STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

With the way things are stacking up. With Man of Steel opening this friday in the US. I can only assume STID is going to struggle more to surpass the 2009 gross domestically. With the combined effort of domestic and foreign boxoffice it should make more than Star Trek 2009 though. Idk film companies can be picky when a sequel film makes less money than it's predecessor.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The needs of the many, the many being Khitomer. I don't think it's exactly torture, certainly it is a lot less than the Vulcan Security Directorate did to T'Pol.

3. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even though I like the film, I once started a thread about its 'really weird things'... So many things are just so weird and out of place... If JJ had made it, the rage he would get for 'raping continuity and the characters' would be astronomical....

4. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Too often do piss poor films turn a profit (see Michael Bay's entire directorial career) watching this film however was a particularly experience dreadful to endure. I hated everything about it especially Jeremy Renner, an actor I despise with a passion.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Valeris, the top spy on the ship, an accomplice in the assassination of Gorkon, who murdered the assassins to cover her tracks, and who refused to cooperate when caught, even though billions of lives and the whole Alpha Quadrant hung in the balance, under the threat of a war that she tried to help orchestrate, that Valeris, we're supposed to think that what was in fact necessary to get the whole truth out of her in order to stop that war was unwarranted? The characters are supposed to think it was unwarranted? Context, please.

Full disclosure: I find TUC to be in the bottom group of the six TOS films, at various times either #4 or #5, depending.

6. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

It is hilarious when people defend TMP, TFF, TUC and the TNG movies.

But. . . .

Trash the Bad Robot TOS films.

:rofl::guffaw:

7. CorporalCaptain

Why'd you leave out TWOK, TSFS, and TVH? What's so hilarious about it anyway? And, who are these "people"?

8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I'll just nitpick this in the spirit of fun. In the USA prisoners have uniforms, sometimes ghastly pink ones but if you look at prisons all over the world you'll see that prisoners are often wearing clothes bought from home, donations anything.
    Some countries even allow wives and families to be in with their husbands in jail.

In POW camps, prisoners wore their uniforms and I think the Klingons would get a kick from seeing Starfleet prisoners.

I know they would at least do a frisk but perhaps Klingons aren't up on the Veridian patch and the obvious placing was done for the audience benefit. Meyer thinks the audience are as stupid as the Enterprise crew.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  9. Blackhorse47

Blackhorse47 Ensign Newbie

As a matter of interest, how? All I can remember of the stuff that happened in the real world is that Enterprise-C tried to help a Klingon outpost, which doesn't sound as if it contradicts anything that happens in TUC.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

ST 6 is a pretty sucky movie - a cheap-looking, clumsy flick that tries to sustain itself on a badly constructed mystery plot that doesn't work.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They didn't snap their fingers and peace was achieved at Khitomer. It was likely a long process with lots of successes and failures and took decades. Khitomer was just the first step.

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

TUC contradicts STV and a lot of TOS where the stories involving Klingons often showed that Kirk was merciful or discovered he was being hypocritical.
    In Friday's child the entire command crew was querying Kirk's conviction of Klingon's guilt without evidence. In STV the crew were drinking and carousing with the Klingons.
    Then suddenly in TUC they're a bunch of racists.
    Despite all this I really liked TUC - my 3rd favourite Star Trek movie.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Klingons go from losing the ability to make war and being forced to sue for peace in VI, to having a war fleet that's dominating the Federation in YE. There's also talk of plans to evacuate Kronos in VI, but then the planet is somehow just fine in TNG.

14. BillJ

Over a fifty year period? Sure. The Klingons likely weren't going to give up their home without attempting to solve the problem. Why would they give up their military? Starfleet sure didn't give up theirs in the intervening years.

There's nothing regarding the Klingons in The Undiscovered Country that can't be easily explained. Plus, I never understood disliking a piece of entertainment because it conflicts with another piece of entertainment.

15. Blackhorse47

Blackhorse47 Ensign Newbie

I seem to remember Starfleet rebuilding the fleet in about 18 months after the Borg atacks, so I'm sure the Klingons can do better!

16. CorporalCaptain

There's nothing like a long period of peace for fixing one's war machine!

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Two possibilites come to mind.

1.>They were able to fix the problem that was affecting Qo'nos.

2.>They relocated to another planet as planned and simply renamed it Qo'nos.

18. BillJ

And lets be honest, the peace between the Federation and Klingons always seemed like it was on the verge of falling apart. It seemed like the Klingons were threatening to ditch the treaty every other week towards the end of TNG/DS9.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Hell, that precise timeline is even explicitly referenced within the dialogue of the film itself:

Federation President Red Foreman:
    "Suppose the following agenda is as follows: the total evacuation of Kronos has been calculated within the fifty earth year time span. Phase I - the preparation for evacuation..."

You know what's a good excuse for building lots of ships? Evacuating an entire planet. You know what's a good excuse for needing extra firepower? Evacuating an entire planet of vulnerable people. You know who would be out of work and in need of government work programs like building a fleet of new ships? The evacuees of an entire planet. There's nothing inconsistent between TUC and Yesterday's Enterprise. The Klingons always had itchy trigger fingers, even toward their Federation allies, as can be seen in the episode with Riker as an exchange officer on a Klingon ship and in The Way of the Warrior.

Plus, I seem to remember many people thinking that the Great War would be the war to end all wars due to the utter devastation, financial burden, death toll, and treaties/restrictions/reparations wrought or placed upon many of the participants, and yet twenty years later the Great War became WWI because they were back at it again.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Red Forman, not Foreman. Dumbass. (Sorry, had to.) ;) :p