Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eaglemoss can absolutely do larger version of the various ships, it's that they can only do the are film ships on the larger scale, when they started this they intended on doing more specials of the various prime universe, but when they got permission to do the Abrams verse, it limited that. As they only plan two or three specials a year.

But yes the refit Enterprise A will be regular sized, i hope slightly larger then what we got, but who knows.

2. mswood

Question for everyone. Now that we have some true shuttles released. In what size form should any further shuttle be released. The miniature size, or the standard size for starships?

Ben mentioned that he has two shuttles that he plans to do (I am guessing he means Federation shuttles not others like the Romulan Shuttle we have seen him get CGI files for).

But he also on twitter is talking about 15 ships from a image of Federation shuttle and support craft.

i assume that he plans on a total of 15 off these to be released. They include several that have already been released, like the runabout, the Delta Flyer, the Maquis raider, the four shuttle already released, the Federation Fighter which is coming up soon. That right there is 8 that are on the image. The image includes enterprise e and Voyager's captain Yacht, something Ben has mentioned. Lets then put that number to 10. It also includes the Federation Scout Ship, and Enterprise E shuttle, and the Argo. I can see all of these getting made. that takes me to 13. Then I assume we can include the NX-o1 shuttle pod and the future ship Aeon, which has also been mentioned on Eaglemoss promotional material. That would get the number to 15.

How close do you think I am? I would post the image but have no idea how to.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

If they do do some more shuttle sets, I hope they're just of the Starfleet/Federations ones in each set and any other Galactic actors in other sets.

Plus I would rather they be the smaller size that the recent set is so they all are the same size. (although not exactly to scale) By my reckoning, there is the Shuttle Pod from Enterprise, the Shuttle from Final Frontier, the Shuttle Pod and the other type of Shuttle from Next Gen, the Defiants other shuttle Pod and the other shuttle used in Voyager.

If all six could be included in one set, I would be very happy and even happier if they kept the cost around the same price sterling wise.

Then of course there are the three auxiliary craft introduced in Insurrection (The Scout Ship, Shuttle and Captains Yacht) which could be a nice three piece package.

4. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Let's not forget the shuttle/warp sled from TMP, the Starbase shuttles from "ST III" and the Executive shuttle from "VI". There's also NextGen's Shuttlepod and the Class-7 (seen mostly in season 2). There's the inspection pod and the shuttlepods from Enterprise. And since it was stated that they're looking at TOS-R, perhaps Harry Mudd's Class-7 ship and/or Sevrin's Aurora. Do ya think the "heavy shuttle" and the "aqua-shuttle" from TAS are possible? I wouldn't mind those.

5. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I would like to see a Work Bee with a cargo train as a separate release, or perhaps bundles with a Spinner Bee (welder) and the one with mechanical arms (I forget it's nickname).

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

TAS ships would be cool. The only thing they've come close to that is the remastered Antares, which is basically a Sherman freighter from the TAS ep "More Tribbles, More Troubles" with a forward-mounted attachment.

7. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Larger also means higher cost.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Precisely. I think they've done a pretty decent job compromising between size, cost and quality overall. Yeah, there have been a couple stinkers, but on the whole, it's been a largely successful line, IMO. No need to make as many larger sized models - in fact, outside the ship-loving fanatics like myself, I doubt less zealous fans would put out the extra coin or the extra shelf space for that. More expense & less revenue for the series would lead to a prematurely-ended subscription and I don't think anyone wants to see that.

9. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

Just received my december delivery here in aus including the Vengeance and it looks like they have decided to continue with the specials here as we are going to be receiving the klingon d4 next month as well.

10. Sans

The only exemption to this is the shuttles. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I got them, but they do seem to be pricey for the size.

Speaking of which, anyone else here with the shuttles? How are you storing the little mags that come with them? Im just wondering seeing how they won't fit in the binders.

11. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just put mine on top in the tote where I keep ships that aren't on display. Not sure what I'm going to do for the long run though...

12. Sans

And there is the rub.

13. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just looking over some of the magazines I have, I'd be interested to know what people here think is the best accompanying magazine so far (regardless of the quality of the ship itself).

14. mswood

They can certainly make the Refit Enterprise A a little bigger. sure it would increase production costs, but it's no unheard of. when they did the Enterprise B, they didn't use the same size from the Excelsior. The model is slightly larger. what II would like (if its possible to fit in the box), I would like them make it in scale to the reliant, or just closer to that size.

t_smitts

magazine quality, god i think so far, i would go with the Magazines for the ships from the JJ film series. Only ship i like is the kelvin, but the Magazines have been great for them.

As for thee rest, I generally like the Magazines that have enough to cover, both the design, and the filming stage (clearly CGI don't have that section, so I would love more design images for those, and we have seen them on some). I am less pleased (even if I understand why they have to), when the issues have too focus material on the episode, the characters, the races eat that is connected to the ship in question. I don't mind the articles about the special effects, that is close enough for me to still really enjoy.

Sans

for the shuttle magazines, I have just put them a small binder I had from work, that has sleeves that each can fit into.

15. Sans

That's what I am currently doing.

Thanks. Not really the solution I'm wanting, but maybe the one that will have to do.

edit: Just had a thought, I just might use string or yarn to place them in the binders...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  16. Brefugee

^I put mine away and haven't thought of them since given they're a waste of paper.

17. t_smitts

The magazines? I think they're great.

18. Brefugee

For the shuttles?

19. t_smitts

I wouldn't know. I was talking about the mags for the regular ships.

20. Brefugee

And I was talking about the magazines from the Shuttles.