The Walking Dead Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

What if it's just a ploy? Like Rick makes this deal, but then turns on them anyways? I mean obviously something goes wrong, and I'm not sure if Gareth and Co. really ends up coming with them.

I agree that you can make out a lot of the story from the trailer, but hopefully there's a few twists.

I think I saw Sam as one of those bound and gagged people, but I'm not sure.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

New Walking Dead trailer hints at some major character deaths. I wonder if this is the final season for Glenn?

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Glenn is alive at the beginning of the trailer and alive at the end. What's the worry?

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Glenn and Maggie had an ominous sounding speech in the rail tunnel full of walkers at the end of last season where all of us who were watching unanimously said: "Well, one of them is going to die for sure now." So I wouldn't be surprised to see Glenn bite it at some point.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

We finally have a properly formatted poster released! This should end up being the cover art for the S5 dvd/bluray release. All the previous season posters were used for their video releases.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

8. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Just so long they don't get rid of Sasha or Maggie. Both are hot, strong characters, and my favorites!

10. DarthTom

One of the things that's going to be interesting to me to watch this season and I'm sure the next is how do they keep the show, "fresh," without having a semi-duplication of the same storyline over and over which is: character A faces an extreme event either with the zombies or the other survivors and either is killed or finds some miracle way to survive.

To some degree the cannibals - assuming that's what this group is - is somewhat familiar to Woodbury. And from what I can gather from the comics, Ricks eventual move to the suburbs of D.C. is a repeat of the same.

This show isn't episodic like The Simpsons and viewers will eventually IMO want some sort of search and eventual find for a, "cure." I'll be very surprised if TWD can hold onto it's 13 million + viewers weekly through season 5 if they start to rehash and rinse repeat the same plot lines.

I'll also be surprised if the series can last beyond year #7. At some point the public's fetish for the zombie genre will wain.

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

As the show progresses, it is becoming more about the humans degenerating into a Lord of the Flies type of survival world with the zombies more in the background; always there, but not quite as scary or dangerous as the thinking people.
    Since the living humans know how to stop people from turning into zombies upon dying, and with all the zombie bashing going on, shouldn't the "population" of zombies be dropping some?

12. DarthTom

You'd think. Especially in rural Georgia. But the comics at least have Rick et al going to D.C.. D.C. has a large population and if the virus got out of control as quickly as depicted in Atlanta on the show - there should be a lot of them there.

As many have said in other seasons - they're strecthing our disbelief that a city as heavily armed as Washington D.C. would be during the outbreak of the ZA - and that there is several military bases not to mention all of the extra security there to protect the President and the Congress - a full fledged overtake of the area in the real world is highly improbable. But then again so are walking dead people. :)

As an aside: anyone catch the news stories coming out of Liberia about Ebola patients who were prounced dead, coming back to life? Ebola patients rise from the dead

13. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Well, they're sort of doing that with Eugene right now. But I'm guessing just based on the pattern of the way things go in TWD, that it's not going to work out. Seriously, the show has such a predictable pattern of building up hope, and then obliterating it, that every viewer knew Terminus was a really bad idea. Maybe when the characters fail on this latest quest, they'll finally understand that. I think some viewers need to understand that as well.

14. DarthTom

That's my point. A rinse repeat of hope found - hope dashed - hope obliterated by either a evil living person or a zombie could get old.

Albeit I have to admit they did it really, really well with the death of Lizzie and Mika in season 4. But that's only because IMO the actors who play Carol and Tyreese are so strong.

15. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me as one who's interest is really starting to wain. I was onboard full throttle with zombies starting with Dawn of the Dead/Shaun of the Dead, but the last two seasons of Walking Dead and all the shitty zombie B-movies popping up on Netflix are really starting to turn me off from zombies.

I'm going to give Season Five a few episodes in, but if nothing really changes, I'm out.

16. DarthTom

Has anyone heard of any good spoilers for season 5? There doesn't seem to be much out there when I've done Google searches.

17. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. From certain spoiler images, I do see an unfortunate pattern--IF the images are properly interpreted. So, without giving anything away, I detect the possibility of similar shock setups/timing from all of season three happening again.

If predictable patterns continue (i.e. patterns driving the story more than the characters), some fans may not care which character lives or dies, and that threatens to push the series toward an early end. Who knows.

Particularly if the series is too much about the next human psychopath to use gruesome and/or abusive tactics against the protagonists (and that is exactly what will happen if the comic plot is any indicator). From season 2 Shane, to Tomas/Andrew, the Governor and his henchmen, Joe's "claimed" gang, and now Terminus, psychopaths have mounted center stage, while zombies are just easily killed background players, there just to maintain a horror theme association.

19. DarthTom

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, rewatching the very first episode tonight. To bring up an old conversation about how long Rick was in the hospital, there is one definite data point. When they go to the police station and make Rick is testing for hot water, Morgan mentions to him that propane service has been down for "about a month".