Books on Talaxians and Ferengi

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Johnhead99, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

These are hands down my 2 favorite races. It's too bad I am having a tough time finding material on them. So far, this is what I found.

Ferengi book about rules of aquisition(sp?) -- Garbage but serves a purpose

Legends of the Ferengi -- Decent

23rd rule (or whatever rule it was) -- Above average.

And then nothing on Talaxians. I would love a book on Neelix -- relaunch or not. Maybe his history before on Voyager. I dont care.

Or, just the Talaxian homeworld in general.

So, anyone have any I miss or any good suggestions? I am reading Ent: What Price Honor right now and I really need to get back to some based on other species. Thanks.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The novel you were thinking of is The 34th Rule, and it was coauthored by David R. George III and Armin Shimerman, the latter being the guy who played Quark.

I also recommend Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Volume 3, which contains two short novels, one of which is a Ferenginar tale by me called Satisfaction is Not Guaranteed.

In addition, David A. McIntee will have a novella in next year's Seven Deadly Sins entitled "Reservoir Ferengi." That'll be out in August. :)

3. Johnhead99

I just finished Worlds of Star Trek: Volume 2. I learned alot about Trill and I thought the book was amazing. I have Volume 3 and I am so stoked you have a short novel in there. I am going to go start that right now. As for Seven Deadly Sins, I am going to pre-order that now. Ferengi are hands down my favorite race. The Ferengi in DS9 were very well written.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Neelix's backstory is told, along with those of most of the other VGR regulars, in Jeri Taylor's novel Pathways.

5. Johnhead99

How about his life post VOY returning to San Fran? He has been maybe mentioned twice in Golden's relaunch. Maybe a short story on his life with his new family and an update on whats going on in the Delta Quandrant. Maybe he can report on the Hirogen, or Kazon, or Ocampa, or whatever.

Final idea is to ignore Neelix all together, create a whole new Talaxian, and work him/her into a new story based during the whole war that was mentioned. There was an episode where a Dr was onboard VOY and tried to get a family member back. I always liked that story line and wanted to learn more. Since there is little established with it, you could probably be quite creative.

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Do not post story ideas here.

7. Johnhead99

OK. I was just rambling. The original questions was a list of books containing these races. So far, I have gotten about 2 suggestions. Any more would be great.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

If there were any more, we'd have told you by now. There haven't really been any Talaxian-heavy licensed fiction. Just some Neelix backstory in "Pathways".

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm amazed Keith hasn't mentioned it but there's also a S.C.E./CoE eBook largely set on Ferenginar:

Buying Time by Robert Greenberger (reprinted in the TPB Aftermath)

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

there's also the Ferengi-heavy "Caveat Emptor"

11. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I personally thought The 34th Rule was not above average, but excellent. In regards to other stories, not a whole lot as others have noted.

12. Johnhead99

Thank you all very much. I should have some material to keep me covered now for the next few months.

Caveat Emptor is not an easy book to find btw...

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's because it's an e-book. It's in the printed omnibus No Surrender

14. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

Which is bizarrely hard to find. All the other MMPB SCE books were a couple of quid new on Amazon Marketplace, but No Surrender was like £20 second hand. Fortunately I managed to find one for a reasonable price on Ebay.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Bloody hell, you mean I don't even have to hijack the thread to plug that myself?!

Cool!

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Novella? I thought Seven Deadly Sins was going to be a short story collection.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the size the trade paperbacks Pocket usually releases, I'd expect the seven stories to be short novellas or else longer novelletes; much the same way that S.C.E. compilations have about six-seven stories per book.

Correction: Six to eight.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

A typical trade paperback these days contains either three short novels or around a dozen short stories/novelettes. That's 120-150,000 words, give or take. Divide that by seven and you get around 17-20,000 words each, and the novella range is 17,500-40,000.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If David A. McIntee's story is any indication they have a length of about 20000 words.

20. Johnhead99

This was good to know. I checked Ebay and the cheapest was $20+ shipping. I went to Amazon and there was a used one for $2+ shipping and the rest were $20 minimum. So, I snatched it up.