The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know, all the time that old lady was on screen I kept anticipating that they'd reveal her as a known character from the old series. The presence of the Sky Bisons more or less convinced me, but nothing came of it.

How freaky and cool would it have been if she had turned out to be an elderly, reformed and no longer batshit crazy Azula? :evil:

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

There's still time...

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That would actually be pretty cool. Lots of time has passed; people can change.

4. Peach Wookiee

I'll be glad when they show Zuko and his daughter. I wonder if he looks more like his Uncle Iroh...

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I always thought he was supposed to resemble his father. I assumed that this and his disappointment with Zuko was the real reason he disfigured his face.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would have assumed Zuko would have more of his mother's features.

7. Peach Wookiee

I've read some of "The Search" and...

I somehow doubt he's illegit, and suspect that Ursa was slipping in her own sanity thanks to depression when she wrote that letter. That or she was trying to get out of the marriage. But if somehow Zuko isn't Ozai's, then I can see Iroh claiming Zuko as his own.

All that being said, sometimes siblings look like different family members. It'd be fun if Zuko bore some resemblance to the man who truly acted like a father to him.

8. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed that episode. Nice to finally see Unalaq's motives.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

"The Guide"...

I liked it too. We got some answers to Jinora being called to the avatar carving and subsequent vision. She has the ability to slip into the state necessary to connect with the more subtle spirit world, something that can help Korra. I was also pretty amused by Tenzin and Korra's early attempts at meditation, complete with all the tinkering around and getting nowhere that often plagues those who don't know what they're doing. The only thing I didn't quite like about the episode was the constant cuts to the Mako/Varrick stuff. It felt a bit jarring when played against the spiritual quest.

The season is picking up and once again I'm excited for more.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Nice to see Jinora being so important to the plot now!

I was disappointed that the Unaloq / Dark Spirit connection was revealed so matter of factly to us. I would have liked a more shocking revelation, even though most of us guessed it last episode.

11. Agent Richard07

^ It's still yet to be seen if this "dark avatar" bit will come to pass.

Also, I just read that Book 2 will end this month.

Nov. 8: Episode 10
    Nov. 15: Episodes 11 & 12 as a one-hour block
    Nov. 22: Episodes 13 & 14 as a one-hour block

Source

12. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope that those two episode bundle nights are because they're two part episodes or thematically related and not because the network is burning off the remainder of the season due to poor ratings.

13. Peach Wookiee

I hope that's not the case. This is a good series!

14. SG-17

This was also the last episode animated by Studio Pierrot, Studio Mir is doing the rest of the season and Book 3.

For reference it was Mir for all of Book 1 and the Beginnings two-parter.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That is disconcerting... but haven't they already ordered production of Books Three and Four?????

16. Agent Richard07

The episodes have different titles so they probably aren't two-parters, but given the serialized nature of the show, I'm sure they'll blend together. And yeah, my first thought was that they're burning off the episodes due to ratings.

17. SG-17

If I remember correctly, Book 3 has already been written, voiced, and storyboarded.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They're not titled as 2-parters, but they might be thematically related. Episode 10 is "A New Spiritual Age," 11 is "Night of a Thousand Stars," 12 is "Harmonic Convergence, 13 is "Darkness Falls," and 14 is "Light in the Dark."

And as I've mentioned before, reportedly the online viewings and iTunes purchases are still doing very well even if the on-air ratings are disappointing. Still, it's possible they're packaging the last four as hourlong specials so they can make a big deal out of promoting them and try to boost ratings that way.

Those were ordered back in 2012. They've already done voice recordings for Book 3 and were in the process of recording Book 4 as of the latest update a few weeks ago at New York Comic-Con.

19. Peach Wookiee

That's a relief. Judging by the titles of episodes 13 and 14, it'll have to deal with Raava and Vaatu having their face-off.

I love seeing Jinora as the spiritual leader in this. I feel bad for Tenzin. He had so much pressure on him from the beginning. I'm sure Aang didn't intend to do it, but he pushed his younger boy too hard. And now Tenzin feels like a failure. Parents put pressure on their kids without intending to. I'm also sure that Aang would be heartbroken to know that he caused damage to his kids.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

And through Korra, Aang could actually find out what happened to his kids.

Actually, his kids could talk to him if he "possessed" Korra, couldn't they? Interesting twist about having your father be the avatar, they should totally do that.