

10. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

But that's what they did for five seasons. Hell, when "Disaster" originally aired, I had forgotten Troi had a rank at all. I had completely forgotten she had been depicted as a Starfleet officer in the pilot, and had taken to thinking of her as a civilian psychiatrist/psychologist serving Starfleet, the way Guinan is a civilian serving drinks as a bartender.

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

;)

Oh, I feel exactly the same way. For the longest time I actually used to think that it had been a conscious decision made by the production team after the pilot episode, to retcon her as a civilian. So it seemed weird to me too when "Disaster" reminded us of her technical rank of lieutenant commander, and then seasons six, seven and the movies seen her increasingly wearing uniform again instead of the leotards.

12. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gene Roddenberry?

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

We have a winner!

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Wrong, it was meant to show Marina Sirtis cleavage to appeal to the male audience, it wasn't meant to imply anything anout the 24th century.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Roddenberry originally wanted to Deanna to have three breasts, and he had to be convinced that it was a stupid idea. We dodged a bullet! :lol:

16. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

It kinda makes sense that she wears civilian clothes because she works with alot of the civilians on the ship. They reinforced the outfits by showing other people wearing rather tight-fitting civilian outfits. Tasha's sister comes to mind. Heck, even Q had to wear spandex when he lost his powers. However, she should have been occasionally wearing her uniform all along.

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember it didn't really bother me much when the show was new. It was noticeable of course, but it just seemed that Picard had offered leeway on his bridge, Wesley's stupid gray 'acting' ensign jumpsuit, Beverly ambling about in an ugly green lab coat, Worf wrapped in a tank tread, & Picard himself experimenting with different fashions, the most laughable of which was his puffy vinyl shoulder pads

Lest we forget, Troi spent most of season one in a gray jumpsuit & an updo. It was far less casual looking than the maroon & lavender suits, but ugly as hell. Heck sometimes you'd see her on the bridge in the teal dress with the oblong neckline

That's why it always struck me as pure hypocrisy for Riker to reprimand Ro for wearing an earring like a stodgy douchebag

I remember watching that scene & thinking "Dress code? On that ship? Are you shitting me?"

It does annoy me a bit in hindsight, but that has more to do with the fact that it became a meme with every Trek show to follow, that the bridge crew had to have someone without a standard Starfleet uniform. That's when it really became ridiculous

18. balticballet

balticballet Ensign Newbie

Jealous of Marina for having the body to wear those outfits, although I have plenty of cleavage if I was to wear on of those jumpsuits the everybody would spontaneously vomit when they see my spare tire.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think the catsuits were Berman's idea. VOY and ENT still had characters wearing them even though Gene Roddenberry had nothing to do with those shows.

20. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Imagine Seven of Nine in one of Troi's outfits...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.