Sentry?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, May 4, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Is this a property worthy of the Big screen? By itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentry_(Robert_Reynolds)

Will Sentry just get adsorbed into any Avengers movie franchise???

I am guessing The Sentry will be somehow absorbed with The Avengers...however I think a stand alone film would be pretty cool.

***I am just thinking out loud here so I don't know if there is already stuff set in motion***

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blonde more rugged looking Marvel version of Supes, speaking of Supes, Sentry always reminded me of Nuclear Man from Superman IV, think I may have said that before, or maybe deja vu? I dunno, carry on.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of the Sentry (as currently written), but the character certainly has some movie potential. I have my doubts about its incorporation into an Avengers movie, though.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Sentry/Void could work as a villain for the Avengers movie more than a hero. I always thought his power set was ridiculous. Putting him on a team that would already have Thor is just too much. However I like the design of the character and the idea of him literally being his own worst enemy.

Though I think Marvel has handled his development herky jerky over the years.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I don't think they've done anything interesting with him post-intro arc.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm indifferent on him as of now.
    He has potential but if Marvel Studios ever made a solo movie it would have to have a unique approach to avoid being, and stuck with the idea, of being seen as Superman.

It's probably why we'll never see a Moon Knight movie either sadly, Batman comparisons.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I think a Moon Knight TV series or a Sentry TV series would help...even if they are short lived they would give both properties some kind of ground to work and build some sort of audience outside of comics.

8. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they stay true to the comics i can see it having potential. There's plenty of potential there when you delve into how the world would react if a superhero re-emerged that they couldn't even remember, and how said superhero would react to his every deed being forgotten.
    And then the wonder as the world begins to remember just what Sentry did for them coupled with the terror of the Void returning would certainly make for an interesting story in my book. I just hope if a Sentry movie is made we don't get Superman in yellow spandex.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I think the great thing is we can get a "Superman type" with out him being "SUPERMAN".

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Sentry only works as a supporting character turning into a villain. He's not interesting enough on his own. Kinda like the Hulk.

11. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me and my 400+ Hulk solo comics, solo television series on DVD, cartoons and movies would beg to differ. :p

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Granted they haven't found the magic formula to make the Hulk a cinematic hit yet, though I think that's mainly because the CGI Hulks just come across as too fake, even though the last movie's Hulk was improved.

But in comparison between Hulk and Sentry, Hulk's duality was better explored early on, also the act that made him into the Hulk in the comics made Banner heroic and tragic all at the same time, and made the Hulk a sympathetic character. With Sentry, didn't he just drink a potion, and recently in Siege they made his origin even more dubious. Plus Sentry's greatest enemy is himself, which is cool, but might be hard to really show well on the big or small screen. Banner fought against his Hulk side, but also had some good external enemies. Even Mr. McGee from the TV show was pretty damn dogged.

13. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I just hate the way the Sentry was introduced. "Hai guyz! He's always been here, you just don't remember him." <shudder>

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very Nikki & Paulo-esque

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was a bit grating. Though, I admit it was an interesting twist.

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

When he starts ripping people's heads off the Superman comparisons might stop.

17. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Ares' ripped-in-half corpse agrees with you. :lol:

I don't care for the Sentry, what little I know of him. They tried way too hard and made him too powerful with no interesting characteristics. Well, ok, he's a mentally disturbed junkie that stole a super-soldier serum to get his next high and it somehow turned him into one of the most incredibly powerful beings in Marvel who can have his other "personality" take over and kill everything. But those bits aren't interesting by themselves.

18. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"My Super Ex-Girlfriend" qualifies as that. Careful what you wish for...

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The Sentry is such a dull character. More powers than anyone in the Marvel universe. With no personality. A horrid back story. A bad guy that lives in his head. A really bad yellow costume. No Rogues gallery. All in all not cinema worthy in any respect. Many better Marvel characters are much more deserving.

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would go as far to say that Howard The Duck deserves another big screen chance before Sentry should get a movie.