It's my birthday, and I'll cry if I want to

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Brent, Nov 6, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure how to treat birthdays anymore. A friend and I go out to dinner, I might go to a baseball game, but other than that, what do I do. Do I share it here, do I feel sad that I don't get many Happy Birthday greetings on Facebook? Also, next year I leave for my traditional family camp the day after my birthday (4th of July).

I do kind of wish the trekbbs still had the cake icon they would put in front of the user with a birthday. Maybe it will lead to some PMs (and in my case, what are PMs) of good tidings or something.

Maybe in the end Birthdays are just another day and should be treated as such.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Happy birthday! 34 is not really old, honest. Just wait till you're in your 40s and 50s - those are awesome!! =)

And as for the family: my brother is rather an idiot, too. How about swapping siblings? I'll be your big sis and your sister can have my brother :D Deal?

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your birthday is a culturally accepted day designed to be all about you. And unlike any other day of the year, people who care about you don't give you shit about being all about you on that one day.

Hell, many of them will even indulge you.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. Xip

Xip Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry I'm a little late, but better late than never: Happy Birthday! :D

This might be a little obvious, but do your friends and family know you would like to celebrate your birthday? That you'd like a party and people to call or even really come visit? There can be huge misunderstandings about that kind of things really. And next year, you could always invite your friends and family for a party you throw yourself. At least you won't feel lonely when they come. ^^

5. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Brent, happy belated birthday. And if you're still looking for a way to celebrate, I second everyone who said that you should celebrate for yourself! My favorite way to do so is pampering myself with a hot bath, scented bath stuff and candles. Oh, and a slice of cake from my favorite bakery.

6. rhubarbodendron

So do I! And a good book, a jar of homemade punch and tons of chocolates =)

7. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Brent, you've received 20+ supportive responses to your original post, yet you've never posted back to us (and, yes, I see that you've logged in since then). That makes me wonder whether maybe one reason people don't go out of their way to celebrate your birthday is that when they do do something, like calling to wish you a happy day, you don't seem to appreciate it. I'm not saying that you don't appreciate it, but that maybe you don't sound like you do.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure many if not most of us have had birthday's like that. But as others have said, do something for yourself. Treat yourself to something.

My next birthday is still months away, but I am looking at going on holiday for it. Haven't had a proper holiday in years and as the birthday is considered one of the big ones. And rather than spend it doing very little I feel I should treat myself.

But anyway Happy Birthday.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where are you going to go MacLeod?

11. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

It took me years to learn this lesson. Other people are not mind readers. :bolian: (apparently)

12. rhubarbodendron

Same here :) I'm planning a trip to GB. Any place you can recommend? If you're planning to come to Bavaria, I can give you a few insider tips (though with that username you'll propably go to Glenfinnan or Paris ;) )

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm haven't decided yet.

I was looking at the Western United States. And visiting some of sights there. Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley.

14. Tora Ziyal

^ Great choice. I loved Monument Valley!

15. rhubarbodendron

my sister has been to all four and the pics she showed me were just awesome! I hope I'll get a chance to go there one day.

I also recommend Big Sur/Los Padres National Forrest, a coastal rain forrest in california. It's difficult to get in there (it's one of the most strictly protected areas)but it's totally worth it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur

16. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

This is a great post and something that I think a lot of us do to some extent. Friendships and other relationships take effort. It's not guaranteed that you'll get out of it what you put into it, but it's usually something close.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And if you tell people you don't like big occasions for your birthday, eventually they'll start believing you and they won't throw any surprise parties.

18. rhubarbodendron

thank heavens for that! I for one hate surprise parties. My idea of the perfect b-day is to sleep long, have a chocolate croissant for breakfast, sit in the sun doing a jigsaw puzzle, have pizza for supper and go to bed early with a cup of tisane, one of my favourite books and a handfull of chocolates. And in between all this maybe a chat with my friends online :)

19. Tora Ziyal

^ Pizza and chocolate and a good book. Oh, yes!

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you want the person to enjoy their birthday, not give them a heart attack. ;)

Anyway, a birthday is whatever you want it to be. Doesn't have to be extravagant, but just make sure you enjoy it.