CBS's "Rules of Engagement" for Star Trek Fan Films

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Ian Keldon, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Feel free to add Yorktown's name to that growing list. We have a number of talented people from these fan film groups helping us out on our project, and we are more than happy to lend a hand whenever needed :)

2. Linnear

Linnear Lieutenant Commander

We would be happy to have you!

Alec

3. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

If you make the group official, and you want the word spread (as opposed to it being a 'by invitation only' group) I'll give it a Headline at Star Trek Reviewed with contact information for filmmakers.

4. Linnear

Barb:

We haven't yet discussed HOW we add members, so we will and then get back with you. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Alec

5. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Is there any room for audio dramas in the Association, or is it a film-only thing?

Probably something you haven't discussed as a group yet, but, either way, I'll be watching eagerly!

6. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wish there was some way I could be involved in this -- but I can't really see how anyone else could use an elevated half-size quasi Movie era bridge set. But if you can. let me know!

7. Linnear

Well, I am sure we could add you since YOU asked nice! :)

Email me.

Alec

8. Sumghai

Sumghai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just wondering, how would I contact CBS Legal regarding potential violations of the aforementioned conditions by a "fan" film group asking for donations?

The group in question is the ST: Titan page (http://www.facebook.com/StarTrekTitan?ref=ts&fref=ts), and besides soliciting donations, they are misleading people by using official artwork without attribution and claiming Trek actors support them.

9. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I would just leave it alone, Sumghai. I'm quite sure that CBS Legal knows about it by now.

10. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

wow...uh....you're welcome. I just consider it common courtesy, and have shared the same info privately whenever asked.

And CA is correct. CBS legal is well aware of "Titan"...just as they are aware of Farragut's "donate" button on their website, Farragut's partnership with apparent "investment" individuals (which implies a profit to share), Excalibur's and Origins "Star Trek" t-shirts, the "Official" Star Trek Continues FB page - all violations, and, of course, "Star Trek Renegades": who imply they are going to be a new Trek TV series AND are running a "Kickstarter" campaign for the pilot episode - which is an immediate violation of the ground rules for Trek fanfilms, and....well, let's say everyone can assume that if it's out there then CBS legal is aware of it.

How, when, and what CBS's planned responses are to each "violation" they see is entirely up to them and not open to our scrutiny...just as the "why" for each response, even if it's "we'll ignore that" or "we'll leave them alone for now until...". It's their property and it's their choice.

Basically, I understand people feeling ownership of the franchise we love so much, and I understand the desire to want to protect that franchise from people "breaking the rules"...but CBS is really the ONLY ones that have the legal right to those feelings and if they chose to act or not act we really don't have a right to judge them on it. (which we seem to do all the time...whether it's "why are you ignoring these people?!" or "why are you picking on this group?!) For me, I know it's their baby and I am going to leave the care options up to them.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

... and another fan film who has Paypal on there site and an Indiegogo campaign... glass houses and all...

12. PattyW

Tom, it's a little childish and inflamatory to make vague accusations - especially for no purpose at all. As I said, CBS knows about everything everyone is doing.

I know you can't be speaking of Phase II, who (as mentioned in my original post) has "donate to pay our server costs" and "donate to help pay the rent" type of paypal buttons, which are exactly the "specific items" buttons that CBS requires for donations, and who ran a small, short Indiegogo campaign for specific costs for our fall shoot: which were detailed to CBS before such campaign ran. We may run more such campaigns in the future as well...and, just like last time, it will be for specific costs that CBS knows about - NOT to fund an entire episode or an entire "production" which is NOT allowed by CBS. (which makes Kickstarter an automatic no-no, as KS ONLY allows funding of "entire projects".) As always, CBS will approve whatever we do AHEAD of time so we know they aren't going to come after us AFTER we've accomplished a goal it turns out they don't approve of. (Like our "Star Trek: Phase II" t-shirts, which they nixed.)

I suggest if you are worried about some fan film being in violation, I suggest you contact that particular film and advise them to clear what they are doing with CBS prior to any nasty contact from CBS themselves.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

No offense Patty but your posts always seem to try to paste other films (especially Farragut an Renegade Studios) in a negative light. I happen to like Phase II very much as is known by a lot of there crew. I'm glad you have been talking to CBS, but we know some people over there as well. Talking to CBS legal does not mean you work for CBS legal.

Every prediction people have told me here over the past 6 years of how CBS will do this and that to us (relating to STOGAM) have not come true. Now we are working on Renegades and I'm hearing what we 'can't do' again , when nobody knows who we are dealing with behind the scenes.

My posts are not meant to offend but i will go on the defensive over projects I'm involved with.

14. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^The last few posts are the sort of public snarkery that I was given to understand NOone wants as it will bring CBS down on ALL the projects due to bad publicity.

15. PattyW

Tom, I mentioned a bunch of other fan films in this post, including ours, and then ended it by saying no one has the right to say anyone should or should not be doing something: that right is CBS's entirely.

No one would debate someone's right to defend their projects, but as there was nothing to defend against you come off as slightly paranoid here. (and as for Farragut, I haven't mentioned them in ANY of my posts in years...if ever.)

The discussion was for people who are NOT in contact with CBS and what their guidelines are...and to" let it go" when these guidelines are apparently broken....

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm.

17. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

I honestly think this thread and the Titan thread need to be locked down, nothing good has been coming from them lately just people causing bad blood between each other.

18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

People need to not engage in mudslinging so much and need to stop sowing discontent. I'm watching this thread carefully....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I don't get the finger-pointing here. The subject is what CBS does and doesn't tolerate re fan productions, and all of the information presented thus far could have been done so much more cleanly. One merely needs to say "you can't do this", and not add the pointless "like film X does."

20. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore