Roger Ebert is dead...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm sorry for having a fucking opinion. I guess I'll just go kill myself now.

Jesus Christ even the shunshine and happiness pony guy wants to take the shit on me.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The celeb obits come in and some get you more than others. This one's hard, kind of like losing a friend, I mean we never met but I had a real affection and affinity for Roger more than just admiration or respect. Even when I didn't agree with him I still held him in warm regard. ah, sad...

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Here's an idea: Think about why that is. Not everyone can be after you for just having an opinion. Think about how you're using it.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Trekker, You are full of BS. I've seen "*insert name* is dead" in headlines and all that a million times, and I'm sure you have....like four years ago

[​IMG]

5. Trekker4747

The New York Post. Great choice for subtle, tasteful, journalism.

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

The Washington Post (well reputable BTW)

[​IMG]

The So So USA Today

[​IMG]

The LA Times

[​IMG]

7. Trekker4747

Fine. I was wrong. I'm so fucking sorry I expressed my opinions on the way the thread was titled, my opinions on some of Ebert's reviews while at the same time praising him, saying RIP and saying I read his reviews and will miss them!

Talk about ME nitpicking small stuff.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Because saying "RIP" on a Star Trek forum that Ebert's family will never see means so much.

9. Trekker4747

You're right. And I look like an idiot schmuck for being the only one who did it.

10. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

What a shame that a memorial thread is hijacked by an online tantrum. :eek:

Mr. Ebert, thank you for the reviews. Thank you for your intellect. Thank you for your love of cinema.

RIP.

11. Trekker4747

12. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very sad news. RIP Mr. Ebert.

It's sad that so many of the people that I grew up with our leaving this world.

Someone mentioned watching Dark City with Ebert's audio commentary. He also did an audio commentary for Casablanca, I think I may watch that too.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I didn't really agree with his opinions on a lot of movies, Ebert certainly was a stand out movie critic and I doubt we'll see another like him. RIP.

14. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconds that. He was one heck of a good reviewer and he'll truly be missed. He was a treasure and I enjoyed watching him and Siskel on 'At the Movies' and later him and Roeper. It's not going to be the same :(.

RIP Roger, and may you and Siskel be up there in heaven, reviewing films once more.

*on a side note, nice avatar and location and sig quote -- a nice nod to a legend...

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Roger's reviews and insights were ones I'd followed and respected for over 30 years. He'll be missed.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Indeed, he was. Much of my childhood involved watching "At the Movies", and there was nothing more fun than watching Gene and Roger get into a heated debate about a particular movie. One of my favorite quotes by Roger was about The Last Airbender, where he said "The Last Airbender is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented."

Oh, I am going to really miss that man! :lol:
    Also, his novel "This Movie Sucks" is a treasure trove of Roger Ebert wit at it's best. It's worth owning if you don't have it.

Thank you. If I still had premium membership, my user title would have said "Critically Acclaimed." ;)

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

My favorite Ebert piece. Not a movie review, but rather "Thoughts on Bill O'Reilly and Sqeaky the Chicago Mouse"...

:guffaw::rofl::rommie::lol::techman:

19. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: It was a joy to watch him review, learned a lot from it :). I'll have to see if my local library has that book so I can try to check it out.

*I give him two corn cobs up -- he was corny humor at its best at times :p :lol:.*

You're welcome. That's a good user title. Mine might have said: 'The balcony is closed...' if I had a premium account.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And my favorite Ebert movie review-- For "Deuce Bigilo: European Gigilo". This review is where he got the title for his book, "Your Movie Sucks".

:lol::rofl::rommie::guffaw: