The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 30 2014, 07:57 PM   #331
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Re: Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

I would think the transwarp project would identify the warp power curves that would later become the new TNG warp scale, but not impliment them as a new scale at first. Possibly by the time she enters service, if TUC/Flashback vessels used the new scale (which isn't clear to me). This would require a fleet wide adjustment and possibly retraining, though that might not take that long. A video on warp dynamics and you followed by a test of how the new scale effects your career, and you pass.

However, depending on how the scale from TNG is setup, the USS Excelsior, to beat the USS Enterprise's speed record, would need to get past the old warp factor 14.1. On the published new scale that is about warp 9.9 (Warp factor 14.1 being around 2,800 times the speed of light).

This would not be cruising speed. If the Galaxy-class is suppose to have a maximum cruising speed of warp 9.6 for 12 hours and 9.2 sustained, than Excelsior cruising at warp 8 or 9 is likely acceptible in the new scale. Both of those being over the old scale's warp factor 10. Though this is below the refit Enterprise's theoretical warp factor 12 for four days sustained speed from Earth to Vulcan, which would be around the new scale's warp 9.4.

Assuming any of the warp charts have any chance of being close to accurate in terms of speed in multiples of light years.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2014, 01:44 AM   #332
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Necro-post or not, this is a project I'm keen to see completed as an observer on the sideline.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2014, 04:50 AM   #333
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ditto.
Old October 8 2014, 01:53 AM   #334
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

I've just completed my model of the SV-20-A concept if anyone's interested: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=255706

I'd love to see more on this project Praetor, if you're still out there?
Old October 8 2014, 08:35 PM   #335
JES
Captain

Just read through the entire history portion of the Excelsior Technical Thread. Praetor, you made one very entertaining read!

Though according to the Ingram Technical Manual, she was originally equipped with Transwarp Drive, so maybe she was intended to be a more compact experimental testbed, while the Excelsior was kept alive by being retrofitted with more proven technology.

When it was proven that the Ingram just wasn't gonna cut it with Transwarp, due to technical and architectural limitations deemed at the time, probably due to nearly being destroyed by another out-of-control Transwarp Core, Starfleet finally decided to equip her with a standard Warp Drive too.

That is not to say that Starfleet R&D didn't continue to experiment with Transwarp probes and in simulations, but after they were unable to deliver a working prototype for the Galaxy Project either, the Federation Council finally cut off all funding, relegating the project to nothing more than idle speculations.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2014, 09:06 PM   #336
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Just as a matter of point, I have Mr Scott's guide to the Enterprise as a PDF. I was thinking of perhaps adapting some of the screen displays by replacing the Connie with the Excelsior just to add a bit of 'illustration' to this? If anyone has any suggestions of illustrations that they would like to go along with this guide, I'd be happy to create them. Some suggestions please?
Old October 8 2014, 10:26 PM   #337
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

The transwarp project, from the various sources, seems to be limited to Excelsior, Ingram, and Ti-Ho (Enterprise-A). All with different warp nacelles styles. You have Excelsior with her large nacelles, Ingram with her long but thinner nacelles, and then you have Ti-Ho's cruiser sized engines.

Excelsior's seemed to not work as planned. Ingram's likely didn't work as planned, and Ti-Ho/Enterprise has computer issues followed by a mission to Nimbus III (Scotty says it has fine engines) Perhaps they took out the tranwarp drive on Enterprise, but didn't rework the computers. Then again, it did make a run for the center of the galaxy. Though it couldn't have been all that much faster than standard since the Bird of Prey was able to follow it.

Either transwarp just did not work, did not work as intended, or simply redefined how warp worked, but didn't make ships have a faster top speed...just a higher cruising speed.

The old Warp Factor 14.1 was still pretty fast by TNG chart standards. If USS Voyager could have sustained the old USS Enterprise's speed record, she would be able to get back to Earth in something like 26 years. Voyager is suppose to be faster than that, but can't seem to maintian warp 9.975 (Warp factor 14.1 is around warp 9.9). Excelsior may or may not be able to handle that, though the old DC comics had Excelsior manage I think up to Warp Factor 20 while under the temporary command of Admiral Kirk. If USS Voyager could do that full time, they'd be home within 10 years.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2014, 07:12 PM   #338
JES
Captain

Well, there are a number of things to consider that could've impaired the Voyager from cruising as such a speed:
Fuel consumption and the need to find places to refuel
Maintenance and propulsion downtime
Damage sustained from the Caretaker's Array

I think that energy was a constant shadow over their heads, because they rationed out the use of the Replicators and Holodeck use.

Even then, the Voyager still managed to make it home in 23 years in the alternate (or original) Endgame timeline, even without using a Transwarp Conduit.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote