Is James Cawley Really Dropping out of Phase II?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by mos6507, Aug 29, 2014.

1. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

This is just my gut-feeling based on the FB postings, but I think James is going about PII with a sense of insecurity over the degree to which mindshare has shifted to Continues, Axanar, and Renegades. And I think if you're always trying to up-the-ante, you can actually make some bad calls. It might be better to stop looking over your shoulder long enough to just work with what you've got.

Based on what he had to work with in Kitumba, it would have been better to put less time and effort into that, and just get it up there that much faster. He got all upset that unofficial rough-cuts were circulating, but the actual entertainment value of the rough-cuts weren't that different from the final. It wasn't worth the long wait and I think he got too close to it and wasn't able to view it objectively. He could have taken that extra effort that went into Kitumba and finish stuff like Bread and Savagery instead. But then he seemed to feel the need to answer critics of his acting by recasting Kirk.

Recently I've noticed some braggadocio style postings on FB, mostly revolving around the accuracy of the sets and props, which seem to be driven by a feeling of having to sell the merits of the show in comparison to STC (although STC is never referred-to by name). But these details ultimately reach a point of diminishing returns with the audience. And delaying or discarding entire episodes that have been shot gives them nothing to tide people over. Having a release-date locked-in as in Holiest Thing and then pulling it at the last moment is probably the most frustrating thing you can do to your fans. As they say, no work of art is ever finished, only abandoned.

2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh. Feels like speculating about whether he's jealous about this or disappointed about that is kind of unwarranted. He reads this board, maybe we could just hang tough and let him weigh in if he feels so inclined? Just sayin'.

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I don't think this sort of speculation, when you really don't have any insight into what's actually going on, is at all helpful.

Agreed entirely.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I learned a new term. "mindshare".

5. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Moss, I am amused
    by your assumptions that I am jealous of other fan films. I am not. Although I do not view 99% of them, I support everyone that makes one as it is a HERCULEAN TASK!

Kitumba was not held up by me, it was held up because I and the rest of the team did not have access tot he footage for a very long time.

Origins was abandoned because principal photography could not be completed, it was ambitious and lengthy and other issues contributed to that episode being shelved. It was a matter out of our control.

Mind-sifter was re shot due to me leaving the role of Kirk and script issues, it was the right decision and we got a better episode because the choice was made.

Holiest Thing was transcoded incorrectly and thus the footage was muddy, it required color correcting and thus a new edit. Nothing mysterious about an inexperienced fellow doing his Best for us at ingest during the shoot and us having to go back and fix the image. The episode will be out publicly this year and in fact was given to contributors already.

As to my posts about the accuracy of my sets, I am very proud of the work I have done with them, nothing more. I have spent hundreds of hours on them, I set out to make them dead on accurate and cut no corners.
    Best Wishes to all,
    James

6. mos6507

Including Vic?

The last specific incident related to STC that I recall is you expressing a sense of betrayal over Bobby Rice (who played Peter Kirk for you) appearing in STC. You didn't name-names, but rewatching the episode he's easy to spot. If you're really over that feud, would it be fair to expect the people who have or had worked for you to blackball Vic out of loyalty to you?

I'm not going to go down the list of everything that feeds into my speculation other than to say that this is not something I'm just manufacturing out of thin-air.

I started this topic because you posted what sounded like a tirade, culminating in what looked like you completely deleting your FB account. You were not writing in the calm and collected way you are now. You were clearly upset over some incident. But you wouldn't provide full context. That's why you had to go back and clarify--while still NOT sharing what it is that pushed you over the edge.

If nothing else, be mindful about how much you post and how that can be interpreted. Maybe in the heat of the moment, avoid posting anything.

7. BigJake

Wow, I'm sure glad this thread wasn't started for the purpose of wallowing in petty drama and handing out patronizing lectures. That would have been a drag. :rolleyes:

Stay classy, mos6507.

[​IMG]

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Cripes, James responds to OP only to get more allegations thrown at him. If you want him to say to hell with TrekBBS, you're doing a fine job.

9. mos6507

I regret starting the thread, because some people will walk away feeling that nobody would even have thought he was quitting Phase II if not for what I wrote. As for the rest of it, it's common sense that when you're a public figure, the pattern of what you say and the tone you strike over time projects an impression. If that impression seems to be a false one, then you have to work on the messaging. That goes for him, me, or anyone else.

10. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Mos, It is no secret that Vic and I are not friends, but yes I support his right to make his own show, And I don't tell anyone who they can work for or be friends with. You don't have any clue as to what my relationship with Bobby Rice was or is, and what I may or may not feel in that area, and you are only inferring something based on zero knowledge of the situation. That is quite frankly none of your business and I don't comment on those things publicly with folks I don't know and whom are not involved. The internet is a vast wasteland of bullies and trolls, no one it seems is not a target over something, most of the time by people they don't know. It is really sad. I leave you with nothing but well wishes!

11. mos6507

Fair enough. I'm sorry I brought it up. But again, if you're concerned about bullies and trolls, just be careful what you share. You open a Pandora's box that way. I'm not trying to be patronizing, only helpful.

12. allstar77

allstar77 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bullies and trolls and victims! Oh, my!

13. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

You know what, I have followed Phase 2 for about 9 yrs, and I always felt that I could call James a friend.... this post in the face of "slings and arrows" proves to be an insight into a talented, gifted and resourceful ST fan, producer and muse.
    Shoutting it out from the Left Coast, Go James.
    :bolian::techman::bolian::techman::bolian::techman:

14. BigJake

Agreed, James is a class act. :)

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And James Cawley's Kirk is the only one who could possibly sing "(Hunka Hunka) Burning Love" and do it right. ;)

16. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No offense, but you come across as if you're OWED an explanation for whatever behind-the-scene happenings that are really none of our business...

And as to PHASE 2 being overtaken by other productions...All of them bring different things to the table. But from what I can see, PHASE 2 has a powerful new secret weapon if I'm a good judge of certain things, and its name is Brian Gross.

STC has a capable Kirk of its own, but from the single vignette I've seen Gross perform in he is really an awesome choice as leading man. Truly hoping he hits another homerun in Mind-Sifter.

17. Fez

Fez Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Brian Gross' performance in the upcoming episodes will knock your socks off, if watching him on-set is any indication.

****I may be a little biased in my opinion*****

18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I regret you starting this thread. Didn't I tell you guys a while back to lay off the fan film politics.

No more speculation. If someone quits a production, that's legit discussion. Otherwise, it's gossip, and frankly, a pain in the ass to moderate.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Towards Cawley leaving: I wish him all the best and hope he has fun wherever his future endeavors take him.

I liked Gross in the vignette. But, I didn't get "Kirk" from him. He's good, I think he could be interesting to watch, I just think he has yet to find or have that...element, whatever you want to call it for me to buy him as Kirk.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

One of the reasons we were so closed-lipped on Exeter was we didn't want to encourage let alone gainsay the kind of speculation which seemed to greet every post that wasn't a firm "we're releasing on date X". That's why I suggested the countdown to "April Fools Day"... I knew it would drive rampant speculation amongst those who were prepared to see hidden truths under every tribble. ;)