Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. benmrii

benmrii Ensign Newbie

Enjoying the most recent movies I realized that I had only seen a smattering of the other movies and a few episodes of TNG. Had a desire to watch all Star Trek so I've been working my way through TOS (just finished Friday's Child) and I think I'm hooked!

When I had questions or wanted to know more about shows I would often find myself here. For example, I recently wondered where Uhura was in The Doomsday Machine and came across this thread... which then started me down a fun 30 minute path of other questions and discussions - repeating actors, whether or not TOS is an ensemble show, etc. - and I figured I should join up. :)

I would be curious if anyone could point me in the direction of a discussion here about the best way to watch all of Stark Trek, something I haven't been able to find on my own. Aside from starting with Where No Man Has Gone Before and skipping The Cage - both suggested in a blog post I came across - I've just been watching TOS in the order Netflix has them laid out.

In any case, thanks! Look forward to participating here.

2. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hi benmrii - welcome to TrekBBS :)

3. LilyThompson

LilyThompson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

High-schooler. I've watched all TOS and ST:I-VI. Haven't yet started on spin-offs, but like what I see of TNG. I am constantly talking about Star Trek but no one else seems to share my feelings or obsession. So glad I found here! You have all made me feel like I belong somewhere.:hugegrin:

4. kirsten187

Hi LilyThompson :)

5. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi, new to the forum. I've been a star trek fan since I was about 5 years old, so nearly 30 years now. Love all the trek series with TNG & DS9 being my favorite. Just been re-watching Enterprise, didn't appreciate how good it was first time round!

6. kirsten187

Ooh, another person in Scotland - Hi Viper78.

7. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi Kirsten187, good to see a fellow Scot on the forum!

8. TheMightyQ

TheMightyQ Ensign Red Shirt

Hi there-(Kind of) new here (been poking my head into threads once in a while but haven't formally introduced myself).

I'm Q, but you can call me Supreme Overlord of Everything.

Or Nick, either works.

Discovered Trek when my dad was watching it on TV a loooong time ago...Watched a fair amount of TOS, forgot about it, then started watching TNG reruns on TV-After a few years I had somehow watched almost every TNG episode.

Didn't even know there were more Trek series until about 7 months ago-Then I found DS9, ENT, and VOY and watched them all in like 3-4 months.

Mostly a TNG fan and a loyal Picard worshipper (does Kirk know how to do anything other than blow stuff up?).

So yeah...Hi, I'm Q. :)

9. kirsten187

You're Q and a Picard worshipper? Hmm, something seems wrong with that! :D

10. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Hi All!

Long time Trek fan! Grew up at my Grandparents place, they never got many channels, except one that often played TNG and some TOS.
    Started really exploring the world of StarTrek early in High School. Played a few web based games.
    Collected all the movies, though now I am trying to collect them all again on Blue-Ray lol. Working on all the TV series as well.
    Also recently addicted to StarTrek Online!
    Been looking for a good forum to connect with other fans!
    Thanks for allowing me in :)

11. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello all!

I'm new here but I've been a Star Trek fan for basically my whole life. My dad and my godfather are big fans and so when dad watched it on TV I was right there with him. My godfather has the entire TNG series on collector's edition vhs so I watched those every summer. I've been working my way through all of TOS and I'm not sure if I've seen them all or not yet, but I'm trying! TNG is my absolute favorite, so of course Picard is the best captain in my eyes but Kirk is coming in at a close second. My nickname has been Captain among my friends for the past few years so that's why I chose it as my username, and Q is also one of my favorite characters. I could go on about everything I love about Star Trek but this is just an intro thread so I'll talk about that somewhere else! I look foreword to talking about all things Trek!

12. Comet

Comet Ensign Newbie

My name is Comet, my fiancé is Captrek. I used to watch the first original series growing up in Mexico City, dubbed in Spanish. My brother and sisters also watched Lost in Space. At that time we only had a black and white TV, my dad bought us a plastic sheet special for TVs, so we had the impression of color, people's faces were green and sometimes red, but it is how we watched programs about the future.

Part of our culture was watching Luchas Libres wrestling with famous guys with masks. We also watched bullfights, Toreros or matadors stabbed the bulls until they died and then they cut of their tail and ears as souvenirs. I guess that is one of the reasons I do not eat meat any more. :(

13. kirsten187

Welcome to TrekBBS :)

14. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Hi everyone,

I have finally decided to sign up to The Trek BBS, having lurked here for about 5 years or so. I have managed to get a degree and start a masters while lurking these forums and I figured it is time to finally sign up and contribute.

A little about me: 25 years old, from Scotland. Im a huge Trekkie, having a large Trek collection [every series on DVD, collecting the Blu-Ray releases] and been a fan for over a decade. I love it all....except JJ's 'Trek'.

Im looking forward to 'meeting' some of you and contributing often, sharing my thoughts on this wonderful franchise.

15. kirsten187

Hi TheGoodStuff - welcome to TrekBBS

16. Okamika

Okamika Cadet Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Okamika here... I'm a long time Trek fan and started watching it when I was a kid, I think Kirk was my first crush :) I'm a sci fi fan in general; books, TV shows and films, I occassionally turn up at UK conventions. I don't really know many sci fi fans, certainly not Trek fans - I found the TrekBBS by googling for a fan forum to have conversations with like minded folk that know what a Jeffries Tube is :)

I like most of the franchise... even the JJ Abrams movies, although I can't watch Enterprise without expecting Archer to say 'Oh boy'...

Okamika

17. kirsten187

Hi Okamika - welcome to the forum.

18. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome to the board, Okamika!

I followed the same trail as you to get here. Make yourself comfortable and have a look around. Be sure to check the lounge. You can meet fellow newcomers and play games. I had a lot of fun when I was there.

Were you at Star Trek London, by any chance?

19. Okamika

Okamika Cadet Newbie

Hi Alienesse, thank you for the Lounge advice!

I wasn't at Star Trek London, sadly, but I was at Redemption earlier this year and will probably be heading to Novacon :)

20. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, sounds good. Well, it's great that you're located in the UK. It's easier to get to all the cool events.:)