Marriage in Nutrek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lt. Cheka Wey, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

With young people getting married later ior not at all should these trends be reflected in NuTrek. Have we seen a couple with children that was not married and lived happily together in Trek ever? Should we?

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 had an unmarried couple living happily together with a child without making a fuss about it. Marriage was considered but things never came to that.

TNG was a bit bolder, having an unmarried couple where the mother of the child flat out refused to even consider marriage; also, a proposal after sex was just about the most disgusting thing she could think of.

It's a bit difficult to see what nuTrek could offer that would be particularly insightful or relevant in this respect. Just about the only thing Trek hasn't done yet is an abusive relationship between main characters (unless one counts Worf and Dax constantly beating each other to pulp).

Timo Saloniemi

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I hope nu trek reflects more of society traditional structure of relationships. which means I would like to see a couple in new trek married first and then children, its just works better that way.

4. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Instead of tunnel vision-ing on one type of relationship, why not take the realistic route, which is "different strokes for different folks."

IE, different people do different things differently.

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Nope.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Is not cool to marry then have kids.

My husband and I are the only ones in our social group who did it in that order.
    Since its not cool I don't thing Abrams would do it.

Still (maybe it was just me) but when TWOK came out I was a bit shocked to find out that Kirk had a child and was unmarried.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Nice that you disregard as merely "kewl" the life choices of your friends. Are you this judgmental in real life, too?

Notice how nobody said that marriage-then-kids is old-fashioned, boring, backwards. Just different strokes for different people.

8. Timo

In a lot of places nowadays, such life choices have relatively little practical significance and indeed boil down to being cool, cute, trendy, whatnot... It's hardly "dismissal" to speak lightly of them, then. If somebody takes the issue very seriously, fine - but ignoring the trendiness angle is dismissive of the facts of the matter.

obTrek: The current set of heroes offers few opportunities for truly traditional marriages. With respect to the one female character of relevance, Chekov is a child, Spock is an alien, Kirk is a womanizing nutcase, McCoy is a divorcee and a nutcase, and Scotty is old, bald and a nutcase.

Timo Saloniemi

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've seen what, a grand total of three married couples in the Abrams movies, and they all had one of them killed. I don't think marital structure is something Abrams has plans of delving into in his movies anyway. They're primarily action movies, not romance or an examination of societal values.

10. Timo

If anything is traditional about marriage in movies, it's exploitation thereof for thrills and tears (or chuckles, but that's usually outside the action genre)... The nuMovies seem to be doing well in that department. Marrying Spock and Uhura (to each other or to other characters) at this point would probably be a dramatically beneficial move.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Commishsleer

Isn't that what I said. Read between the lines. Its old-fashioned to marry and have kids in that order. I am old-fashioned. I am not trendy. I am boring (Surely you've worked that out by now if you've read any of my posts :lol:)

I don't judge my friends. I couldn't care less if they marry or not. What business it of mine? My brothers aren't married and have kids. I tease them about getting married as is my job as their older sister but in reality I couldn't care less if they got married or not.
    I'm not going to tell anyone how to live their lives (except my kids) - I'm not a perfect example of anything.

But 30 years ago it was more shocking to see unmarried people having children and not having anything to do with their children. At least in my neck of the woods At The End of The Universe. Now everyone does it. It lost its shock value for me a long long time ago.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course Kirk did not know the kid existed. I would have to assume that if he had known all along he would have done the perfect Kirk-ian thing and sent him a birthday card every year, after Spock reminded him of the stardate.

13. Commishsleer

I thought Kirk did know about David and that Carole refused to let him see David or let David know that he wasn't a sperm bank kid.
    Jees father's rights sure have deteriorated by the 23rd century.
    She probably moved from planet to planet to avoid Kirk. Bitch!:lol:

14. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I know trek is fiction however trek has always reflected our society and this society we live in has proven time and time again that it is best for a child to be raised in a household where the father and mother are either married or are in some sort of commitment (domestic partnership) with one another.

Of course there are circumstances (death of a parent , illegitimacy, domestic violence or divorce) when most children would not be able to experience the traditional family structure.

However , when an opportunity is given for a child to have a mother and father as a married or stable couple, I say no child should be denied that.

For the past 3 weeks since the Travyon Martin case , race and the family unit has been a hot topic in America . 73% of African American (AA) kids are born out of wedlock with absent fathers, this scenarios has contributed to why a lot of African American men go down the thug life which only leads to imprisonment, drugs and death.

Of course this is not just for AA, Its for young men in general. A lot of men (not all) with absent fathers tend do worse in life.

So I say Trek should keep the traditional family unit structure.

Relating my personal opinions to the Trek couples, Carol is now on the ship, if David is born in this timeline, Kirk would definitely be there with her to raise him. Chris Pine's Kirk seems to get more mature with every film so I don't see him not be there for his son.

As for Spock/Uhura, Vulcans have always been traditional. In the comics Spock did defined their relationship as a courtship (you an get more traditional than that). So I don't think they would jump into anything.

which to me, is the way it should be in the real world.

Someone commented on JJ and his view on marriage. JJ is married with 3 kids and his leading female character , Sydney Bristow from Alias. got married and had two kids with her husband by the time the last episode aired

So I don't see JJ straying away from that ideology.

Forgive me for ranting but I am just so sick of how most young people of this generation have come to embrace the baby mama and baby daddy nonsense.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  15. Commishsleer

Spock and every Vulcan male needs to get married/bonded.
    Or can they have the pon farr without being bonded?

16. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Maybe they should get married for the sole purpose of love and reproduction , considering how only 10000 Vulcans are left.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Didn't a Vulcan character in Voyager go through Pon Farr without being married/bonded? Vorik?

18. Commishsleer

Would Vulcans consider Spock good breeding stock and how about Uhura?
    I would think the Vulcans would be virtually forcing everyone to have kids.

Yes I remember Vorik hassling B'Elanna. I can't remember the resolution, was it a fight or a holodeck creation like Tuvok?
    If I were Uhura I wouldn't like Spock resolving his pon farr with a hologram though. :lol:

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why would Spock need a hologram with a real live Uhura right next to him?

20. Commishsleer

If he/she didn't want to get married/bonded. Just speculating on the topic subject.

I don't think Uhura would let Spock die for some I'm not getting married principle. But looks like there's some trickery that might get them out of it if that what they want.