TOS movie era Novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GalaxyClass1701, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

So far, fom what I've read hear and on my own it appears that although there may be inconsistencies between DC Comics vol. 2 and the TOS novels, there are also major tie-ins between them as well. For example:

1. DC Comics vol.2 uses a Pike era crew that matches up with D.C. Fontana's Vulcan Glory (namely Scotty)
    2. Kirk's Kobayashi Maru test is shown as the same in #73 and in the novel Kobayashi Maru
    3. Howard Weinstein was the second ongoing writer of Vol.2 and continued using Tuchinsky and Saavik as crew members in his Mere Anarchy story.

Were there any other strong links or connections between any novels and DC vol.2

Also, I know that Saavik's backstory was explored in Vol.1 of DC, but was it ever mentioned in Vol.2? If so, how does each presentation compare to Pandora's Principle or Unspoken Truth?

And finally, Peter David and Howard Weinstein were the two ongoing writers of DC Vol.2 Do their respective TOS novels and short stories stay consistent with their stories in the comics?
    The Rift?
    Disinherited?
    Captain's Daughter?
    The Covenant of the Crown?
    Deep Domain?
    The Better Man?
    Official Record?
    Mere Anarchy: Blood Rimmed Tide?

Thanks and have fun,
    jsplinis

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, yeah, Scotty's there, but otherwise I don't think it quite fits, since there are multiple Vulcans in the crew in Vulcan's Glory, while in the comic, the dialogue implies that Spock is the only one and that the crew aren't used to having a Vulcan officer around.

Issue #51 alludes to Saavik being half-Romulan. As I said, all the tie-ins follow Vonda McIntyre's lead on that. I don't think we got any extensive backstory flashbacks, though.

As you say, The Blood-Dimmed Tide does fit pretty well into Howie's post-STV comics continuity, but the others are all in the era between TMP and TWOK, and Covenant and Domain preceded Howie's comics work. I don't think there's any real continuity there, though I can't think of any specific contradictions either.

As for PAD's books, I can't think of any specific cross-references between them and his comics. Unless it's Meyer and Boyajian, the bit players who show up in most of his fiction, usually as security guards in his Trek works. There's a transporter chief "Tooch" in The Rift who was presumably supposed to be Tuchinsky but had her name changed because the tie-ins weren't allowed any continuity at the time.

3. Jsplinis

I was just reading about the Star Trek: Legacy video game that was co-written by DC Fontana. Apparently one of the things it deals with is the Vulcan/ Romulan split which is referred to as the Sundering.

I am curious where this term originated from. Does it come from the TV shows because I don't remember it. Does it come from DC Fontana's other works? Does it come from Diane Duane's Rihannsu stories or does it originate somewhere else? If it does come from Diane Duane's works, does this mean Duane's and Fontana's works coincide on Vulcan/ Romulan history?

Thanks and have fun,
    jsplinis

4. Mirak

Mirak Cadet Newbie

Christopher, thank You very much for reply. Your books and Vanguard series looks absolutely great!

@Therin- Well I'm not looking for totally unscathed list, I simply assumed, that there is at least partially organized list or something resembling the novel universe much like the one for 24th century Trek. And I was asking, because I read some of TOS novels from the 80's which were published in Czech republic in early 90's and most of them were pretty terrible. (as well as first 12 or 13 numbered TNG pocket book series and they were also mostly complete garbage - Roman centurions from Bread and Circuses (I dont know, why would anyone wanted to do a sequel for this episode) as Starfleet officers on Constitution class starship in 24th century or made up powerful alien races which are supposedly major players in alpha quadrant, but just in a single novel and other stuff I hate in tie-in novels)
    So I'd like avoid this type of novels as much as possible. But I think that for now, Vanguard novels are exactly what I was looking for.

5. Mirak

Mirak Cadet Newbie

I don't think so. It's also term used for example in Warhammer universe, but instead of Vulcan/Romulan it deals with Elves/Dark Elves.

No, not similar at all :)

6. Christopher

It's not from the shows. I believe Duane originated it, though it may have come from fan fiction. And no, using the same word doesn't necessarily mean the continuity is the same; it's just an homage. "Sundering" seems to be a fairly common word in fantasy fiction; in addition to the Warhammer reference mentioned above, there's a Jacqueline Carey fantasy duology called The Sundering (and an SF novel of the same name by Walter Jon Williams). Like most things in high fantasy, it originates in Tolkien, which contains references to "the Sundering of the North" and "the Sundering Seas." "Sunder" is simply an old-fashioned English word meaning to split, separate, or divide (as in the Biblical "let not man put asunder" -- it's also related to "sundry," meaning various or diverse).

Duane has written a lot of fantasy, so she probably introduced the term "Sundering" into Trek, and others followed her lead.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When first publicized, the alien felinoids in "The Captains' Honor", the M'doc, were the kzinti from "The Slaver Weapon".

8. Jsplinis

Was just wondering what your opinions might be about Kirk's rank in the Five Year Mission after TMP. I've noticed some novels and comics have him as a Captain and some have him as an Admiral. Which do you think it should be?

Some examples are Marvel's ongoing and Untold Voyages have him as a Captain, while DC vol.1 #19 and IDW's Star Trek: Infestation have him as an Admiral.

Also, it's not always consistent amongst an individual writer's works. For example, Howard Weinstein's Covenant of the Crown and Better Man have the Captain's rank but Deep Domain which was written between has the Admiral's rank.

Thanks and have fun,
    Jsplinis

9. Christopher

Strictly speaking, if he's the commander of the ship, he should be addressed as "Captain" regardless of his rank -- although this has rarely been acknowledged in onscreen Trek. However, in TMP, once he changed out of his dress uniform into a standard duty uniform, he had captain's braid on his sleeves. In Ex Machina I interpreted his demotion as the price Nogura exacted in exchange for giving him the Enterprise back.

10. Jsplinis

Thanks Chris. I always appreciate your well informed answers and insights.

Why do you think that he is addressed as Admiral in Deep Domain. I read this when it came out many moons ago, but I seem to recall that this was the final mission of the Second Five Year Mission. Would he have been given his Admiral Rank back because he's about to assume desk duties again? Was any of this addressed in the book?

11. Christopher

^As you said, there was no consensus at the time on whether he was a captain or an admiral in that period. Maybe Howie made him an admiral in Deep Domain because the editor at the time felt he should be.

12. Jsplinis

I've got a few more questions for my Extended DC vol.2 timeline I'm building.

1. Michael J Feilding wasn't a regular writer for DC Vol.2 but he did contribute a few stories and was the regular writer of the TNG sister title. How well do his novels correspond to DC Vol. 2 continuity? They would be Legacy, My Brother's Keeper trilogy, Double Double, Faces of Fire, and Shadows on the Sun? Does My Brother's Keeper stay consistent with Kirks back story in "Starfleet Academy" or "Star Crossed"?

2. I read that Legacy has connections with Vulcan's Glory. To what extent and in what form?

3. Christopher mentioned that his novel Forgotten History depicts the end of the 5-Year-Mission. How does this correspond with the version in "Star Crossed"

Thanks and have fun,
    Jsplinis

13. Christopher

His name is Michael Jan Friedman. And no, his novels did not acknowledge comics continuity.

The novel contains flashbacks to Spock's time under Pike's command. It reuses some of the crewmembers introduced in VG.

It does not. At this point there are, as far as I know, seven distinct versions of that event: The Lost Years, DC's Vol. 1 Annual 2, "Star-Crossed," my Ex Machina/Forgotten History version, the Crucible trilogy, a Strange New Worlds story, and IDW's Mission's End miniseries. My own is extrapolated from Icheb's report in VGR: "Q2" stating that Kirk saved the Pelosians from extinction (in a way that played fast and loose with the Prime Directive) shortly before the end of the mission. I interpreted it to be the very last adventure of the 5YM, though I've since recognized that Icheb's line doesn't unambiguously require that.

14. Jsplinis

Chris,
    Sorry about mistyping the name. I know his correct name but haven't had a lot of sleep lately.

Do you remember which characters were shared between Vulcan's Glory and Legacy? I thought the chief engineer was interesting and would like to read more about her.

As for the rest, thanks for the info as always.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just checked my notes (I used to have a Pike website, which might be out on the Internet still if I could remember what the host was), and I don't think there are any shared (non-canonical) characters between Legacy and Vulcan's Glory. The flashes of the Pike era in Legacy are really brief.

Caitlin Barry, chief engineer in Vulcan's Glory, does, however, reappear in The Rift, the beginning of which is set in the Pike era.

EDIT: Ah, it does still exist: http://origin.0catch.com/chrispike/ There's some conjectures there I wouldn't stand by anymore, not to mention some outright errors, and it's hugely out of date, but there you go.