What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mari

mari Captain Captain

I'm about halfway through "A Princess of Mars" (Edgar Rice Burroughs). I'm trying to keep my spending under control, so I'm working through anything that's public domain and therefore free on Amazon or iBooks.

Recent not-public-domain free titles (complete with lack of copy editing) include:
    "The Phoenix Conspiracy" - Richard L. Sanders - read more like a romance novel than SF, and some really interesting ideas about what from our time will carry many centuries into the future.
    "Spinward Fringe" - Randolph Lalonde - really epically long, interesting premise (characters are VR gamers who hack into a military training simulation and are then recruited and given their own starship) and more or less good plot. Some slow parts, some confusing bits, but overall I wanted to keep reading it so I guess that's a good sign?

2. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finally getting around to Terry Pratchett's discworld series starting with "The color of Magic" :)

3. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Coming to the end of The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven... I love Niven! :biggrin:

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's good stuff. I've read several of them in Analog or Asimov's or wherever they first appeared, but I need to read the complete collection.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek New Frontier Blind Man's Bluff

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Black Count by Tom Reiss

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

8. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I figured that it was about time to enter the "real" world depicted in the TV series. I am not disappointed!

9. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

The War Of The Worlds by HG Wells (free on Kindle). About time I went to the source, I suppose.

10. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

The Deed of Paksenarion by Elizabeth Moon.

If you like fantasy you should give this one a try. These were the books that got me into reading in the first place. It's about a woman who joins a mercenary army. It's got loads of cool stuff. Dwarves, axes, elves and bad people. Instead of the now popular intrigue, affair, drama, soapy fantasy.. this one actually is fantasy and focuses on life as a warrior.

11. BennieGamali

A fellow Fossum fan! Oh I have to ask if you've read "When the devil holds the candle"? That's my favorite, it's horrible in the good way.

12. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I LOVE this book! This and others in the series, super great stories! :techman:

13. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have read "When the Devil Holds the Candle and thought it was excellent but He Who Fears the Wolf is my favourite Fossum novel. I think that the character of Erkki Johrma is one of the best developed and most tragic characters I have ever come across. Inspector Sejer is my second favourite police inspector coming in behind Arnaldur Indridason's Inspector Erlendur.

14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am embarking on "These are the Voyages TOS Season One" by Marc Cushman. After about 100 pages I'm blown away. Never has the production of TOS been better documented. I am in heaven with this and the IS the book I've always wanted to read about TOS. It is an excellent read!!

15. BennieGamali

Ah yes. Sejer is such a sweet man. And that one is also fantastic, as you say Erki is an amazing character.
    There is a movie, which is quite good. The casting is great but Sejer isn't really Sejer.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: TOS From History's Shadow

17. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Adding the author to my list of future reads :)

18. Miss Chicken

Just a word of warning - two of Fossum's novels have been published under two different English titles each. They are In the Darkness/Eva's Eye and Calling Out for You/The Indian Bride. I almost bought Eva's Eye last month thinking it was one I hadn't read.

19. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I'm re-reading all my Dragonriders of Pern novels...I'm on number ten now, The Harperhall of Pern.

20. Miss Chicken

I am currently reading Seven Touches of Music by Zoran Zibkovic. It is a collection of short stories all with a musical theme, and the third book I have read by Zivkovic this year (The other two were The Library and Miss Tamara, the Reader. Zibkovic is my best "new" author in 2013.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013