STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FAQ

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Timelord Victorious, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It is time to update our fleet thread.

Please discuss fleet matters here and post you requests to join.

What is the TrekBBS Armada and the House of TrekBBS?

The TrekBBS Armada is our Federation fleet in Star Trek Online.
    Every member of the board is welcome to join and enjoy every community privilige a fleet in STO has to offer, like a special uniform, fleet bank access, help from fleet adjutants with leveling, builds, crafting, Doff system and any other benefit that future game updates will bring for fleets.

The House of TrekBBS is the equivalent of the Klingon Defense Force and the same rules and priviliges apply.
    However at the moment the membership numbers of the House are very small and can't quite provide the same resources as the Armada.
    Any donation is helpful.
    If you haven't done so, feel free to create a KDF character and join the glorious battle against the Empire's foes.

Can only board members join?

Generally the fleet is meant for board members, yes.
    However there are a couple of exceptions for good friends from real life that some of us just like to play with together.
    If you have some friends who would like to meet our little community feel free to invite them.
    Non board members might not get full fleet priviliges and promotions though to keep the fleet active as a true home for board members.

How do I join either fleet?

Please post your ingame name here for an invite in the following format:
    charactername@username
    If you are unsure what that is for you, just post something in the game's chat system and the name will appear there in the right format.

Alternatively you can sent any fleetmember a mail ingame. Many of us have their game names visible in their board signatures.

How can I invite other people into the fleets?

Open the fleet menu in game, click on the Roster tab and then on invite on the lower right corner of the appearing window.
    Enter the players name in the same format mentioned above.
    You can also invite alternate characters from the same faction
    and don't need to ask other players for help in this case.

What are fleet ranks and how do I get a promotion?

Fleet ranks are as follows: Cadet, Crewman, Officer, Adjutant, Fleet Adjutant and Fleet Admiral

Every member starts as a Cadet and can be promoted to a higher "rank" by any adjutant.

Cadet is a trial rank, that gives us time to get to know you in game.
    The best way to get a higher rank is to interact with us, play missions, PvP or just talk in chat.
    As soon as we are sure that you are not here to troll, flame or rob the fleet bank clean you will get a promotion to Crewman.
    if you feel that you are overdue for a promotion feel free to ask us for an evaluation. Someone probably just overlooked your contributions to the fleet activities unintentionally.

Crewman is the standard membership rank.
    You will get extended bank access and invite rights.
    For non board members this is the maximum rank.

Officer is the top rank for non administrativ members.
    If you reach this rank, you are considered to be a game veteran.
    You know your stuff.
    You are capable to build an effective ship, know the game systems and are typically of maximum level.
    Please help the newer and less experienced players to reach the same.
    They will look up to you.
    You get a bit less bank restrictions

An Adjutant rank can be received by anyone in theory but there are only a small number of them to organize fleet events, bank content and roster management.
    If you want to take a more active role in fleet organization ask the Fleet Admiral if any positions are open.

Why are there restrictions on the fleet bank?

As much as we would liek a completely open bank for everyone, there is no way to ensure the safety of its contents.
    The bank might be not the biggest in the whole game compared to other fleets, but it is still worth tens of millions Energy Credits all in all and it just takes one bad apple to rob everythine without restrictions.
    Cryptic generally doesn't police fleet members. They gave us the tools to do it ourselves.
    Every member with full access technically has every right to grab what he can and "run"...
    But I'm sure most fleet members wouldn't be very thrilled if that happened...

Will I get a promotion faster if I donate a lot?

No, fleet promotions are not tied in any way to your donations to the bank.
    Only activity and interaction with other fleet members will do that trick.
    Any selfless contribution will help us gather resources for crafting and future fleet purchases.
    At this point those resources are likely to help with building a fleet base when those systems get added to the game which will provide further priviliges and abilities that benefit every member.

Where is my fleet uniform?

Every member unlocks a free uniform slot upon joining. This slot could be used for any costume but we would like you to pick up the official fleet uniform at the next tailor (at Earth Space Dock, Deep Space Nine, Klingon First City, etc...)
    It features the official current color scheme of the board (or as close as we could get it at least) black, grey, dark blue.
    Alterations and customization can be:

Open Uniforms jackets, skirts (there is a premade template for female characters), belt (I recommend the Jupiter belt or the Wrath of Khan belt) and gloves.

Please keep the original color. If you like the uniform but want to have classic Star Trek colors you can use your default uniform slots for those or unlock more slots through any way provided by Cryptic.

How do the fleets communicate?

Every fleet has their own default fleet channel which automatically unlocks when you join.
    This channel is hardly used by us anymore because it is limited to one faction.
    We have a gamewide custom channel called
    TrekBBS Subspace Com

It is an open channel anyone can join.
    I will edit precise instructions to join later.

This channel has the benefit to be accessible from both factions and even other Cryptic games like Champions Online and characters not aligned with our fleet like alts...

Does the fleet have a Vent or other voice chat server?

Not at this time. In theory we can use the ingame voice system Vivox. That is a bit buggy however.
    If someone has the means to establish a Vent or Teamspeak service for the fleet please feel free to do so. :)
    Some of us also use Steam for voice communication which is sufficient for small teams most of the times but doesn't work fleet wide.

I will edit this post later with more information if necessary and if new questions arise.
    If you have more input for the FAQ feel free to post in this thread.

2. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Re: STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FA

This is great! Definitely update the instructions for joining the comm channel.

I have a KDF character for the House: Icarium@Ruaidhri

I don't play him nearly as much as my Fed, but he's a level 35 Gorn Engineer. Going to rank him up to the next class of ship soon.

3. Timelord Victorious

Meh... the Editing function is already gone for the first post? It's been barely a day! :scream:

Anyway...

Instructions to join the fleet chat:

Right click on the Chat tab of the chatbox, click on Channels in the newely opened window and enter TrekBBS Subspace Com into the Join/Create text field and click join.

daedalus, if you don`t mind editing that into the original post, as it seems I can't do it anymore..

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I think there's a 24 hour window on that. For after that, it may be impossible or only doable by mods.

5. Praetor Adele

Praetor Adele Commodore Commodore

Do we have/need someone arranging the business on the House side?

6. Timelord Victorious

Kaziarl is the XO of the House. Haven't seen him online for a while, but my STO time is limited atm as well.

7. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi all. I joined the fleet in April of 2010, but another game lured me away. I am returning, and want to join up again.

I don't know if you purged inactive members, so I may already be there.

Could you add Vendahra@Vendikarr?

8. Timelord Victorious

I reinvited you.

Oh, and apparently the fleet roster is still broken and showing members online who are not actually online.

9. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New information on the up coming fleet starbases and fleet advancement.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3218

I'm going to start spending more time online now (after my recent absence) and gearing the fleet up to take advantage of the new developments that are coming our way as part of Season 6. Watch this space!

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone catch the name at the top of the blog fleet holdings picture :lol:

11. Timelord Victorious

new playable species then?

[​IMG]

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

:rofl:

It is good to see that the fleet base system is designed to counter the bias inherent advantage that big fleets have. Even a large fleet with lots of players will require 7-9 months to build a top tier starbase. Of course, there's no guarantee that the design would work in the real world but I'm slightly hopeful.

13. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

When I see statements like that, it is going to take X time to build something, X time to reach top rank, and so forth, I immediately become sceptic. A gamer's drive, is never to underestimated, especially one that is a Trekkie.

14. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

That is a true fact. I should have clarified that the fleet advancement system has two phases, a material gathering phase and a waiting phase. A determined fleet can shorten the time taken to gather the necessary upgrade materials. However, the waiting time to complete the project is baked into the advancement system itself and cannot be changed by players.

Cryptic devs have already stated it will take a full year of waiting to complete every single upgrade project. Granted, not every single upgrade is desirable and can be bypassed. That shaves 3 to 5 months off the time required, hence the 7 to 9 months I quoted.

15. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have created a fleet event for the TrekBBS Armada:)
    The event "Fleet Meet" will be held on Saturday 16th of June at the Club 47, Earth spacedock
    (please check the time from the game)

We will be chatting about the future of the fleet(mainly about building the fleet starbase), do some STFs and/or missions..and so on.
    Bring some drinks and your party poppers.

All fleet members are welcome:techman:
    I hope to see all of you there on Saturday!:cool:

16. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great idea JRS!

I'm at a Con in Birmingham, but I'll see if I can get online.

Which reminds me - are any fleet members going to the Destination: Star Trek London convention in October? Anyone want to meet up?

17. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I have other plans, but one of my co-workers is attending. I think they have Gold Passes. Looks like it will be an exciting Con.

18. Rocketeer

I didn't see anyone when I was one, but that's normal lately. Anyway, I'm with whatever we're doing on the fleet starbase. Will that mainly be resource gathering?

19. Timelord Victorious

What I am afraid of, is that the Starbase building will be the biggest grind yet.

The new content it will come with might be interesting for 2 runs and then it's back to STF levels of repetition.

Technically our fleet is well equiped for it.
    Devs said the sweet spot for efficient build times is member numbers of 40-50 which is pretty close to us (when all members are actively playing). Last time I counted we were around 30.
    Efficient in this case means, enough players to make good progress and enough rewards to benefit all of us.

Then again, the reason for the inactivity is said grind I think.

Personally I had enough of it, since it wasn't going anywhere.
    Every reward you can grind is completely useless cause once you have it there is nothing else we can do with it.

The recent State of the Game article says we will get the Tholians with the new season as enemies...
    Great, enemies without content. I guess they will show up in the new repeatable grind missions.

Yes, DStahl also said that season 7 will be story contentpalooza with the Tholians taking center stage before the end of the year.

They said the same thing about season 5 after FTP before FTP became season 5 and then between release of season 5 nothing much happened up to now with season 6, another system- not content-update, is about to knock on the door.

So what are we grinding for?

Maybe it is time to shift the priorities of the fleet a bit.
    I am not in charge anymore, but what do you guys think of trying to be more self sufficient and make our own content.
    Through Foundry missions and Roleplay?
    I am sure, there are lots of roleplay options in game? We can include PvP, Foundry and of course having our own starbase helps a lot!
    We have our KDF faction as a counterpart which we can actually communicate with (I am looking at you TOR with no means of communication between factions).

Let's use that.

20. Rocketeer

I have a KDF sci and engr. Both are in another fleet, but I could pull one over here. What's the current composition of the KDF fleet?

Risa was the HQ of one of my old fleets. Away from the crowds at ESD and SFA. Other good locations are starship interiors. The TOS Constitution interior is especially fun to run around in.

I find typing and playing at the same time challenging. I recommend Ventrilo. It would be good for roleplaying or just running missions together.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.