Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 1001001, Mar 14, 2006.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, right, I forgot to introduce myself.

I'm a senior at Earlham College, finishing up my Bachelor Degree in Physics & Astronomy, which is a misnomer because there isn't any Astronomy involved in the major! After I graduate, I'm going to panic and try to figure out what to do with my life. Possibly the Peace Corps. Interesting turn of events, I know. :p

2. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

A lifelong interest in human spaceflight and aerospace eningeering.

3. Naraht

Naraht Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Greetings all! It's great to finally have this forum... I think we owe special thanks to FatherRob for suggesting it.

I'm a historian and not a scientist, but I've been fascinated by space and astronomy ever since I was small. Seeing Apollo 13 reawakened that interest for me.

I wrote my undergraduate thesis on "The Rhetorical Meanings of the Apollo Program" and hope to continue doing research on the history of the space program. My main interest is in the social and cultural history of the American space program between 1958 and 1970. I'm very interested in the people who came together to form NASA, how they got where they did, how the organizational culture of NASA developed, and so on. And I hero-worship quite a few mission controllers! :)

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

:lol:

You can't go wrong with a good Austin Powers quote...

:thumbsup:

5. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

^Which was why I didn't correct it. ;)

6. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I went 3 out of 5 years (co-op program) at Northeastern University. I started in Criminal Justice and switched to Mechanical Engineering after the first semester since I didn't like the stuff the "humanities" were teaching. Plus I needed more meat and potatoes. :D

I co-oped at a defense contractor in the early 80's and worked on what would be later referred to as the "Star Wars" plan advanced by President Reagan. But we knew it as the HOE program. Thats also when I bought my first REAL calculator, a programmable TI. I needed it to calculate the MOI of the unit we were making. It was tedious but kind of fun. When they finally did a physical test, my theoretical result differed by only .01%. In the scheme of things it really doesn't matter, but I was happy with myself. :D

Despite working 3 jobs I just couldn't stay in school and left near the end of my 3rd year.

So I don't have a degree but I still have a lot of engineering books from the early 80's! :D

Yeah, I'm normally not this long winded. Sorry.

7. Kaitz

Kaitz Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a sophomore biology major at a small, liberal arts college, aiming for my BA and perhaps graduate school in biology. This summer I'm going to be interning at a major research hospital in Ohio, performing research regarding the development of stem cells into insulin-producing beta cells. I'm interested chiefly in cellular and molecular biology but also evolution and many other areas that I have yet to formally explore.

And space science is incredibly cool. Go NASA. ;)

8. Ohappydagger

Ohappydagger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi. I'm a science geek too... got a BS in wildlife biology, working on a second BS in nursing... I like squishy squirmy sciences such as zoology, ecology, and physiology. I've worked as a medical lab tech and an agricultural entomology lab tech, but I have since quit all that to pursue my nursing training full-time. I look forward to nerding around with you goobers here in our special new forum. :p

9. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

electronic engineering, but, I nearly failed. I kept falling asleep evertime someone put a schematic in front of me.

But, I do love to watch the Science Channel!

10. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I've always had in interest in space and the technology of the shuttles. I also like to read up on the newest gadgets that are coming out; wishing that I was good at inventing things. Although I did take apart my Razr cell phone without the proper tools and put it back together in working order. I just had to see what was in such a small case. :lol:

11. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

^^They're called 'pluck and chuck' cards.

12. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I've loved science (especially astronomy) and science fiction ever since I can remember.

This board now has EVERYTHING. :thumbsup:

13. leandar

leandar Vice Admiral Admiral

Serious astronomy hobbyist. I've been fascinated with astronomy, especially planetary astronomy, since first studying the planets in the second grade. And that was 1979-80 or so. I just bought a 5-disc DVD set about NASA exploration and history and such so that's gonna be fun to watch.

14. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got a bachelors degree in Computer Engineering with a minor in Computer Science. I realized in my senior year that I could get the minor by only taking a single extra course, so I figured it couldn't hurt!

After I graduated, I decided not to follow engineering as a profession, but I'm still really interested in the lastest computer tech not to mention science in general. I'm also really interested in the way technology is used, especially in relation to politics... so I expect to be doing quite a bit of complaining about digital rights management in this forum! :lol:

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

No degrees - I'm still somewhere in limbo on getting an Associate's degree in Computer Technology, decades after I started my college journey in fine arts (and actually came to computers because of art!)

My scientific background is pretty much all self-absorbed, besides the requisite courses in school, which I always loved. I read several of the science-related magazines (man, I miss the old Omni magazine!), watch a number of the shows on channels like Discovery, TLC, even History. Science is just something in my core ;). Oh, and my PC runs SETI@home when I'm not horsing around on the TrekBBS :D.

16. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I'll probably drop in to see waht new gadgets are available that I'll never be able to afford. I find science fascinating when I'm exposed to it, but my degree is in Philosophy, which is kinda like theoretical science in a way. I also work in the Molecular Biology & Genetics department at Hopkins. For those who know what it means, the two researchers I work for specialize in Drosophila genetics, specifically cell-cell fusion and the Hippo signalling pathway. I'm going to have to copy edit a textbook on the former in the next several months, so I'm planning on doing a quick review of the basics so I have some idea of the terminology and context.

This forum is a great idea! I expect to learn much from you sciece types. :D

17. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Almost lifelong fascination with astronomy - every project I did in primary school was space-related. Would have liked to have made a career out of it but physics and I didn't get along (I think I'd do better at it now, actually). My degree is in agricultural science, with emphasis on the "science" - I found anatomy, physiology, genetics and microbiology especially intriguing. I often tinker with my computer (which is perhaps why I have so many hassles with it :D) and if I get another I'll probably build it myself. Have been into SF for about as long as I can remember. And I like electronic gadgets. I have too many.

That'll do for starters. Looking forward to reading and learning here. :D

18. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just a science junkie looking for a fix....you gotta hook me up, man! You gotta!

:)

I never went to college, and the only science/technology qualifications I have are a measly O'level (Older Brits will know what I mean) in biology, and an IT qualification that 90% of the world also has...lol.

My science passion is physics - not that I ever did physics at school, as my mathematical skills are like those of stunned badger....but damn, physics fascinates me.

Current slack-jawed wonderment thought process:
    The space elevator concept.

Yummy.

19. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

OK, where do I start?

- MSc Management Science with Computer Science.
    - BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Computer Science.

I do tech support for family and a few of my friends *cough*Cali*cough*...

Yup, I'm a tech-head. :D

20. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a degree, but it has nothing to do with science. I just love tech and sciences. This is gonna be great forum.