Just finished re-watching of DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Jaro Stun, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

Now I've just finished another round of DS9 rewatch. The second from the original run.

It took me almost 2 years to get there, but it was a great ride.

Watching the final montages and all it just left me sad, with a tear in the eye, remembering how great a show DS9 was. And a pitty that it is unlikely there will be another like it.

At least a small comfort...I may wait another few years, but the DVDs are well on their place and definitely there will be 3rd round, somewhere down the line...

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Terrific show. Much of the first season doesn't do it for me, but starting with "Duet" the series becomes one of my favorites ever to say the least. Love it.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Am I the only one who likes "Move Along Home"? There must be another!

4. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Nope. You are the only one.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

ALLAMARAINE! Third Shap... :techman:

6. Quinton O'Connor

Well, don't worry. I'm about to eat my words a little in another thread, anyway...

7. Willieck

Willieck Commander Red Shirt

I have said elsewhere that the timing of this episode was completely wrong. It was too near the beginning of the series when they were still setting the standard. If it had occurred say half way through the third season we would probably just have considered it to be another fun episode and laughed (a bit) and passed on. It does have its moments though. I quite like it when Quark is on his knees. :lol:

8. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's OK. DS9 has far worse episodes.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a weirdly fond place in my heart for it. :D

10. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

"Move Along Home" had its moments (Odo and the Starfleet guy sparring, Quark on his knees), but the Wadi were, without a doubt, the lamest. aliens. EVER! I'll repeat what I said in another thread: Games, mullets, sticks. LAME! Not to mention that damn rhyme getting stuck in my head ...

11. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is more true than you might realize. When it originally aired, it was at a time when DS9 had some solo time while TNG was in March re-runs. This is coming off a very strong Feb Sweeps from TNG (Ship In A Bottle, Face Of The Enemy, Tapestry, Birthright ...er, and Aquiel), whereas DS9, though strong out of the gate, wasn't able to hold its own in February.

So, if ever there was a time for DS9 to make a stand and strut its stuff, the March episodes would have been it. Instead, we got Move Along Home and The Nagus. Ouch.

12. milatchi

milatchi Ensign Newbie

I'm currently re-watching DS9 too, I'm on season 2. The first season, like TNG's first season, is rough but I'm over the hump now.

13. Quinton O'Connor

Sykonee, the more inside scoop you've got on the timing and ratings and reactions of episodes from those days, the more I'll read. I love these looks back at when a show originally aired, and unfortunately I wasn't even in kindergarten at that point.

You should see me on GateWorld. I used to ramble on about the off-screen nature of SG-1 daily.

14. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, heh. Then check out my DS9 Versus thread in this very forum. It's a week-by-week comparison of the show against its main competitors of the time: TNG, B5, and VOY. So far I've reached the end of Season 6.

15. Quinton O'Connor

Oh! I'll start reading that, then.

16. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I liked it. Could have been a TOS or TNG script, but that's what I liked about it.

17. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love "Move Along Home" and mostly for that last line "It's only a game" and I can't help but wonder if the game was Television it's self.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I liked it too. not a great episode, but good.

For a great first season episode, I refer you to "Babel". An original concept for a plague episode.

19. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I've loved DS9 from the start.The whole concept was well done, and if you watch the series, only one character was unchanged at the end: Quark!

But sometimes people got used to the excellent episodes. When an episode was merely good, people growled and snarled. DS9 set a high standard for Trek, and only a few of its parts didn't reach that status.

I'd give you some examples, but there would go the whole thread. People often ask me what my favorite DS9 is. My response is that i85 episodes were excellent and the others were merely good.

20. LOKAI of CHERON

Yes, you've put your finger on it exactly, CaptainStoner. I think I probably like it because it really does remind me of a quirky TOS episode.