ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Voyager Ep Counterpoint (Season 5)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Defiant Obrien, Jul 28, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tuvix agrees with this.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvix can just shut the fuck up OH WAIT! He's dead :evil:

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we wonder why Janeway falls for the Gestapo agent? They have so much in common. ;)

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Counterpoint is awesome. I think it stands out to me as one of the most enjoyable VOY episodes probably because its actually fairly atypical for a Voyager script, it does things and takes risks and despite obviously being standalone there's just the hint of the reset button not being pressed at the end. I remember on my first watch-through it was really one of the ones that I was gripped by from start to finish. :techman:

5. Captain Ransom

Captain Ransom Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

First of all, I think the hair style change had more to do with the people in charge of the show getting more publicity making sure the show got more publicity. People seem to place a lot of emphasis on looks, so naturally, hair is a target for creating whatever "look" is thought to be more attractive.

In Relativity, Janeway goes back in time and B'Elanna sees Janeway with a different hair style than she would have had at that time. :lol:

I want to know - when, other than in the novels, did Chakotay ever express any romantic interest in Janeway?

And in Shattered, Chakotay says "There are some boundaries we never cross" or something along those lines.

Try as I might, I can't think of any kind of relationship between Chakotay and Janeway other than that of captain and first officer.

To some people, the time/distance doesn't matter. A Vulcan might very well qualify, and Chakotay (in the series) ends up with Seven of Nine. So, who is to say he or Janeway were ever each others type, or ever interested in each other at all? There is much more to life than "banging" people. And there is a huge difference between "banging" and "loving." It might sound cliche, but the mate-for-life types like me won't "share themselves" when they've promised something so important to someone they care about more than anything and it isn't any kind of challenge to avoid that kind of behavior. Despite what the media would like you to believe, not all women in this nearly rotten world are going to run around on you, but I sure do understand being misanthropic lately.

That was so disturbing! She disappointed me in that episode - Harry saved the day.

You have got to be joking?! =(

I can't believe this... I must never read the novels if I want to keep liking Voyager, apparently. =(

As much as I love Janeway, you're right. And even though she touts the Prime Directive, I've been re-watching TNG most recently, and even Picard has to answer to someone fairly often. Furthermore, he almost never gets to make decisions solely based on his judgment - and if he does, he doesn't go for very long without being made to answer for it. Whereas, Janeway doesn't have anyone to answer to except herself and *her* interpretation of the Prime Directive.

While I don't really like the Ransom character, I thought Janeway was rather quick to jump on the idea of punishing him (someone who was in an even worse situation than she was) for behaving not entirely dissimilar to how she was behaving. And I can think of at least a few times when she knowingly broke the Prime Directive. Once was to cross a border to get home faster - she might not be killing life forms to get home, but she is still actively deciding to break the Prime Directive.

Oh... =(

Poor Tuvix... He was an improvement on Neelix, but I missed Tuvok.

I completely agree. Can you believe this episode along with "Gravity" and "Bliss" were the last Voyager episodes I watched (because my discs jammed and wouldn't play them)? I finished the series before seeing these and I can identify with the comment you made about it being "fairly atypical" for a Voyager script. I'd say quite a bit so.