Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was this intentional?

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^I expect they will deny it to their dying days... but yes.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I wonder about this too. Although the episode aired 4 months after Gonzalez's boat sinking, there's not enough background information on the episode at Memory Alpha (or anywhere else I can find) to draw this conclusion. I did find one reference giving the first draft date as early January 2000, but that doesn't mean it was inspired by the Gonzalez affair.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Live Fast and Prosper: Impostors pretending to be the crew of Voyager scam aliens. Kind of a silly premise, but still fun and light hearted. No real complaints.
    6/10

Muse: The power of a story! Wonderful departure from the usual sci fi plot. Everything about this episode was well done, from the guest stars, to the sets, and to the great message. This episode got to the heart of what Star Trek is all about.
    8/10

Fury: Still digesting this one...Kes was never one of my favorite characters, but her return for one episode was welcome. Still, it could have been done better. The story was confusing and a bit unrealistic. How did Kes find and catch up to Voyager? And when she came back the second time how is it that she completely forgot the events of her traveling into the past? Her memory can't be that bad, seeing how she remembered where to find Voyager, and she obviously remembered a lot about the warp core and how it functioned. The resolution was silly and unsatisfying. Nevertheless, there's a lot of excitement, and I enjoyed seeing the flashbacks to season one.
    6/10

@tighr: Sorry I haven't gotten around to rewatching that other episode yet. I'm on a roll going through this season. When I have 25 minutes for lunch in a couple days I'll watch the second half of that episode while I eat.

5. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I've always really liked Muse but it seems to have a lees then favorable reputation around these parts. Glad you enjoyed it.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved all the inside jokes in it about gimmicks to script writing. :lol:
    I love most of B'Elanna's stories and I think this one is great!

I think the time travel element detracts from the real focus of the story. From what I took away from it was, Kes is interring the end of her life and is suffering from Ocampan Alzheimer's which would explain her bad memory. She doesn't remember much of her life on Voyager or why she left. She's realizes leaving Ocampa was a mistake and wants to go back home to live her life and die were she felt the most comfortable.
    I actually like it because it's one of the few stories we see on sci-fi or TV that shows getting old isn't as "golden" as were led to believe. Grey hair, wrinkled skin, achy joints & loss of memory, getting old sucks.
    However instead of the time travel aspect of it, I wish they had gone into more about what happens when someone with great mental powers like Kes develops a form of dementia. What types of things would her powers do if she isn't aware of it?

7. teacake

What about The Deadly Years? And Unnatural Selection? And that time Chak shriveled up like an ancient and wise apple?

All that sucked.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    And that really godawful DS9 one with ageing Bashir.

9. teacake

I've blanked that one out.

We can put a man on the moon but we still can't make people look realistically aged on tv.

10. Melakon

Ugh, tell me about it. I'll be 62 next week and I'm dreading it, and have been using a cane for the last 22 of them due to an accident.

But I still have a lot of hair, most of it the original color, and no bald spots.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The worst old age make up was in TNG Too Short a seaosn.

A guest on Conan O'Brien a few months back said "Conan why didn't you ever tell us that you were on Star Trek?"

And they showed a still of old Admiral Jameson when his face was in shadow where all we could see of him was a Conan haircut... And the audience went wild.

12. Melakon

I think Clayton Rohner was like 25 when that was done, which is probably why the makeup was so awful.

And I was wrong earlier, my birthday is in about 2 days. Memory's starting to go already.

13. teacake

No Melakon, it is time travel. Your birthday is sooner than you thought because while you were sleeping you were bumped several days into the future.

14. Melakon

With my luck, Captain Braxton will be knocking on the door pretty soon.

15. teacake

I want Daniels to knock on my door.

mmm....

16. Guy Gardener

Only weaklings count leap days and daylight savings.

17. Guy Gardener

When you say that, I hear it to the theme music of Three's Company.

18. teacake

The only thing that bothers me about getting older is I am going to die some day and from that point on I will miss everything. Time travel would solve this for me. I've never understood why people would choose to travel into the past over the future. I've started polls my whole internet life on this and the past always wins. Just put a frikking movie on, open a book, whatever.. I want to see what I am going to miss out on.

19. teacake

That was my first big tv hate. John Ritter, so bland I wanted to smash him.

20. Guy Gardener

I agree.

I watched 3 (was it 4?) seasons of Hearts Afire a few months back.

Although.

Look at his (real life) kid.

How hot was his wife for that to come out the other end?