Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

somebody HIRE THIS MAN!

2. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Your point?

It was still a completely American organization, reinforced by the subtitle!
    [​IMG]

Just to drive the point home.

3. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Action Force

The actual chain of command of G.I. Joe and it's identical international counterpart has always been a bit fuzzy. They don't appear to be a part of any particular service and generally have a high degree of autonomy.

4. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

So frakking what?

GOD, I wish it was the 80s and early 90s again when studios weren't so cravenly PC that they could make movies about AMERICAN military heroes!

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I know in some of the realtively newer comics the Joe reported straight to the president, they were merely a special-op branch in the regular US military.

The Joes were always supposed to be America's elite and best. As for autonomy, it was the 1980s Regan era military: Fuck you, we're the US military, we'll go were we want and you can't stop us. Their jurisdiction was basically anywhere there was Cobra.

6. hyzmarca

They had Sailors, Marines, Airmen, Soldiers, and Ninjas together in one unit. This isn't usual, particularly the Ninjas. Their Chain of command appears to start with General Hawk and then goes directly to Duke, who isn't even an officer but who commands people who are. They had their own aircraft carrier.

The action figures themselves present a surprisingly consistent military structure, but the series has enlisted personnel flying aircraft and giving orders to officers, among other things.

7. hyzmarca

accidental double post.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  8. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Bull fucking shit. They changed multiple movies as I mentioned because they were afraid to piss off the Americans. Where were you when they changed Master and Commander? Where were you when they changed U-571? Or Enemy at the Gate?

9. darkwing_duck1

So what? Doesn't justify their cockamame excuse for redesigning a character that doens't NEED redesigning.

10. darkwing_duck1

Haven't seen any of those, so I can't comment on them.

Not that they're relevant to THIS film and the anti-US and anti-military Hollywood that is producing it. The same Hollywood that has given us almost a DECADE of "US soldiers are evil/bad/theives/liars/traitors, et al" The same Hollywood that cravenly changed the bad guys in "Sum of All Fears" from Arab Jihadis to European Neo-Nazis. The same Hollywood that "encouraged" the most recent Rambo film to focus on some obscure conflict no one has really heard of outside the international press instead of the War on Terror that it SHOULD have.

(Grant you the situation in the film IS a tragedy and made a pretty good film, but ducking the WoT was PCwood once again not standing up and doing it's duty to support the nation in wartime.)

11. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

How about the Patriot? Saving Private Ryan? The Thin Red Line? Pearl Harbor? U-571? All of those came out pretty much together.

They are RELEVANT because you guys claim they are being anti-PC but in fact are taking a logical step in how to work with GI Joe. Even in the comic books they talk about this and how they had to get approval from each country and such but have to work hand in hand with some of the locals. They have also had a few people especially the Guards they worked closely with and even had one join the team.

For the most part it is a logical step because of the International Status the team has. It was illogical for them to be American and stepping in everyone's back yard without approval or without someone on that team from that nation.

12. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The part you're ignoring is that G.I. Joe is a term referring completely and without question to American soldiers. There is no question about it. It's practically synonymous with it!!!

It is not a logical step to make it a term for soldiers in general. It's insulting to American soldiers and it's insulting to every single other country the world round. Do you think Iraqis are going to rush into the theatre to watch G.I. Joe? Do you think they're going to be proud that their soldiers are being subsumed wholly by a synonym for American?

And worse, how on earth do you think them being an international team gives them permission to just waltz into any country on a whim anymore than it does as them being an American team?

I think the most insulting thing about your argument is that you can't wrap your head around the idea of something being American and having non-Americans working with and for it. Even your last post above this one shows that. Oh, they have to work with locals and even had one join them, clearly that makes them an international organization! That's just silly.

What's next, an organization like the CIA shouldn't be an American agency because they have agents and assets in and from other countries? That's exactly what you're saying should happen. That it's a "logical step" for how they work. That any time anyone or any group works with or hires someone who's not an American, bam, it's an international organization.

It's absurd.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

this is a really really dumb question.. but what does G.I. actually stand for anyway?

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Galvanised Iron

15. darkwing_duck1

Actually, it's "Government Issue".

It's an example of "soldiers' humor", started in WW II. Since everything in their lives was government issued (clothes, housing, food, toiletries), and soldiers everywhere tended to think, somewhat cynically, that they were viewed as interchangeable and easily replaceable, just like all their posessions they started to refer to themselves as "Government Issue Joe, (1 each)".

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GI predates WWII and was short for Galvanised Iron and incorrectly assumed to stand for "general issue"/"government issue" as far back as World War 1 apparently, which isn't the story I was originally told but whatever.

In the case of GI Joe its not used in its original form but the changed Government Issue, General Issue, General Infantry and the other forms that are associated with the common US soldier as you mentioned.

On topic, I don't mind the new Cobra Commander look. Though if he has the tubing that curls around from his chest to the back of his helmet as with the toy that will be foolish...it just screams, "Good guy in a corner about to die by my hands...PULL ME AND GET A REPRIEVE TO FIGHT BACK AND DEFEAT ME!"

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

WOW! As a big TF fan I recall the stink made about some of the TF's and the huge conversations about flames on Primes cab. I can honestly say that all those complaints are washed away when I see what die hard Joe fans are going to suffer through.

G.I.Joe was in my top 5 of 80s nostalgia that I loved but it was in the bottom of that top 5. I had felt mostly ok with the updated designs I was seeing. Didn't even blink at the black combat attire, I mean hey it wasn't flames on their suits, right?
    I would call this look retarded but don't want to insult the retarded by coopting the term cause I really need a harsher adjective.

WTF?! Too KKK. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yes, immediately!

Next, in response to the truly deluded:

Simply go to the Yo Joe website and read the file cards, written by the creators of GIJOE. With the exception of literally one or two people, GIJOE's roster is made up exclusively of personnel drawn from the United States Armed Forces. It's rear echelon commanders - General Austin, General Flagg, General Collingsworth, Admiral "Keel-Haul", "The Jugglers" - are all high-ranking officers in the United States Armed Forces. The unit takes its orders from and is responsible to the United States Government.

The only time it has ever been "international" was when the cartoon was produced by DIC (the animators that gave us Inspector Gadget).

The Oktober Guard is Russia's "highly-trained special mission force." It is not a division of "Joe International."

"Action Force" doesn't count. It is GIJOE for Europeans who like action comics and toys but hate Americans.

Finally, it is the reboot of a strictly American toy concept originated in the 1960's.

So to anyone who, in the face of all this information, is still dense enough to think GIJOE has always been an international group, feel free, but know this: You are a moron.

"GIJOE is the code name for AMERICA's daring, highly-trained Special Mission Force!"

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have high expectations at all for this movie as far as its faithfulness to the original material (based on the costumes I've seen). But, man, that mask is hideous. You'd think they'd be a little more creative than that. Do a Vader rip-off or something.

20. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    What the frak is this? Ignoring the hood, was the reflective helmet really worse?

And that's still Joseph Gordon-Levitt under there, right?

Maybe he dons the hood over this?