IDW Trek comics plans for '08-'09

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I masked as Firefox, but I'm still not getting comments on Newsarama. Not that I usually read comments anyway...

2. Andrew Harris

Andrew Harris Writer Red Shirt

I've actually been around here for quite a while, but recently changed my I.D. when I left IDW's editing throne to freelance full time. Glad you like "Mirror Images"--Los Bros. Tiptons have done a great job on the entire series, and I think David Messina's art has never looked better.

I think Byrne's Romulans series might be handled slightly differently, since (as I understand the plan) he won't be doing five issues straight, but will be breaking it up after two issues to do a different Star Trek series. After he's done with that, he'll apparently resume the Romulans tale for three more issues (which is a separate, self-contained story that follows the two-issue series); and then, all five Romulan issues will be collected together in one omnibus, probably two or three months after the final issue appears.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

On the one hand, having to wait until early 2009 for Alien Spotlight II is frustrating. OTOH, it'll likely come out around the same time as A Singular Destiny, so it's a big self-promotion feast! ;)

4. Omega Particle

Omega Particle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seeing IDW going strong, expanding the line in some interesting directions and coordinating their efforts more with Pocket Books has encouraged me to sample some of their product. Got my first IDW TBP on order, and I'm looking forward to receiving it!

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which one is it?

6. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

If it's The Space Between, don't worry, they get better.

7. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not an especially strong follower of comics, but I'm a rabid Pocket enthusiast. The series/issues where IDW has tried to link its work to Pocket's (such as the New Frontier mini-series) have been the ones that convinced me to take the plunge every so often, and I'll be buying any comics that legitimately relate to/fit into the same framework as the novels.

Short version: IDW + Pocket = Profit :)

8. historypeats

Good, because I tried two issues of The Space Between and stopped buying after that. Any recommendations in particular?

9. historypeats

To Andrew: Thanks for reassuring the crowd at the Comic-Con panel about the forthcoming Trek movie. Personally, I'm excited to see new people playing in the Star Trek sandbox; a similar infusion of new blood into the fiction line roughly a decade ago led to the Golden Age of TrekLit, and I'm optimistic Abrams and Co. will work similar wonders. After all, we've had forty years of Trek; if Abrams decides to change something in ways I don't like, it's not like I don't have an abundance of other Trek material to enjoy. :)

10. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm really sorry to say it but anything not written by David Tischman comes highly recommended. I've been blown away by almost everything Trek that IDW has put out to date, but the writing in both The Space Between and the first 6 issues of TOS Year Four was just atrocious.

11. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

That pretty much sums it up, though I'm not crazy about the New Frontier comic. Klingons: Blood Will Tell and Alien Spotlight volume 1 are both out in trade paperback, and they're both quite good.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Actually, if Admiral Necheyev's Bularian canapés had been more familiar to me, the obscure ending of "The Space Between" would have been more satisfying. I noticed that, in "Greater Than the Sum" (CLB's new TNG novel), that Necheyev's favourite food is again a story point, but properly explained, so TSB might make more sense to people who follow the TNG Relaunch! ;)

By the way Christopher, your book is GREAT! I love your explanation of the differences between different Borg groups!

13. Omega Particle

Omega Particle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Heh, it was 'The Space Between' so thanks for the warning. I'll pick up a couple before I pass judgement.

14. Andrew Harris

I'd give two big thumbs up to Klingons: Blood Will Tell from the Tipton brothers as well as the Alien Spotlight I omnibus with stories from the Tiptons, John Byrne, myself, and a couple of other great authors. (I know--shameless plug in there, but I think all of the stories are really good.)

And, of course, D.C. Fontana's Star Trek Year Four: Enterprise Experiment, with art by the classic Gordon Purcell, when it comes out in omnibus sometime this fall. It's really as good as I could have hoped for.

Which isn't meant to omit Peter David's New Frontier or John Byrne's Assignment Earth, but those are more specific corners of the Trek mythology.

Hmmm....

Alien Spotlight II...Four Thousand Throats...A Singular Destiny...Four Walls...

Keith, have you joined a numerology cult that we don't know about?

15. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Don't forget "Four Lights" in The Sky's the Limit. :)

16. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there any chance of more TNG down the road? Maybe something aboard the E? I thought I would ask since no once else has yet and nothing was mentioned from the Con about it.

Can't wait for all the exciting planned series to come out through. Loving Mirror Images myself and kind of was disappointed in the shortness for New Frontier.

17. Andrew Harris

Actually, "Star Trek: The Last Generation", which was announced at the con, will be a TNG book (though obviously a Myriad Universes one). In the less-than-two-years since IDW started publishing Trek, that'll be the third TNG miniseries, plus TNG stories in one-shots like Borg, Andorians, etc.

All told, I think they've published 13 or so TNG issues so far in about a year and a half (not counting New Frontier, which is really its own thing), so I'd say that's pretty good so far. And, of course, I'm more than certain that IDW will be doing more TNG series after Last Generation wraps up.

For New Frontier, I believe that IDW Publisher Chris Ryall suggested the likelihood of another series from Peter David at the convention (if I recall correctly), but remember that IDW usually follows a miniseries format, and that PAD had to receive a special exemption to his exclusive contract with Marvel to write the first one, so that had a lot to do with the first series's length/duration.

18. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Should of realized that The Last Generation is an alternate TNG. Just I will miss some adventures on the D for awhile. I still think there are a few out there left to be told since we are now more focused on the E and onwards.

I forgot about that special exemption as well. I guess a wait for another NF mini is good.

19. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Am loving the Star TTRek titles being published by IDW. These books are as good or better than any of the other ST comics that have come before, IMO. Especially the John Byrne stuff. Excellent!

It'd be interesting to see IDW get license for a couple other Rodenberry projects. Say The Questor Tapes, or (my personal wish) Andromeda. An ongoing Andromeda comic would rock, especially if you could get input from Robert Hewitt Wolfe.

20. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dibs on the Tyr mini-series.