"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

This movie hits Australia early on April 24. Early reviews are already starting to appear online.

I remember starting the discussion topic for the first movie so many years ago, and being pleasantry surprised at how well it turned out. Robert Downey Jr was a real find and the movie was instrumental at starting the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe. Everyone now is looking forward to seeing how Phase 2 goes after Phase 1 was concluded with Avengers last year. I hope this movie will be awesome!

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm going to see it this weekend on IMAX in Japan. I can't wait! :D

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Going to see the midnight showing tomorrow night, can't wait!

4. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm seeing it sometime today. :D

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

7. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

As I said earlier - saw it earlier today. Loved it. Kinder forgot about it, until biggles posted something on facebook kinder about it. Anyways, I thought it was better than the first movie.

There is one - I won't say anything about it

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I loved IM3. There are a few things I think die-hard Iron Man fans might get pissed about, but it's a solid flick. Good action, very funny, exciting, surprising...and an awesome end credits sequence. I felt a bit like dancing. :)

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The Mandarin stole every scene he was in!

10. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really wish Adi Granov was available to work with Phil Saunders on the armors like in IM and IM2. IM3's armor looks like attempts at Halo and Gundam aesthetics, and it's disappointingly generic in comparison.

11. trekkiebaggio

Saw it last night, man that was awesome.

Here is my full review (both a non-spoiler and a spoiler one).

That's a basic summation of my feelings. I was very impressed. There were a few things I didn't see coming at all and I thought the climactic battle was superb.

One weird thing about the showing I went to - it was midnight and it was pretty busy, but presumably if you go to a midnight showing of a film you're a pretty big fan so you'd be aware that at the end of Marvel films there's a scene after the credits. Yet so many people left right as the film ended :confused:

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a fine, entertaining movie, with some solid acting from pretty much everyone.

Iron Man 3 is a strange movie, though, a Frankenstein monster which seems to be made of the best parts of several different action films which don't quite fit together: superhero movies, spy movies, buddy cop movies, comedies, and I think it's only through the magic of Robert Downey Jr. performance that the whole thing holds together.

13. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Oh, I can explain it....the gimmick is stale. It was novel in the first Iron Man, still had some life in it by the second movie. But by the time Thor rolled around people were getting tired of having to sit all the way through long credit sequences. And why should they when they can just watch it on YouTube. I know I did.

While Green Lantern was a clusterfuck, the one thing they did right was showing their stinger about a quarter of the way into the final credits.....as did Avengers with the Thanos reveal. I figured that even Marvel understood that as time passed, the willingness to sit through the entire credits just to see 30 seconds, would decrease with even the hard core audience.

They need to just go the GL and Avengers route in the future.

14. trekkiebaggio

I guess, although I figure if you're willing to stay up til 230ish you can wait an extra few minutes.

I do agree it was frustrating that it was all the way at the end. To me it makes sense to put it after the animated bit of the credits.

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

These little vignettes are not essential to the story. They're a little extra for those who are dedicated enough to watch the whole credits. If you're patient, you get a little something in return, if you're not, no big deal. Those who feel that the incentive for being patient should come SOONER don't quite get it.

16. trekkiebaggio

So to discuss a couple of points of the movie -

What did people think of the fact that The Mandarin wasn't actually The Mandarin? It through me for a curveball, I really didn't see it coming. I thought it worked really well though.

Another thing I really liked was how Pepper saved Tony in the end. Was a nice difference to the usual damsel in distress scenario.

One of the funniest bits was finding out Rhodey's password :lol:

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die! :D

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I loved the first one and was very disappointed in the second. I had great hopes for this when Shane Black on board, and I'm pleased to say that they were realised.

While this movie had as many potential pitfalls as 2 - large supporting cast, second chap in metal suit, the novelty wearing off, RDJ out of the suit for large periods of time - Black and his co-writer Drew Pearce held it together a lot better than did Favreau and Justin Theroux.

Guy Pearce's character could have been a clone of Sam Rockwell's but while I like Rockwell, he didn't work for me in IM2; Pearce, however, was great fun, despite his initial somewhat OTT appearance. Former 24 alumni James Badge Dale did a lot of good stuff with a character who somehow ought to have been less memorable than he was, if you know what I mean! The Mandarin's depiction will alienate as many viewers as entertain but I thought Kingsley's performance was brilliant and ticked all the boxes it was meant to tick.

Black's decision to take Stark out of the suit(s) for so long worked well, as he knows how to get a great performance from his leading man and really mine his charm (exhibit A - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). The movie had definite Lethal Weapon/ Last Boy Scout vibes at time. Black's comments that it would be like a Tom Clancy political thriller weren't too far off the mark, though it reminded me of a more fantastic 24 at times - not just the Dale involvement but the climactic scenes too.

I've no hesitation in voting Excellent.

19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Well it depends on their schedules, most people work day shift schedules so I'm sure they're ready to go home. Plus, the end credits on a blockbuster are much longer these days and even I don't have the patience to sit through them any longer. Especially not for 30 seconds of fluff. For Iron Man, yeah, because it basically said "the Avengers are coming" but the "shwarma" thing? No.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Think it's my favourite of the three, I'll have to see it again to be sure, though I am sure that Ben Kingsley stole the show.