Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Grade Iron Man 2

1. Excellent

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Above Average

67 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Below Average

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Terrible

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Iron Man 2 - Grading & Discussion Thread (spoilers guaranteed)

I am not lying when I say I saw a group of 'couples' actually LEAVE and not come back during my show if IM2. My wife, who is a big RDJ and ScarJo fan was yawning several times during the movie.

:rommie:

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, that's weird. My whole theater was completely packed, and nobody even got up to pee. I mean, I yawned a few times, but that's because it was 3am by the time movie was over.

Maybe your theater was just extra sleepy that night.

3. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

You know, people need to stop considering their theatres as indicative of all theatres.

For instance, the theatre I was in, the majority applauded at the end.

Though, my area is known to have great taste in movies.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I went to the opening night at my hometown theater, and NO one left. In fact there were plenty of us who stayed for the after-credit stuff we knew was coming.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

A bunch of people in my theater left when the credits rolled, and then they slowly filtered back inside to watch the teaser at the end.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

At the IMAX in London everyone was advised that they should wait until after the credits. Everyone stayed.

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah, most people stayed till the end of the credits in my theater as well. This wasn't the case with the first one :lol:

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And I'm sure you know for sure they left because of the movie and not because of some un-related personal matters, right?

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bingo. Unlike other superhero movies, Iron Man seems like a movie series about characters and ideas, not about having big-ass battle scenes. I don't dislike big-ass battle scenes but let's face it, they're all pretty much the same. They're good as seasoning to a strong storyline and strong character arc.

Spider-Man and X-Men have shown some signs of being about characters and ideas (X-Men in particular should have been much more about characters and ideas than those movies actually have been - I've been pretty disappointed in how they turned out, overall) and the Hulk movies with Edward Norton are following that model as well, at least the first one did and I'm hoping they keep that up. Iron Man should be the model for all superhero movies.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And also, the Marvel Movie universe are willing to interconnect their movies in the same world and use the same characters over again instead of just killing them all off when they feel like it (keeping Justin Hammer and Abomination alive). Like a TV show told with movies as each "episode".

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I rewatched the first movie today, it's obviously much better and I think the second movie just tried to cram in too much at once. Seemed like there was a lot going on in the second one.

The first one was much more straight forward and I liked all of the building scenes with Tony making and practicing in the suit, also liked Tony's interaction with Jarvis (the suit's/his lab's AI) and the prototype robot (the one he kept admonishing about the fire exstinguisher.)

12. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I, personally, am not getting this. There was a lot going on, sure, but too much? I didn't feel that at all. I thought it was perfect. It was less straight forward, slightly more cerebral and there were more threads going through, sure...but that's what I want in a sequel. Not once did I feel lost in any of it.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Also, thanks to the first movie's success and TIH doing alright at the Box office Marvel is more comfortable with building an interconnected universe for all their movies. IM2 being "stuffed" is just a result of them using it just as much for universe building for future movies as well as stories about Stark and co.

14. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Thoroughly enjoyable, and a worthy successor to the first film. It picks up more or less where the last film left off, and explores one of the more interesting themes from the comic - what happens when you don't want a secret identity, when the whole world knows you're a masked (er, armored) hero? The cast is excellent and well used; Black Widow had little personality, but well, let's just say it was well cast. Don Cheadle does a good job with Rhody Rhodes, and does the "Tony, I'm your friend and you're fucking up" schtick a lot better than Howard ever did. Mickey Rourke continues to impress in his comeback, and Sam Rockwell is, as usual, hilarious.

15. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I loved his sad little cha-cha-cha in the final presentation, the look on his face when his jokes fall flat. You can see him thinking, "Oh, come on--you eat it up when Stark does it."

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

16. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Just blogged on Iron Man and it's safe to say that I enjoyed part 2 of the series. It's absolutely fascinating how it's now cool to be narcissistic. Other than that little problem, the movie works well on many levels. I recommend it to any fan of superheroes.

17. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Surprised how many people actually loved this whole heartedly. Now, I didn't exactly hate it. But the entire movie did feel like it was stuck in some type of Act 1 quicksand, though.

The race track sequence and Robert Downey Jr. performance overall is what made this enjoyable for me. But if I were to grade it as a continuation to the first film or by itself, I think it is seriously lacking big time.

18. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

What exactly did it lack?

19. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that overall, the first movie was better with a tighter plot. However, a lot of that is being the function of an origin story. The 2nd was a lot of fun because it took the first movie's universe and decided to expand it greatly.

I am really liking Marvel's efforts and unless D.C. really starts to make more than one really good superhero film every 4 years, Make Mine Marvel. :cool:

20. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

BORING!!!!!!

What a snooze fest. Best part of the movie was the Johanssen fight scene. Other than that the movie was pretty damn dull.

I would also say that she didn't look all that hot in the movie either. Looked really average actually.