Prose or Scripted Trek?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by VST, Jul 30, 2014.

1. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've long been a fan fiction writer & take immense joy out of it, but I've always been much more a proponent of script-based fanfic than the dominant prose.

My question to those of you who read or write… what is your preference? And ideally, why?

I ask because I write Trek & I'm involved in developing a revived fan fiction Trek-only site, and we're hoping people who like both mediums will be interested, but I'm eternally interested in which is more popular.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This question comes popping up from time to time and I recall more people come down on the side of prose than script. But I know people who appreciate both in equal measure.

Personally I don't read script based fiction at all. I find it too awkward and not really suited to tell a written story. It is primarily used, after all, for a filmed medium, where the focus is on telling a story visually. It's very difficult for example to communicate the thoughts and inner workings of a character in script format. A script to me is really more of a manual, a how-to guide to bring a certain story to the screen.

3. VST

You're certainly not the first person to look at it like that, and while I see it a bit differently, I totally get what you mean - prose certainly allows for deeper exploration of character.

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've worked in theatre so I can cope with a script, but vastly prefer prose.

5. Phil

Phil Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I guess it depends on whether you're submitting it as an idea for a story or as a potential for a TV show or movie....

Both can be acceptable, and both can delve into the character quite a bit, but I generally find it easier to read in prose form myself as that way I can relate to the characters a bit easier :-)

6. VST

Is that the general consensus, do you all think? Can prose allow deeper relation & understanding of character than prose? Or is there more to it than that?

I'm genuinely interested, given I've always found the ebb, flow & beauty of a script more attractive.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I have written a script form story once, since its something I've not done before I found it pretty hard going. It may sound weird but when writing, I found there wasn't really a good flow with it.

Prose lets you explore much more of the characters, without them even needing to say a word.

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

IMO the most interesting kind of script or screenplay treatment is the kind you plan to sell or work into something else. On their own they're interesting documents, but less interesting on the whole for telling a full story than simple prose.

9. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I HATE scripted fanfic. Scripts are for performing, prose is for reading.

10. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Another vote for prose. I find the directions, etc. distracting.

11. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

My vote would have to go with prose...unless you are writing your fanfic for actual production. Unless there is a group of people who read scripts for fun, they are primarily a vehicle to enable a story to be put upon the screen, and leave out many elements that are added later via special effects and directors/actors interpretation. Of a necessity scripts are brief and to the point, often if done properly with size constraints and much detail left out so that it can be created on the screen.

Prose allows an unlimited special effects budget! Prose also allows more elaborate and specific descriptions of scenes, reactions, internal dialogue etc., that simply cannot be done with a screenplay, at least not an actual screenplay and not something that looks like a screenplay but would never be touched with a ten foot pole by anyone in the film industry.

Just my opinion.

12. VST

Appreciate the responses here guys - makes me realise for the venture I'm involved in we'll need a healthy dose of prose to get Trek fans aboard.

I do hope some of you above may one day give script a chance though, in pure entertainment form. I've been involved in script-based communities for a decade now and while never as popular as prose, many have really enjoyed getting into the visual-orientated rhythm of a well-written script. The good ones just have a different angle & approach to exploring character that's, to my mind, as exciting & entertaining to read as prose. I've long suspected it may be a format more appealing to writers than just readers, however.

As I say, thanks for the feedback, it's very useful. :)

13. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi folks, my first post here, please be kind.

I think if you are writing characters well known from TV or film appearances, there is a better argument for script format, as we can more easily imagine character feelings and reactions without the writer filling in the blanks (although scripts can also include lengthy prose descriptions). And the discipline of the form prevents writers spending too much time in the characters' heads, something I feel is too often emphasised at the expense of the drama.

I'd like to post some fic to this forum, but I haven't found any guidelines, especially regarding length. Can anyone help?

14. IreneAdler

IreneAdler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I tend to include a lot of nuance in my writing that I don't feel is effectively expressed in script format. In reading, I tend to prefer prose too. I like thoughts and such.